Brewer Fanatic

Adam Dunn

Oldcity
How would it be so obvious, if we traded Corey Hart (a season ago, one of the brightest "cornerstones" to our franchise)and moved Ryan Braun (THE Franchise, according to most) to right, just to allow us to acquire Dunn, that we would move Dunn at the drop of a hat to 1B? I don't deny Dunn's position later could easily be made 1B, but is there a more powerful lefty/lefty combination in baseball (insert hypothetical Tex/Papi...Utley/Howard)? Pure power, no equal in baseball. And while the longball is one of our strengths, Dunn's other strength would be a welcome addition, that being his keen eye. Just as an aside, who would win in fisticuffs between Prince and Dunn? Dunn may have the reach, but I would think if Prince got up close, he would break him down fairly quickly. I'm just saying, Prince takes exception to lefties getting a big head in HIS clubhouse. He is Alpha Southie.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Turns out the Brewers did have interest in Dunn if they would of traded Cam Boogie to New York.

http://msn.foxsports.com/...at-on-offense-...-for-now

I guess I'm not heartbroken (Hart-broken?).

Rosenthal's suggestion that there were discussions of moving Corey Hart to center makes me cringe. Also minimizes the comments about the Brewers seeing any immediate promise in Melky Cabrera, given that he would become a 4th OF (which seems much more appropriate).

I had a feeling DM would be looking for another outfielder if we traded for Cabrera. That trade should have been made.

I also believe a Dunn signing makes a ton of sense. I think DM should go even longer than 3 or 4 years though.

Hart and Hall to KC for Grienke makes sense too.

I'd rather have Abreu than Dunn. Love that he gives us OBP, which no one else in our lineup does. Do we think Corey can adjust to center? I'm not so sure, especially because I've never seen a RF who looks at the notepad for positioning more than Corey does. Shouldn't he be able to pick that stuff up?
Formerly Andersoc420

I like Abreu over Dunn too.

But the best value out there is Garrett Anderson. I know the OBP disciples are not all that high on him, but he's a tough, tough out in high leverage situations and always has been.

Of course now that they've splurged on Trot Nixon, all the problems are solved.

Garrett Anderson has OPS'ed over 786 once since 2003.............and is a horrible OF. Don't see how he would fit in, unless you're thinking as a 4th OF for $1-$2M/year. I could go for that.

Dunn is a vastly superior hitter to Anderson, and Abreu to a lesser extent.

Abreu makes up for some of the difference with better (but still bad) defense.

I'm in favor of Dunn if it's in tandem with a trade of Fielder, but an OF of Braun/Hart/Dunn is pretty scary.

This is ridiculous. They signed Trot Nixon to a minor league deal in hopes that he could be useful off the bench. Nothing more, nothing less. Signing Trot Nixon does not preclude them from adding any other outfielder that they see fit, including Adam Dunn.

I'd rather try to move Prince for a solid package that includes a starting pitcher (Jered Weaver?), keep Cameron, and sign Dunn. It'd be nice if we could add the Rockies to the deal somehow to get something like:

Prince going to Angels, Wood and another to Rockies, Weaver and Street to Brewers

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'd rather try to move Prince for a solid package that includes a starting pitcher (Jered Weaver?), keep Cameron, and sign Dunn. It'd be nice if we could add the Rockies to the deal somehow to get something like:

Prince going to Angels, Wood and another to Rockies, Weaver and Street to Brewers

i understand this thought - but why don't the angels simply sign Dunn to play 1B? Then they keep weaver too. And he doesn't cost a draft pick. And Dunn can't be worse than prince at 1B. I don't think money is that big a factor - prince will probably make $6-7 million this year, and after that, pushing $10 million +. Assuming Dunn is going to get around $10 million a year for three or four years, it's not that far off. Of course, Dunn is older, and perhaps some teams are concerned he'll get old fast (not an unfounded fear).

No matter what, the idea of Weaver and Street is sweet.

Trading Cameron, moving Hart to CF and playing Dunn in RF probably would have made the team worse and cost more. Glad that didn't pan out.
Signing Dunn for first and trading Fielder for pitching would have made the team better. That's my preference.

