Brewer Fanatic

When is a band no longer the same band?

DougJones43
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
DMB is an interesting case. If Dave himself quit music or passed away or whatever then obviously it's not Dave Matthews Band any more. But if the bassist left the group it wouldn't matter. Now you could make a strong argument that the drummer and violinist are strong pieces to the DMB puzzle - maybe their musicianship could be replaced (although I think the drummer is really underrated) but they seem to be part of the character of that band - especially the violinist. I mean, if the violinist left and was replaced by a woman would it be the same? I don't think so.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I always thought the drummer was the most talented in the band, and the most irreplaceable (outside of Dave). I listened to them religiously from about 1995-2003, but havent really listened to them at all in the past 5 years. I think I grew out of them. They are all great talents, and I always liked Moore's part in the band, but I think he is the most replaceable...although I dont think Jeff Coffin will be as cool looking on stage.

The Tempts still tour -- Otis Williams is the only original member still alive. A lot of them died after collaborating with Hall & Oates,

I know there some punch lines there somewhere, but even if I could think of them, I'm not sure they would be appropriate.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Smashing Pumpkins are on tour right now, I think, and consist of Corgan and maybe Chamberlin. Iha and D'arcy have left. Dont know if that is Smashing Pumpkins or not. Id say they, along with GnR are a good test case for bands that still have the frontman but are not really the same band

In the case of the Pumpkins, Billy *is* the Pumpkins. He writes 95% of the music. All the lyrics. Records all the guitar and bass in the studio himself. Chamberlain lays down the drums, and when they go on the road the rest of the "band" comes with.

I always liked Moore's part in the band, but I think he is the most replaceable...although I dont think Jeff Coffin will be as cool looking on stage.

I hadn't checked into who was replacing LeRoi. Kinda weird that the guy to replace someone that died has the surname Coffin

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived