Brewer Fanatic

Mike Mussina Hall of Fame Trial

crewcrazy

I have gone back and forth on Mussina. I initially placed him in the Burt Blyleven Hall of Fame of Very good but not great pitchers (along with Jack Morris) but on closer inspection and taking the era into account I think he is in.

The better question might be is he a Yankee or an Oriole in the Hall? 8 full years for the O's, 8 full years for the Yanks. Just glancing at the stats it seems obvious he would go in as an Oriole as half of his years in NY he was the definition of average, while he was dominant in his 8+ years in Baltimore.

Blyleven is getting in. It may take a few more years, but the voting trend is pointing in the right direction and more stat oriented writers are coming into the ranks of voters. That will make Mussina's road easier.

I'd put Mussina between Blyleven and Morris. And I think he'll get in as he definitely could have stuck around and padded his win total some. I think he just scrapes over the bar and you certainly aren't going to put anyone worse than him from the recent era into the Hall.

Robert

If Tommy John can't get in with a 288-231 record (17 more wins than Mussina, 3.34 ERA (lower than Mussina) and 1 full run less run support than Mussina over his career, then I don't see how Mussina can get in.

If Mussina had spent his entire career in Baltimore then he'd deserve it, but he benefitted greatly from the wide disparity in payrolls. For the most part, he wasn't even the number one guy on his team in NY.

That being said, he'll probably get it in but I wouldn't vote for him.

If Tommy John can't get in with a 288-231 record (17 more wins than Mussina, 3.34 ERA (lower than Mussina) and 1 full run less run support than Mussina over his career, then I don't see how Mussina can get in.

If Mussina had spent his entire career in Baltimore then he'd deserve it, but he benefitted greatly from the wide disparity in payrolls. For the most part, he wasn't even the number one guy on his team in NY.

That being said, he'll probably get it in but I wouldn't vote for him.

Regarding his ERA, the division and league he pitched in, along with the fact he pitched his entire career during the steroid era, makes his ERA hall-of-fame quality.

Archived