Brewer Fanatic

Powell: possible Braves announcer?

sgtcluels
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For what it's worth, the Brewers are soliciting applications for a possible vacancy for their number two radio play-by-play position. My friend works in broadcast and got an email today saying to get his tapes in if interested.

To me, that means it's a done deal. I know it is 'possible' the Brewers are just preparing but I'd sure miss Jim on the broadcasts.

What a crummy off-season.

With the new deal they got here in Northern Illinois, we weren't going to get FSN Wisconsin anymore, but I didn't mind because I looked forward to hearing Jim and Bob call the game every night. Now I'm really contemplating making the switch to MLB TV which won't help the wallet, but it just won't be the same without Powell in the booth.

This sucks.

Ugh, I literally feel sick. I want this thread to go away! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif
Yeah, I have actually been reading the major leagues forum less often lately, in partial fear of the moment when I see a very sad update to the thread title.

Another depressing thought: Could they land a successor in time for Talkin' Brewers to start, or would we have to stomach the Big Unit or other TMJ voice?

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Why is everyone acting like this is official? Speculation has been reported that the Braves are interested in Powell to be their lead guy........yet he hasn't commented and nothing has been confirmed. I would assume the Braves have more than just him in mind....

For what it's worth, the Brewers are soliciting applications for a possible vacancy for their number two radio play-by-play position. My friend works in broadcast and got an email today saying to get his tapes in if interested.

The JS has picked up on this:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/37246944.html

They really could have at least waited until this was official, but sometimes it seems like the Brewers just don't see the whole PR picture in terms of how something like this could look if the press figures it out.

are people posting about this on any Braves fan sites? If so, are they indifferent to it or are they letting out a huge Dukes of Hazzard-ish "YEEEEEE-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!" ?

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/37246944.html
From Peavey's link:
At the Web site of Sportscasters Talent Agency of America, a trade organization, the Brewers posted a notice asking for applications for a "potential opening for their No. 2 radio play-by-play position." The notice said all applications must be in Brewers offices by 10 a.m. Friday.

I assume from the short turnaround deadline on the applications, that the Brewers already know who they are going to hire.

This is the hardest loss of the off-season, because it was unexpected. Mr. Powell, you don't know me from Adam, but thanks for all you've done and best wishes for the future. The Braves fans don't know how lucky they are.

I wonder who that could possibly be, if they indeed have someone in mind.

Keep in mind that the team had a fairly exhaustive search before they hired Brian Anderson for their TV job. I'm sure they had a few other guys that they liked, as I seem to remember Rick Schlesinger saying that they interviewed 100+ candidates for the position.

Am I sad that Powell is leaving? Yes. Can I fault a guy for taking a job that takes him back to where he is from. No. We all would have loved for Powell to take over when Uecker is done, but I just think the only perfect job came along for Jim. I wish him nothing but the best. Now hopefully the Brewers don't hire a bad announcer to replace him.

ttsather[/b]]

Jim, I will miss you.

I'm still holding out some faint, faint hope that when Ueck retires the Brewers contact Jim and see if he wants to come back to take the top job.

I'm not sure why that would be such a big thing for him (other than possibly pay). If you never listened to Brewer games and didn't know anything about Ueck or Powell, after listening to a game, you would have no idea who had the "top job". It's not like one gets more air time than the other. In fact, I think that Powell gets more air time. The only thing that would possibly hint at the "top job" is that Uecker gets to call the 9th inning.

Is this official? The last several posts on this thread make it sound like it's a done deal. I have not heard anything like that though.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

). If you never listened to Brewer games and didn't know anything about Ueck or Powell, after listening to a game, you would have no idea who had the "top job"

Uecker still gets to call the majority of the game. I think if i was in say Georgia and was listening to the brewers on XM, I'd still know Uecker has the top billing.

Is this official? The last several posts on this thread make it sound like it's a done deal. I have not heard anything like that though.

No, but the fact the brewers were accepting audition tapes last week makes it seem pretty likely.

Archived