Brewer Fanatic

JoJo for Arroyo?

The Braves have reportedly offered Cincy JoJo Reyes for Bronson Arroyo. The Braves are absolutely going all out for this season if that deal happens. JoJo has much higher upside than Arroyo, but maybe the Braves don't want to wait for him to develop. We'll wait and see what the Reds decide.

the Braves have been the team that has always been most willing to deal its pitching prospects, so i don't know if i'd totally think the Braves were going all or nothing this year. and the Saltalamacchia move was a trade done out of depth, so it didn't really effect them much.

and heck, the Braves always seem to know something about their pitchers that nobody else ever seems to.

Well I've been in general a fan of this strategy since years ago when we traded for Matt Kinney. Now Matt Kinney may have stunk, but he proved my point at the time. He was a pitching possible who had some stuff, but hadn't translated that into results. We traded him straight up for an A baller at the time who had some stuff, but nothing to knock your socks off. I can't seem to find him in the transactions file. Anyway my comment at the time was essentially that 3 years down the road our best hope was for our current pitching prospect to turn into Matt Kinney (who at that point had relatively few chances to pitch at the MLB level). Well the prospect never got above AAA.

Long way of saying that if you can avoid trading aware your really rare talented pitchers, and stick to doing a quality major league pitcher for an A ball prospect with upside you'll make out like a bandit. Now giving those young pitchers away 3 at a time on the other hand is a good way to strip down the system pretty fast.

Archived