Brewer Fanatic

Sabathia, Sheets, Shouse offered arbitration: Latest- All three decline

And That
The Buster Olney blog on ESPN links to the Arizona newspaper and cites the dowturn in the economy as the reason AZ didn't offer arby to Dunn but they did offer to Cruz and Hudson. I guess they really didn't want to pay Dunn $15 million for a year? The same Olney blog also mentions that the Phillies didn't offer arby to Burrell or the Dodger to Furcal, both of which surprised me a little as well.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Buster Olney blog on ESPN links to the Arizona newspaper and cites the dowturn in the economy as the reason AZ didn't offer arby to Dunn but they did offer to Cruz and Hudson. I guess they really didn't want to pay Dunn $15 million for a year? The same Olney blog also mentions that the Phillies didn't offer arby to Burrell or the Dodger to Furcal, both of which surprised me a little as well.

I'm also surprised by the lack of players offered arbitration. Although I think it has less to do with the economy and more to do with cost control. That was at least the reason Brian Cashman gave when asked why no one was offered. Though the Diamondbacks did lay off something like 30 front office employees recently.

BTW, I'd also like to jump on the Dunn bandwagon.

Really, they couldn't have traded Dunn if he accepted? Offering him arby just seems to make no sense. He's likely to decline, and even if he accepts you can just trade him for a player you'd rather have (less talent with lower salary or a prospect). That is, unless there's no market for 29 year old players who almost never miss games and can put up a .900 OPS with an OBP just under .400. If so, this is the year for Attanasio to sign a bunch of great players to cheap backloaded deals that will make them insane bargains when the economy recovers.

Passan brings up a point I read elsewhere today: Teams that are short on money may not value the draft picks that come with a Type A signing elsewhere. For a team like the DBacks they may not actually want to pay out the draft bonuses to 6 additional picks. Seems shortsighted, but if the owners don't have the extra cash and if it is harder to get credit lines to pay for those bonuses, it may be a risk some teams just don't want to make.

Per TH, Sheets is likely to decline arbitration

Report: Sheets likely to decline arbitration

By Tom Haudricourt of the Journal Sentinel
Dec. 3, 2008 4:29 p.m.

Citing a "major league source," FoxSports.com's Ken Rosenthal writes that free agent right-hander Ben Sheets probably will decline the Brewers' offer of salary arbitration.

Rosenthal's source told him that Sheets and his agent, Casey Close, are confident they can at least get a two-year deal on the free agent market rather than accept a one-year deal through arbitration with the Brewers that could be worth $14 million or so.

I have tried to call Close but he usually doesn't return phone calls, so I'm not expecting to hear back from him. Sheets indeed might find a two-year offer on the market but it doesn't help that he has a history of injuries, including a torn muscle near his elbow that sidelined him at the end of the 2008 season. The signing team also would have to forfeit a first- or second-round draft pick to the Brewers.

The Brewers offered Sheets arbitration to cover themselves either way. If he signs elsewhere, they'll get two high draft picks in return. If he accepts, they'll have him on a one-year deal for 2009.

If Sheets indeed does decline arbitration, that means Close probably will have heard from other teams expressing interest in offering a multi-year deal. Otherwise, it would be a risk to turn down the lucrative one-year offer from the Brewers.

Follow me on Twitter

Well, if the Brewers are even considering offering Sheets more than a one year deal at this point, it becomes even more imperative to nail down the CC situation. I doubt they can sign CC and then pay Sheets something like 30 million for 2 years. Would just be tying up too much of the annual payroll in two guys, even if it's for two years.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I would not have a problem giving Ben a 2 year deal. And a third year option isn't bad either. Especially if he stays injury free and puts up the types of seasons we all know he can. CC seems like a pipe dream so getting Ben back to go with Yo and Manny would be very nice.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Shouse has declined arby, according to TH. Perhaps a little bit of a surprise. Then again, maybe not.

Shouse declines arbitration

By Tom Haudricourt of the Journal Sentinel
Dec. 7, 2008 10:22 p.m.

Reliever Brian Shouse has declined the Brewers' arbitration offer, so if he signs with another club, the Brewers will get one compensation pick between the first and second rounds because he is a Class B free agent.

The Brewers can still negotiate with Shouse but he has been looking for a two-year deal and they don't want to go beyond one year. Shouse, 40, was 5-1 with a 2.81 ERA in 69 appearances with the Brewers last year.

We're still waiting to hear on right-hander Ben Sheets. Obviously, CC Sabathia isn't going to accept the arbitration offer when he can make more than $100 million on the market.

Follow me on Twitter

Somewhat surprising that Tom H hasn't gotten word on Sheets yet. Not sure if that means anything one way or the other, but I'd think a delay in the news suggests that it may have been a decision that the Sheets' camp thought hard about.

It seems like the jsonline sports staff really wants to get rid of Sheets. After Hunts column last week, which basically ripped him apart, and w/ TH repeatedly saying that there is basically no chance that he comes back w/ the Brewers next year, when it sounds like that is not what Melvin is saying at all. From what I hear, it seems like Sabathia is the first choice, and if he decides to go elsewhere we will then go after Sheets.

After Hunts column last week, which basically ripped him apart, and w/ TH repeatedly saying that there is basically no chance that he comes back w/ the Brewers next year, when it sounds like that is not what Melvin is saying at all.
I think Melvin is open to Sheets returning.

I think Ben Sheets is done with Milwaukee. He wasn't always treated the best here in Milwaukee, and if he signs and gets hurt - he will be booed mercilessly again.

Ben would be better off pitching in a new location where the fan base stands behind him. (Plus, he would like an American League team closer to Texas)

Well, I think a lot of the reports are based on reporters who actually did talk to Sheets in person at the end of this past season. Everyone has said that the impression they got was that he was dead set on the fact that he would be moving on. Of course, feelings could change after a month or two, and if he finds that there isn't a huge market out there for his services. It doesn't sound like the Astros are much of an option for him at this point, as once thought.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm thrilled Shouse declined. Imagine getting a sandwich pick for 40 year old loogy who would have been behind Stetter in the pecking order anyway. They got all they could have expected out of Shouse. It was time to let another team roll the dice on him anyway.

Archived