Brewer Fanatic

Wireless internet scruples...

cooprules
I was playing around with my Wii and I ended up connecting to the internet using, I'm assuming, one of my neighbor's wireless internet access. I'm planning on getting a router anyway but I played around a bit just to see what it was like. I ended up buying some Wii points and downloading the internet channel. Very cool by the way. My question is did I make myself a huge security risk by entering my credit card info while tapping someone else's wireless access? I'm getting a router today so I won't be using it after today. In my excitement over being able to surf the internet on my TV I kind of ignored the consequences of my actions. Also, I noticed even though the Wii is off it seems to still be in like a sleep type mode. There's a green light on when there's usually a red light. I'm guessing I'm still connected?

It's possible, though I'd imagine the Wii uses SSL when transmitting your credit card data. To me, the bigger worry when using other people's wireless networks is passwords (as those forms aren't always secure), but if your neighbors haven't secured their wireless network, they're probably not smart enough to sniff your traffic.

Which passwords are secure and which aren't? Is there a preferred type of password we should be using?

What Peavey said. If the URL of the page you are on has "https://" in it, then the password you are transmitting is encrypted. Otherwise, it is sent to the web server in plain text, and someone along the way could possible see it if they felt like it.

Archived