Brewer Fanatic

Yankees decline arbitration to Abreu

I understand that but I don't see the outfield depth as so great with cheap talent that it makes any sense at all to trade a viable young player if we have to replace him with a more expensive player.

Again, it's not that the OF depth is great, it's that the rotation depth/quality is worse, and there are more options out there to fill potential holes in the OF.

Why not just sign a free agent pitcher with that money and keep the cheaper younger guy we already have?

Because you can always get hitting cheaper than pitching, especially in this offseason's free agent class. And because none of the free agent pitchers are young, quality arms like Hart could potentially bring in return.

Yeah Abreu isn't a RFer anymore and his bat doesn't work that well at LF. Add in his power delcine (ISOs of .164, .162, and.176 last three seasons) and I fear he has a decent chance of completely falling off a cliff.

At this point, Abreu is horrible in the field. Horrible. This cannot be overstated enough. Plus I think that others are right in that he'll be pricier since he won't cost comp. picks. I think he'd be best used with a team that has a DH spot & needs a one-year boost in OBP. At best he certainly should only be expected to sustain his offensive production. Although that's solid, I think overall he would be about a wash for an NL team.

Imagine this scenario for those who want to sign Abreu, trade Cameron, and move Hart to CF. Also pretend Gamel is platooned at third with Hall.

Weeks at 2nd, Fielder at 1st, Gamel at 3rd, Hart in CF, and Abreu in RF when a righty is on the mound.

What a potential defensive nightmare, our pitchers would be on suicide alert

Archived