Brewer Fanatic

Powell: possible Braves announcer?

sgtcluels
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it possible that he hasn't decided anything yet and the Brewers are asking for audition tapes in the event that he does leave, so they aren't left scrambling a couple months before the season?

I'm sure that's exactly what's happening.

Does anyone know if Uecker has ever given any indication of how long he plans to stay? His Braun homerun call was probably the best he's had that I can remember. There wouldn't have been any shame in going out with the Brewers making their first postseason appearance in 26 years.

Is it possible that he hasn't decided anything yet and the Brewers are asking for audition tapes in the event that he does leave, so they aren't left scrambling a couple months before the season?
(fingers and toes crossed)

I still wonder who will do Talkin' Brewers in February if it's not JP - it's mighty short notice for that already.

The most likely option would be one of the (in my opinion lesser) TMJ voices, which would create a small dilemma for me: listen to the last-minute replacement or bypass what little on-air Brewers news there is? I'm not sure I like either option.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

The most likely option would be one of the (in my opinion lesser) TMJ voices,.

Bring on the big unit.

ugh I just broke into a cold sweat.

I am holding out hope Jim stays. He is my favorite radio guy.

I was really wishing he would get the TV gig before BA was named. Soley because I thought he would stay longer in that position.

The way he waxes poetic about his youth in Georgia, I think this is a foregone conclusion.

If Jim does go I recommend Producer Engineer Kent Summerfeld. Just so we can listen to uke's no stop harassment. Whatdaya say Miss Kitty?

I highly doubt they bring in a current TMJ voice. While Powell is employed by WTMJ, he isnt one of their personalities. He was hired as a sports play-by-play guy, not as a radio personality. I cannot imagine there being much if any chemistry between Uecker and the Big Unit or God forbid someone like Dan O'Donnell or Jeff Falconio. No, the brewers have put out their add for a replacement and I would imagine that whomever is chose will have years of play--by-play experience in another major league market, the minors or another sport (a la Brian Anderson).

Sure would be nice if Powell is scanning the brewerfan threads....I know he's made reference to brewerfan on occasion...so maybe seeing how much our community appreciates his services will make it more difficult for him to part (if he ends up being offered the Braves job).

Every time this thread gets bumped to the top, I can feel my heart rate go up. I want to hang onto my hope that this isn't happening!
Yeah, no kidding.

I highly doubt they bring in a current TMJ voice.

I was thinking they might have to use a current TMJ voice only for the 2009 Talkin' Brewers "season," just because how much time would there be to get a completely new person up to speed? Unless the Brewers' audition field includes more knowledgeable locals than I'd guess.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I highly doubt they bring in a current TMJ voice. While Powell is employed by WTMJ, he isnt one of their personalities. He was hired as a sports play-by-play guy, not as a radio personality. I cannot imagine there being much if any chemistry between Uecker and the Big Unit or God forbid someone like Dan O'Donnell or Jeff Falconio. No, the brewers have put out their add for a replacement and I would imagine that whomever is chose will have years of play--by-play experience in another major league market, the minors or another sport (a la Brian Anderson).

Those guys are talk show hosts which is totally different than play-by-play. They wouldn't fit in at all and lack the necessary experience. I think O'Donnell is great in his current role, but can't imagine him doing play-by-play. Funny thing is, this decision by Powell will have more impact on me as a fan than any of the Brewers' moves. So much of the Brewers, win or lose, is Powell and Ueck. Please don't go!

Formerly Andersoc420

I would literally trade away on field talent to keep Powell because personally he brings me more joy then a Prince homer or whatever. We can always can more players but there is only one Jim Powell. I tmean there is a reason that I still listened to all the games in 2002 and it was because Jim and Bob really call a game well together.

As strange as it seems I agree with you Einhorn. Even with that indescribable feeling of what it's like to make the playoffs still fresh in my mind, I think I would give up wins next year to hear Jim call the extra losses. Powell and Uke made all those lean years so much more bearable, and keep me listening to games even when the good guys no longer have a realistic shot at winning. Simply put, they make the game more enjoyable, and Braun's homerun and the last double play wouldn't have evoked the same emotions for me if not had been for the Uke's call.

It seems as though many on this thread are pretty certain the loss is inevitable. We have all heard Jim speak fondly of his youth and his collegiate experience as a young broadcaster in Georgia. While attempting to know his thought process is futile, judging from his on-air comments I think he really appreciates this city, team, and most certainly working with his partner. I think it is a difficult decision for him, and I really hope it doesn't end up being a $ issue and TMJ not giving him the raise needed to keep him here.

I have subscribed to the MLB radio package for the last three seasons, since I moved away from Milwaukee and still had to get my fix of Brewer baseball. Occasionally I'll tune in to some other game and switch between the different broadcasts. I'm an admitted homer and have listened to far more Brewer games than other broadcasts, but I don't think there is another crew in baseball that can match the combination of Jim's descriptions and Uke's stories.

I thought I would try to help out brewer nation and voted no on their poll. THe question was if you would like Powell to be the next Braves announcer. Perhaps my vote will show the Braves that Powell is the wrong man for the job http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Talked to Jim...he is gone to Atlanta.

Perhaps you could hash this out a bit more.

I can't see why you would jump back on this board after a year and a half and lie, so I have some faith here. I'd still like to hear a little background and details. Everything else you read says Jim has no comment.

I have no idea if Jim Powell has been offered the job or if he has decided to accept it. But I don't think this will be entirely a story about a man returning to his home state. I really think this decision could be about MONEY. It's been a long time since Powell has lived in Atlanta and he has lived in Milwaukee year-round for a very long time now. I would imagine this place probably feels more like home now unless he still has other family or other significant ties to Georgia.

I am guessing this decision will come down to money.

FWIW I was away from Milwaukee for 13 years and after 3 years away began to appreciate my hometown. By year 10 I was doing everything I could to find a way to move back. Finally in year 13 I made it home again and have no intention of leaving again. I can understand if Jim has the same feeling for Georgia and the Braves.

As a side note, I always had the impression that WTMJ didn't take care of Jim as well as he deserved. I remember his last contract renewal bringing uncertainty to his future with the Brewers.

And finally, while I have great memories of the Sunday we clinched the Wild Card, the sour note was hearing Jim Powell stuck in the Brewers locker room while the team celebrated on the field because they did not have the equipment to allow him to go out on the field. All those years calling games for the Brewers, through some truly putrid baseball, and finally a small ray of glory and Jim's stuck by himself while the rest of Brewer nation celebrates. Ever the professional Jim turned the story back to Uke and what a great feeling it must be for him, but you could hear the frustration in his voice.

This is understandable for Jim to move on, but I'll truly miss him.

Archived