Brewer Fanatic

Adam Dunn

Oldcity
  • Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/7280/BadAngle.gif

http://i27.tinypic.com/28akex2.jpg

These are from Lookout Landing. Ask any Mariner fan about Raul's D. That's why it wouldn't be so bad for the Cubs to sign him. He was 11 runs below average last year, 23 the year before according to UZR. Dunn's pretty bad, too-- -10 per year in his career per UZR.

Besides me being completely fascinated with Adam Dunn right now. There has been zero to very little news on Adam Dunn at all. By far after Teixeira there is only Manny, Dunn, and Burrell are the best free agent bats available. I believe they go in that order to I would rather have Dunn less baggage and will cost less than Manny.

Is this good news that there is basically no news or rumors on Dunn and where he could be going. If the Brewers could land Dunn for a 3 year $36 million contract the Brewers could go in many different directions.

Possibilities include trading Fielder to the Angels for one of their many pitching prospects or trading Hart or Cameron to a team for some pitching help. There is a lot of different directions the Brewers could go to improve the team by just signing Dunn. Even if the Brewers don't trade Fielder this year they could still trade Fielder in the 2009 off season and move Dunn over to 1B untill the Brewers can either draft or develop another 1B.

Unless 1B opens up via a Fielder trade, I'd have no real interest in Dunn. Much of his offensive value is erased because of his terrible defense in the outfield. I've seen one estimate that says he's only worth about $10 mil/year because of it.

Unless 1B opens up via a Fielder trade, I'd have no real interest in Dunn. Much of his offensive value is erased because of his terrible defense in the outfield. I've seen one estimate that says he's only worth about $10 mil/year because of it.
1B is going to be opened up in the 2009 offseason that is when I believe Fielder would be traded. Adam Dunn could be signed for a 3 or 4 year contract. Having Dunn playing LF in 2009 wouldn't be all that bad and you could switch him to 1B for the 2010 and 2011 seasons which helps finding another 1B a lot easier.

If the Brewers sign Dunn trading Fielder for pitching becomes a lot easier than it would if you don't have anyone to replace Fielder with. Dunn gives the Brewers the option to either trade Fielder this year or next year and having someone to fill in for Fielder until the Brewers can find someone else to take that spot.

I would still take Dunn in LF and trade Hart for some pitching help and hold onto Cameron for one more year. Defensively you take a hit but offensively the team is better with Dunn in the lineup.

I also like Dunn with the idea of him being Fielder's eventual replacement. Hart, Brewer and Nelson for Greinke? Keep Cam unless they include a better arm than Igawa. Rotation: Gallardo, Greinke, Parra, Bush, Soup

I think that's a team that can compete now and has some controllable, talented pitchers to build around along with flexibility to trade or extend Hardy and Fielder as we wish going forward.

Soriano/Fukudome/Dunn. Even Jake Peavy would have a hard time keeping him ERA below 4.5 with that outfield. Or maybe it will be Soriano/Dunn/Fukudome, as I believe there was talk about the Cubs promising Fukudome more time in right than in center. Either way, here's hoping for a few Dunn-Soriano collisions in that outfield, if it were to happen.

According to Baseball Prospectus (take it with a grain of salt), Dunn was worth -1 runs above average in LF last year. At the same time, he was listed as 29 runs above average with the bat.

I have a hard time thinking that assuming if we sign Dunn at 12 mil a year for 3 years, we couldn't orchestrate a trade of Hart+a good to great prospect + filler for an MLB ready pitcher such as Grienke that it wouldn't be worth it. According to those numbers, Dunn would be worth about 3 wins above average, and adding something similar to Grienke would be worth a couple wins as well. That's the difference between an 83 win season and an 89 win season.

On top of that, Dunn's skillset doesn't lend itself to getting worse at the plate. He would most certainly get worse in the field, but by then the 1B spot should be open, and he can move there, hopefully with Gamel in the wings to replace him in LF.

I don't see a downside to signing him at 3/36. We get another lefty bat with OBP, don't lose so much on the defensive end, and we have a legitimate replacement for Fielder if and when he gets traded. I think it's our best chance to compete in '09, and it won't cripple us in 2010 and 11.

EDIT: I think Sheets would be the next best option to compete in '09, but I have questions about his durability coming off an arm injury.

