Brewer Fanatic

Felipe Lopez

I wonder if the Brewers have explored signing Felipe Lopez as a back up for the coming season(s)...

After being released by the Nationals last year he went on to hit over .380 for the Cardinals, with an obp of .426 and an OPS+ of 153. His Runs Created during that time would translate into a year better than Braun or Fielder had and would put him in the top 10 in the NL.

He will only be 29 years old this year, he will probably come cheaply, he could fill in for Weeks, and could be insurance behind Escobar if they decided to trade Hardy.

I think this is a great idea if:

1) he's relatively cheap, and

2) he's not a cancer in the clubhouse.

I only say #2 because it's risky business hiring an ex-very good player and then ask him to ride the pine mostly. Of course, maybe he's already resigned himself to that.

Lopez wants to start, and he reportedly wants a two-year deal. Boras is his agent, and Lopez reportedly is the one who turned Fielder onto Boras, as Lopez, Fielder and Weeks are all very good friends. However, I don't see where Lopez fits in, as he'll sign for money more than what the Brewers should be spending on their bench, especially since they already have Bill Hall at $6M+.

I like the idea of getting Lopez as a backup infield/corner outfield option, but I think he is looking for a starting job, and probably will be able to find one. I've also heard that he can be somewhat of a bad clubhouse presence.

Weeks went to Lake Brantley HS in Altamonte Springs, FL. Lopez went to Lyman HS in Longwood. They're about 5 miles apart and a 10-15 minute (non-rush-hour) drive north of downtown Orlando. For 10+ years my parents lived halfway between the two schools. Anyway, that explains the Weeks-Lopez connection, and Prince has hung out with them plenty in the Orlando area since the Brewers drafted him.

Archived