Brewer Fanatic

Plesac for Hall of Fame?

zurch1818

This is going to be an interesting Hall of Fame year. Only one player really stands out on the list that I saw in the article that would be a lock to get into the Hall of Fame and that is Rickey Henderson but Dawson and Blyleven could get in. Plesac is going to have to wait like Goose had to wait and I'm not even sure Plesac should be in the Hall of Fame.

I don't remember him pitching for the Brewers, but he did up a solid career.

Congratulations on making a lot of us feel old. Plesac is the first Brewers closer that I remember; I learned about the save rule due to an article about him in one of the team's yearbooks (1989?). I don't know that he was a dominant closer long enough to make it into the hall, but he became one of the game's top situational lefties (although I think Orosco probably has him beat as one of the original LOOGY's), which has really transformed the way that teams view the bullpen.

Plesac in HOF? No.

His career got off to a nice start, but despite it's longevity, it was pretty undistinguished after 1989. Plesac doesn't belong in same sentence as Gossage.

I think Plesac's career actually makes a good argument and test trial to see what qualifications a long term middle inning reliever has to have to get elected to the Hall. Look, just because you accumulate Saves which is far easier these days with Closers rarely going past an inning or seeing action in games where saves aren't available for accumulation doesn't mean there are not some lockdown middle inning relievers or even set up men that deserve a look.

If not Plesac, who? Orosco based on longevity alone?

Rp

My biggest Dan Plesac memory was him throwing one pitch in the All-Star game one year ('89, maybe?). I was mad he didn't get to stay in the game longer.

He was a good pitcher, but probably not really Hall of Fame worthy. Maybe he can go on the Brewers "Walk of Fame" someday.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

No chance in my mind. The qualification in a lot of voters' eyes is whether or not the player in question was the best at his position over his career. I think we can all agree that that is not the case here. He has no "automatic" stats to get in (300 wins etc.). I'd be shocked if he got 10% of the vote let alone 75%.

No chance in my mind. The qualification in a lot of voters' eyes is whether or not the player in question was the best at his position over his career. I think we can all agree that that is not the case here. He has no "automatic" stats to get in (300 wins etc.). I'd be shocked if he got 10% of the vote let alone 75%.

In fairness no Middle Inning Reliever will ever have any "automatic" stats because there really aren't any in the Hall. Which is sort of a shame because teams don't win without them.

Rp

I agree that it's a shame, but it's the way it's always been. It's a slippery slope. If you vote one in now, who else from the last century that was a middle reliever deserves to be in, etc etc. I feel a little differently about the HOF though. I would err on the side of fewer players and only have the all-time greats in there.

I thought this thread was going to be filled with joke posts. I am shocked that anyone has even put together two serious words about Plesac's HOF resume.

And I echo bjkrautk's sentiments on feeling old when a Brewer fan didn't know Plesac was on the Brewers.

The best reason I can think of for voting for Plesac is to give him the ability to tell his grandchildren that he got some votes.

Regarding Orosco, is oldness a requirement to remember that he was a Brewer from 1992-94?

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Our usability director sucks at using Yuku.

Triplicate posts are now deleted. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I thought this thread was going to be filled with joke posts. I am shocked that anyone has even put together two serious words about Plesac's HOF resume.

And I echo bjkrautk's sentiments on feeling old when a Brewer fan didn't know Plesac was on the Brewers.

That's actually what I thought too, but since people were treating it seriously, I figured I would too.

It's not that I don't remember him on the Brewers -- I just don't remember him actually pitching. The only thing remember, and I mean only, is my dad saying Plesac, Plesac, Plesac after blowing a save when we were at a game in KC when I was 5-6 years old.

I don't think that Plesac will be seriously considered by most voters, but the more general question regarding what standards to use in evaluating relief pitchers is intriguing to me. I'm not a fan of using Saves to judge relief pitchers, so I guess ERA might be the best stat. It's tough because the role of the bullpen has changed significantly over the years so there isn't much of a historical precedence.

While this may not be completely accurate, I generally view middle relievers as failed starters. I would have to be pretty blown away by a middle reliever to begin considering them for the HOF. (I subscribe to the notion that the HOF should be limited to the super-elite players.)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Absolutely Plesac should be in the HOF!

Of course, since my first Brewer game was watching Don August beat Roger Clemens with Plesac closing the game, that might prejudice my judgements. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

He should be in the Brewer HOF. When do they make those judgements?

Archived