But to assume an infield hack, relocated to left field, can easily acclimate himself to a more difficult position in the outfield is far from a certainty. What I mean is that even with such a trade of Hart+, you would still be switching Braun to right. Two seasons ago, our neighbors to the south decided that a failed infielder with inflated defensive stats in the outfield would be well-served to man a premium outfield position. The "Soriano in Center"-Experience was about as successful as "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club." That said...let's at least try it.

I think Braun will be at worst serviceable in RF. I doubt he'll be much below average in the field, and his bat gains a little value since the position is slightly more premium. I see the difference between RF and LF as in the arm, and I think Braun showed that his arm was fine last year, but his routes needed work.

But that's only a guess based upon observation, and that can absolutely be wrong. Sadly, THT doesn't have his arm ratings for 08 up, so I can't really verify the claim with any metrics.

But to assume an infield hack, relocated to left field, can easily acclimate himself to a more difficult position in the outfield is far from a certainty.

Except that Braun's skills would also play well in RF. Like cwolf says, at worst Braun is "serviceable"/slightly below average in RF. And he wouldn't be hurting his overall value by playing there.

I have a hard time thinking that assuming if we sign Dunn at 12 mil a year for 3 years, we couldn't orchestrate a trade of Hart

Me too. I'm playing the part of the skipping record here, but imho Dunn is the type of player a team like the 2009 Brewers should sign & then worry about everything else (where he'll play... who to ship off to make room for him, etc.) later.

...was about as successful as "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club."

that's a GREAT album http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Are there any indications Dunn can play a serviceable first? I would hate to get rid of one poor fielding firstbaseman just to replace him with another. If he could be at least be average at first, I'd like the idea of signing Dunn and trading Fielder for pitching. If he would be Fielder-like or worse at first, no thanks.

The more I think about it the more I believe the Brewers can't afford Dunn's defense anywhere but 1st base.

Probably true. But if you sign him to a 3-4 year deal, you really only have to put up with his defense in the OF for one year or so before he does end up at first base due to the likeliness of a Fielder trade.

Probably true. But if you sign him to a 3-4 year deal, you really only have to put up with his defense in the OF for one year or so before he does end up at first base due to the likeliness of a Fielder trade.
I've advocated from day one that we try to sign Dunn for 4 years 40M to play OF. We could have a 4 man rotation with Dunn/Cameron/Braun/Hart this year. Next year, Hart could possibly play CF - or Dunn takes over at 1B for Prince.

The problem is, signing Dunn means he likely has to play 1B at some point. How upset would Prince be to know his replacement is standing by?

ILuvdaBush---The "Soriano in Center"-Experience was about as successful as "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club."

Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles

2. Pet Sounds, The Beach Boys

3. Revolver, The Beatles

4. Highway 61 Revisited, Bob Dylan

I didn't realize that Soriano was considered by some as the greatest CF of all time.

In all seriousness though, signing Dunn and packaging Hart and a prospect for a pitcher makes almost too much sense for it to happen. Fielder is on his way out, so you've got your 1B of the future in Dunn. By that time, Gamel will hopefully be ready to take over in LF (color me skeptical about his future at the hot corner).

If I was GM, signing Dunn would be my #1 priority this offseason. It's fun to think about, but I seriously doubt it is going to happen; it doesn't seem like a Melvin kind of move.

ILuvdaBush---The "Soriano in Center"-Experience was about as successful as "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club."

Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles

2. Pet Sounds, The Beach Boys

3. Revolver, The Beatles

4. Highway 61 Revisited, Bob Dylan

I didn't realize that Soriano was considered by some as the greatest CF of all time.

I think he was referring to the movie, not the album.

I've always thought an OBP heavy guy who sees a lot of pitches has a positive impact on the players around him as well (although I don't have any statistical study to prove so).

Not only would we be adding Dunn's OBP heavy lefty bat to our lineup, we would be helping our OBP lacking righties.

How upset would Prince be to know his replacement is standing by?

If Prince were so concerned about not being replaced, he'd be open to signing an extension. The money he's going to want is his demand. If he's not committed to staying in Milwaukee, the Brewers should plan accordingly. If that makes him pout, so bit it. He's not going to not try since that will cost him money anyway. A lineup featuring both Dunn & Fielder from the left side with the righty bats we already have is quite strong.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived