Brewer Fanatic

New "Star Trek" Movie

TwinsBrewersWorldSeries

I just saw the new trailer for the film before seeing 007. I was actually stunned that it was a preview for a Star Trek movie. I was a casual fan growing up of TNG and DS9, but haven't really been interested in any of the Trek movies of the past decade. My initial thought was "WOW". After reading a bit, it seems they are trying to "reboot" the franchise like they did for Batman and 007. Anyone else plan to see this movie in May?

I heard Matt Damon was rumored for Kirk, but it looks like they took someone else (Chris Pine? - who is that)

Zachary Quinto ("Heroes"' Sylar) is playing Spock:

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTc0NTg1OTE4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTI3ODQwMg@@._V1._SX270_SY400_.jpg

I grew up watching TNG, but never really got into DS9 or anything after that. I don't think I've seen a Star Trek movie since "Generations" but I may have to check this out.

Gruber Lawffices

I've never been much of a Star Trek...watched the TV shows in re-runs once in a while, but that's about it. The movie looks like it could be pretty cool, though. They are definitely trying to make the franchise hip and modern again, as you suggested in your post, TBWS.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I was a huge fan of the original series and TNG. I never liked DS9, and I lost interest in Voyager and Enterprise. I've seen (and own) all of the movies.

I'm glad Rick Berman is no longer in charge of Star Trek. I think he distorted Gene Rodenberry's vision.

The new movie does look interesting. It will be a bit tough getting used to new people playing such familiar roles, especially Sylar as Spock. It will also be interesting to see how much they broke with the past, like Spock's mother being Vulcan instead of Human (Winona Rider). But I'm looking forward to it and hope it revives Star Trek.

I'll definitely see this in the theaters. I don't want to even read articles on the movie so that I don't have anything spoiled. I don't really care for JJ Abrams, but the trailer has given me hope. I love TNG, but have only watched some episodes of the original series. I'm familiar enough with the characters, esp. since I watched the movies, but I might watch some more before I go see the movie.

I've watched just enough Star Trek in my life to be moderately interested by this new movie. I went over to the IMDB page for the movie, and wandered into the discussion threads. What a treat. I fancy myself a bit of a nerd, but I'm not even in the same area code as some of those folks. I stopped reading when the discussion got ugly...someone took exception to the fact that Kirk was driving a car in the trailer for the movie...when he mentioned in episode number "XX" that he knew nothing about cars or how to drive them. Some of the hard-core fans are threatening to boycott the movie....that will paralyze the economy even farther :-)

Also, I watch "Heroes", and Zachary Quinto is a pretty decent actor in that show, so hopefully that translates over to cinema.
...or at least he is when his character doesn't turn on a dime, like he did Monday night. (Don't think that one's spoiler worthy, since I didn't give any details.)

I liked the original series quite a bit, and really enjoyed TNG; was never able to get into the other spin-offs. I don't think I even saw the last two movies.

J.J. Abrams has me hooked, going all the way back to season 1 of Alias, so I'm sure I'll be watching this one in the theater.

Also, Simon Pegg as Scotty. :D

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I saw it last night and loved it. One of the funnest movies I've been to in a while. JJ Abrams did a good job. Especially with the casting. For the most part everybody was great. Chris Pine is going to be a huge star. Karl Urban did a good McCoy and Simon Pegg was perfect as Scotty.

I saw it last night and loved it. One of the funnest movies I've been to in a while. JJ Abrams did a good job. Especially with the casting. For the most part everybody was great. Chris Pine is going to be a huge star. Karl Urban did a good McCoy and Simon Pegg was perfect as Scotty.
Completely agree. Not sure how it is that this movie was written by the same duo who write Fringe and the Transformers movies....as this one was actually really good.

I saw it as well. Not bad. I'm a pretty big Trek fan (comes with being a geek; it's required in are manual), as long as you can deal with an "alternate history" the movie is enjoyable. What stood out to me is the pace is very aggressive. As mentioned, the casting is spot on.

Archived