Brewer Fanatic

Anyone Use Gamefly?

temke

I have signed up for the free 30 day trials a couple times. It's good if it's for older games, but getting new releases can take a long time, plus the turn around time is pretty long. It would be hard to play and "beat" 3 games a month with 2 out at a time.

I have it and think its more then worth it. Look at it this way, a game costs $60, that 3 months of rentals at 2 at a time. Even if you only take out 2 games at a time for those months, that is 6 games you got to play. The best part is that games like Metal Gear, GTA or similar games that you play through once and never again you just send them back and not having to worry about selling them.

I have tried it 2-3 times and never liked it. It is good in short bursts if there are a quite a few games you want to play, but for me I would play 6 games and then would run out of games I was interested in. If you run a cross a game that will take you more than a couple weeks to play through, you are better off just buying the game. The whole point of Gamefly, to me, was playing a game then flipping it quickly to get my money's worth out of it. It also took almost a week from the time I dropped a game in the mail until I got the next one. So 2 games works well if you don't send one out and have a really bad game at home. Then you are without a game to play.

A couple pluses of the service are the discount you get on used games and rewards for keeping your subscription over a long period of time. It is really tough to keep a subscription over the summer when there are lots of hours to watch baseball, stuff to do outside and a mostly F-list of games coming out. The best part about buying the games used from Gamefly is you can rent a game, get it at home and decide to keep it. Try beofre you buy. They send you the box and manual through the mail.

I thought the price for 2 games was more like $25 a month with tax. If it was closer to $15 a month I would keep it. At $25 a month that's almost enough to buy a game every other month especially if you look for discounts.

I guess the short answer is, if you buy a new game every other week it might be worth it. If you buy 6 or fewer a year, you are about breaking even if you look for discounts or buy used games.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived