Brewer Fanatic

Adam Dunn

Oldcity

I didn't see this anywhere else, so please move if it's already being discussed.... But how the heck could Arizona not offer Adam Dunn arbitration? They gave up three prospects for 44 games of Adam Dunn and then don't even get picks for him?! They were apparently afraid he'd accept, but even if he did (way unlikely IMO) what's so bad about one year of Adam Dunn? It's not like he couldn't be traded! I'm pretty baffled by this.

I'm interested in Dunn but really only for first base because he's such a terrible outfielder. That would obviously make Prince Fielder trade bait for pitching or whatever.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If they put him in left they'd absolutely need to keep Cameron to cover the outfield. After looking at it, Dunn hasn't played quite as much first base as I thought. I still think I'd be inclined to try him at first base though if they feel he can handle it (can he be worse than Fielder anyway?) because outfield defense wouldn't take a hit and Fielder could be used to acquire a good pitcher.

Now that Dunn's not been offered he's likely to get anywhere from $12-16 million per year or more. That's a little pricey for the Brewers I would think especially if they keep Sheets or go after another starter.

You might be able to get a good LH bat Garrett Anderson on a one or two year deal for less than half that.

Either way, your OF defense is going to take a major hit.

Sounds like just about every single FA out there, restricted or not, who could actually help this club is a little too pricy for the Brewers. Are we actually a major league ball club or just pretenders? Having said that Dunn, Ibanez and Abreu are not the answer. Too many warts on all 3. Their defensive liabilities would kill this ball club. I would much rather spend additional money on a young, very good all around ball player. Spend the extra money on CC or Texiera than the players listed above. If you really want to compete, you have to spend the money one way or another so overspend on quality instead of at best average quantity. We suppossedly have a very good farm system that should be able to fill in the holes at a cheap price.

It's going to be a very interesting offseason. I think a lot of players are going to be surprised by what they end up receiving, and some of them may be better off accepting aribitration (the few that received it) in hopes of a better situation a year from now. There is growing speculation that Ben Sheets might be one of those players, which I would be very happy with.

Adam Dunn, Pat Burrell, Randy Wolf and Kerry Wood are among the surprising players not offered arby. It seems clear that teams are fearful having their budgets impacted by having those players possibly count towards the bottom line in 2009. A team like the Brewers, who may have some money to play with, could be in a very good situation this offseason, and if they do intend to move any of their young players, the price tag might have immediately went up since teams are clearly unwilling to spend big money on the players that are availalble.

Thats the thing I do not get, the FED is so afraid of deflation that they are pumping tons of money into the system. That generally causes inflation, in which case it wouldn't it be less risky to spend money on a club? I am asking this sincerely, I am ignorant when it comes to economics.

It's very telling when you see guys like Burrell, Wood, and Dunn being cut loose like this. These teams were literally afraid that players might accept arbitration.

Apart from Sabathia and Teixeira - all bets are off.

Remember Jody Reed? Something like that is coming this winter.

I have no idea how much the Brewers will budget for payroll in this environment, but there will be quality players available.

The Dodgers did not offer arby to Rafael Furcal, even though several teams have publicly expressed interest in signing him.

Sounds like just about every single FA out there, restricted or not, who could actually help this club is a little too pricy for the Brewers. Are we actually a major league ball club or just pretenders?
Yes we are an actual MLB club, but we can't pretend that we have unlimited means.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Dunn could also make a decent option to replace Fielder at first......
That is actually what I was thinking. You could sign Dunn to a 4 or 5 year deal and have him play LF this upcoming season and then have him play 1B in 2010 and trade Fielder for a young stud pitcher. By 2010 Gamel should either be at 3B or in the OF plus having Cain and others the OF should be set with a Braun, Cain, and Gamel OF. But we would be giving up on Hart at least for this upcoming season. Hart wouldn't be a bad option as a 4th OF giving Cameron and Dunn days off here and there.

Yeah I mentioned that earlier but I didn't realize that Dunn hasn't played first as much as I thought. I suppose he can't really be worse than Fielder, but I really have no idea how well he plays first base... I imagine not very well.

offer Adam Dunn 4 years and 44 million. If he accepts ship Cameron to New York and shift Hart to Center, Braun to right and Dunn to Left. Defense wouldn't be that good but a lineup of

Weeks
Dunn
Braun
Fielder
Hardy
Hart
Hall
Kendall

That is a rediculous lineup especially if Weeks, Hart and Hall can rebound at all

I'd be interested in putting him in left field and moving Braun to RF, I think he is the best available free agent bat not including Texiera.
Dunn in left, Cameron in center, Hart in right

Braun-Hardy-Weeks-Fielder in the infield

Weeks

Hardy

Braun

Fielder

Hart

Dunn

Cameron

Kendall/Rivera

Brewers, meet NL pitching... NL pitching, meet your worst nightmare!

The Dodgers did not offer arby to Rafael Furcal, even though several teams have publicly expressed interest in signing him.

Since they changed the rule that allows teams to now negotiate with players that are not offered arbitration, teams typically do not offer arbitration to players that do not have either Type A or B free agent status. Meaning, Furcal leaving the Dodgers does not effect whether or not they get a draft pick.

And while adding Dunn to the lineup improves the offense, I'm hoping the team continues to place a greater emphasis on defense with their decisions moving forward. Shifting Hart to CF and having Dunn, Abreu or even Pat Burrell on an OF corner improves the offense on paper, but what the team would lose in defense may not be worth the trouble.

offer Adam Dunn 4 years and 44 million.

I doubt that gets it done...I bet it would have to be closer to 4 yrs/$60 million.

It might not get it done. However there is a lot of anti-Dunn upper management people out there and Dunn was not offered arbitration, so maybe it does get done. I also bet someone might offer him more, but 4 and 44 is the most I would go for Dunn at this point for the Brewers because like colbyjack said our Outfield Defense would take a hit. Maybe I would go 4/48 but there is no way the brewers should go to 4/60

Dunn in left, Cameron in center, Hart in right

Braun-Hardy-Weeks-Fielder in the infield

I think if a pitcher ever went to hell, this would be his defense when he took the mound. Jeff Suppan would give up 10 runs a game with this abomination of a defense.

Dude... Clancyphile... Braun is never ever ever ever playing 3rd again.

If they are going to trade Fielder, this is the year to do it, from this point forward his value only goes down.

It depends on how Melvin is viewing the club, long term or short term. Is he trying to put the best club on the field that he can in 2009 or is he looking at 2010?

Dunn would be an excellent option at 1B as would Burrell if they were to move Fielder for pitching. If Gamel wouldn't stick at 3B either he or whomever is at 1B could move back out to the OF. The possibilities are really pretty limitless with both Hardy and Fielder relatively expendable (expendable in the grand scheme, I know opinions on who and when vary). This seems like a very good off season to do some dealing.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

While I was on the fence regarding trading Fielder this offseason, I agree with TheCrew07 that it makes a significant degree of sense to seriously consider trading Fielder now with the free agent (and compensation free) options available.

The drop off in offensive production from Fielder to Dunn or Burrell would be somewhere between slight and negligible and I can't imagine either's defense being any worse. Add the value of what the club could get for Fielder, and it makes a lot of sense.

Of course Dunn and Burrell would have to want to come here, play first base, and be paid well.

Archived