Brewer Fanatic

Adam Dunn

Oldcity
  • Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm doubly surprised. I remember when he first hit the FA market and people were banding around a $10-12M/yr contract. I thought THAT was awe-inspiringly low for a slugger of his ilk. So we could cut salary by trading Prince and signing Dunn??? CRAZY market.

Link

One agent I spoke with today said that "I think Dunn will get a max of $5 million per year. Anything more than that and I'd be surprised."
Onion Headline to read: "Adam Dunn prices self out of major league baseball"? He's got a family to feed you know.

I get why athletes make proclamations about what they are willing to do, yet I have hard time truly understanding why the intentionally devalue themselves. Are some of them just that delusional about their abilities? He's horrible in the field so by limiting himself to LF, he limits his value... wouldn't a good agent try to explain this to a player? 1B could extend his career... so he has to learn and care about the IF signals to know who's covering what, is it really that big of a deal in the end?

edit. It's not like he's Hardy who's a very capable defender but the team has a better defender coming up behind him so it's in the team's best interest that he would switch positions to say 3B, not his own. Hardy will be able to get a SS gig when his time comes, Dunn on the other hand is jobless and is only making it harder on himself.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

There's a lot of people with houses on the market in the same state of denial. Just like a house, you're worth is determined by what someone is willing to pay you, not by what you think you're worth or what someone paid for someone else. Except for a handful of teams, MLB franchises are worried about the economic impact on revenues. If none of those few teams needs you, then your value drops.

I am pretty sure at this point I would be content in trading Corey Hart to the Giants for Jonathan Sanchex and a reliever/prospect and then signing Dunn for 3 years/30 Million. I think we would be adding at least another $6M on the payroll but I think the team would be substantially improved if that were to happen.

If Dunn is available for less than $10M a year, I think Melvin has to explore as many options as possible to clear up a little payroll for him.

I'd go as high as 4 years/$40 million for Dunn, personally. He's only 28, and would look awesome in the Brewers lineup. Between Dunn, Fielder, and Braun, you have the potential for 120+ homers a season. Yes, his defense sucks and he strikes out a lot, but so do most of the Brewers lineup right now. The more I think about this, the more I can't see why it can't get done. If they need salary relief, they could trade Cameron to the Yankees for a bag of balls, and the salary would be a wash. I suspect maybe Melvin already talked with Dunn's agent, and they told him Dunn just wasn't interested in coming to Milwaukee or something.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

If they need salary relief, they could trade Cameron to the Yankees for a bag of balls, and the salary would be a wash.

Who's to say that at this point the Yankees a) still want Mike Cameron without trading either Swisher or Nady, or b) Would still not try and force the Brewers to either acquire Kei Igawa in the deal, or to pay a significant portion of Cameron's salary anyway?

If they need salary relief, they could trade Cameron to the Yankees for a bag of balls, and the salary would be a wash.
I will be livid if we need salary relief. Opening day salary last year was $80 million, and finished at $88 million. They made money. Then they raised ticket prices, got renewals on all luxory suits at higher rates, added a major sponsor, and have sold more tickets to date than ever before. We are getting the usual financial windfall a team gets after making the playoffs. I supported the Sebathia trade because making the playoffs helps increase the baseball budgett.

Our payroll is looking to be $72 million with the players presently on the roster. Thats about $14 million short if you ask me. I expect a major signing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived