Brewer Fanatic

Powell: possible Braves announcer?

sgtcluels
Well supposedly the offers were similar from both clubs and Powell was leaning towards staying here, but then the Braves upped the offer and he took it. The delay is probably either that the Braves want to let Jim get things settled before announcing it, he may be having second thoughts or the Brewers want to wait to find a replacement before its public.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well if that last post is true and the deciding factor is money it is very disappointing. I've read previous threads detailing peoples anger with TMJ as the flagship station before, but could this be the final straw that ends the relationship between the Brewers and TMJ? I am aware that there is a lot of logistical problems with leaving TMJ and I have no idea about the contract terms between the organization and TMJ have, but if the station brazenly thinks people will always tune in to listen to the Brewers and they don't have to actively pursue a talent like Powell, the organization should hold TMJ accountable. I could be wrong and it might be a smart buisness move by TMJ, but I can't see myself scheduling my day around listening to someone other than Jim call games.

Well if that last post is true and the deciding factor is money it is very disappointing. I've read previous threads detailing peoples anger with TMJ as the flagship station before, but could this be the final straw that ends the relationship between the Brewers and TMJ? I am aware that there is a lot of logistical problems with leaving TMJ and I have no idea about the contract terms between the organization and TMJ have, but if the station brazenly thinks people will always tune in to listen to the Brewers and they don't have to actively pursue a talent like Powell, the organization should hold TMJ accountable. I could be wrong and it might be a smart buisness move by TMJ, but I can't see myself scheduling my day around listening to someone other than Jim call games.

The Brewers just signed a new contract with WTMJ last year I believe, so I doubt they could suddenly cancel it just for them failing to retain an announcer.

I'll be honest, while I love Jim Powell, I think I can cope if they bring in someone else of similar talent. It won't make or break me listening to games when I'm not watching on TV.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'll be honest, while I love Jim Powell, I think I can cope if they bring in someone else of similar talent. It won't make or break me listening to games when I'm not watching on TV.

You sound like you don't get it. Powell is special. That's why you love him. They can't bring in someone of similar talent, because that person has a job already.

Yeah, just ask Circuit City how well the decision to get rid of good people to save money went.
Pushy salespeople working on commission getting dumped as a concept versus this situation where a baseball broadcaster took what could have been a slightly higher offer to work in his hometown

Yeah, I just don't see it.

You sound like you don't get it. Powell is special. That's why you love him. They can't bring in someone of similar talent, because that person has a job already.

No, you're right, but all things must come to an end eventually. Hard to fault a guy if he is going to go back to his home area to work.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Jim Powell really is the only brewers announced out of the 4 that really incorporated the future prospects into his play by play. While I'd be upset if he leaves, most if not all of that I can get here. We also have a great track record of hiring broadcasters. I just hope this time we get a decent #2 that can still fill be inline to be the #1 once Uecker retires. I always hoped Powell would be that guy and he'd be here for a long time. By far my favorite broadcaster since i became a fan in '88.

I never thought I could that I could forget Pat Hughes when he left. Listening to Jim Powell, I think Pat who? Oh yeah, that's that turn coat announcer for the Cubs ( In Pat's defense, he jumped ship to Chicago while the Crew was still in the AL). The best compliment that I can give to Jim, is that it doesn't matter who's inning it is. Whether it's Bob or Jim, both are equally magnificent. I hope that Mr.Powell is able to view these posts. I really hope he stays with our Brewers. But if he doesn't good luck in Hotlanta. He will not be replaced, someone else will just be white noise to Bob.

Maybe Powell got sick of having his calls played on ESPN and credited to Uke.

---------------------------

Please continue discussion in this thread:

At least I get to listen to him in Atlanta now... Powell leaves for the Braves

--1992casey

---------------------------

Archived