I disagree that Dunn is likely worse at first than Prince. Dunn has at least some range and some arm (given that he's played the OF), while Prince has neither. Plus, Dunn has to run and bend over for ground balls, while Prince can't even stand still while bending over for balls. And being 6'6" would also be nice in a 1st baseman. It has to be tough for infielders knowing that Prince is awful at coming off the bag, often has the wrong foot on the bag, has short arms, is short, and can't bend over. Really, Prince's strike zone (while batting) is bigger than the space his fielders have to throw the ball to make it catchable for him.

This is ridiculous. They signed Trot Nixon to a minor league deal in hopes that he could be useful off the bench. Nothing more, nothing less. Signing Trot Nixon does not preclude them from adding any other outfielder that they see fit, including Adam Dunn.

You might think that and I might think that, but what does Melvin think? There's no indication at all he's pursuing another bat. The talk about Dunn was prior to the Cameron deal dying and the Nixon signing.

Trading Cameron, moving Hart to CF and playing Dunn in RF probably would have made the team worse and cost more. Glad that didn't pan out.
Signing Dunn for first and trading Fielder for pitching would have made the team better. That's my preference.

And what pitching are you going to get? Even if the Brewers sign Dunn teams trading for a 1B/DH (Angels) could instead sign Abreu, Burrell, or Giambi. Or take a flyer on getting Johnson cheap.

A few points:

-Runs are created by OBA and Slugging %. Hence, Garret Anderson is close to straight up bad, and Adam Dunn is a far superior hitter. Dunn is worth significantly more wins than Anderson.

-Greinke has much more value than Hart, and the Royals don't need another OF. They're actually looking to move one of there own. The Braves have had talks of a package for Grienke including Kelly Johnson. The Brewers could do a deal of Hart to Atlanta, Johnson to KC, and another major prospect to KC for Greinke. The question is, would that be to much for Milwaukee to give up for just 2 years of Greinke? I'm not sure myself.

-I agree with those that think Dunn would be better than Fielder defensively at 1B. Defensive metrics have no good way to measure a 1Bs ability to receive throws, so I admit this is very subjective. Dunn is 7 inches taller than Fielder, and he appears to have an armspan much larger than his height. That alone would make him better than Fielder, because I couldn't imagine him being more error prone, or be worse at digging low throws.

-I'd be concerned with Hart in CF, as he hasn't come close to playing up to his ability in RF. Would being the main man in the OF motivate him to take a more professional approach to defense? I can hope, but thats likely not a reality.

If Dunn and Braun played in the same OF, Braun would play RF. Braun has the tools to develop into a solid RF. While he was only average in LF last year, thats pretty impressive for a player who never played the position before, and I'd look for him to continue to improve because of his work ethic, desire, and raw talent.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

And what pitching are you going to get? Even if the Brewers sign Dunn teams trading for a 1B/DH (Angels) could instead sign Abreu, Burrell, or Giambi. Or take a flyer on getting Johnson cheap.
Burrell and Abreu have never played first, and Giambi is just as bad as Fielder defensively so who knows. You don't think teams see a lot more value in Prince Fielder compared to Abreu or Giambi at this point? I realize Fielder is only on a two-year contract essentially, but Abreu and/or Giambi could lose it at any moment.

Even if the Brewers sign Dunn teams trading for a 1B/DH (Angels) could instead sign Abreu, Burrell, or Giambi
The Angels could, but according to this, They won't.

The GM also said it is "not likely" the Angels will retain veteran outfielder Garret Anderson, and that he was not pursuing free-agent outfielders such as Adam Dunn, Bobby Abreu or Pat Burrell.

Thats not suprising the Angels won't pursue that trio, as all 3 don't play with the emotion or fire that Scioscia prefers (not that I have a problem with a player taking a professional approach). I also highly doubt the Angels pursue Giambi, as Scioscia has been very public for his disdain for steriod abusers. No manager in baseball has more power over personel than Scioscia.

If the Angels upgrade their offense, it will most likely come via trade.

I wonder if this is just speculation, or if the writer was told something off the record by Reagins? I'm, obviously hoping for the latter. While Fielder's offseason commitment is lacking, I'd never question Fielders desire once the game starts. I'm guessing Scioscia would fall in love with Fielders passion, at least until he got an upclose look at the dark side of the tempermental slugger.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived