Brewer Fanatic

Powell: possible Braves announcer?

sgtcluels
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well one thing is for sure. Jim Powell is a darn fine announcer. He is one of the very best in sports and we as Brewer fans would be at a disadvantage without him. I very much enjoy his play calling and I'd be saddened if he were no longer with the broadcast. I hope WTMJ realizes Powell's value and keep him around.
-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

I like how he will call out certain players occasionally. There is a "Jim Powell enemy players list" that he's not afraid to be negative on, too.
What's funny is that he used to make fun of Kendall and his contract, saying it was ridiculous for a "singles-hitting catcher." As in . . . every single time the Brewers played the Pirates. (Not that JP was wrong about that -- it just got be like a broken record. That, and the location of the press box in Pittsburgh.)

I like how he will call out certain players occasionally. There is a "Jim Powell enemy players list" that he's not afraid to be negative on, too.
This is the only problem I have with the guy. He's preaching to the choir when he's ripping on Bonds. He doesn't need to do it everytime his name is brought up. Otherwise, he's about as good as it gets.

This is the only problem I have with the guy. He's preaching to the choir when he's ripping on Bonds. He doesn't need to do it everytime his name is brought up. Otherwise, he's about as good as it gets.

There's some other guys he will never hesitate to rip on. I know Sidney Ponson is one. I think Gary Sheffield as well (go figure).

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

At one point last year, JP and Ueck were ripping on Jose Guillen something fierce! It was absolutely hilarious. It was one of those times where Ueck was just one a roll, and JP couldn't stop laughing. They went on about Jose Guillen for a good 3-4 innings. It was really comical. Does anyone else remember listening to that?
Follow me on Twitter

• 5 weeks later...

I love how Tyler Barnes gives this quote:

"Speaking from our (the Brewers') perspective, we love Jim," Barnes said. "We certainly support his effort to take his career to the next level, but he would be a tough one for us to replace."

The next level? Are the Brewers a AA team? It also sounds from that comment that Powell is as good as gone.

Please stay! I too agree that Ueck will slowly scale back and if we didn't have Jim as the guy that would be taking over it would be horrible. There is nothing better than listening to a game done by these two. They are great!

I love how Tyler Barnes gives this quote:

"Speaking from our (the Brewers') perspective, we love Jim," Barnes said. "We certainly support his effort to take his career to the next level, but he would be a tough one for us to replace."

The next level? Are the Brewers a AA team? It also sounds from that comment that Powell is as good as gone.

I assume it refers to the fact that Powell would move into the #1 spot with the Braves as opposed to being the #2 guy (behind Uecker) in Milwaukee.
20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

The only guy I prefer to Powell is his predecessor, who not only has a perfect delivery, knows everything there is to know about baseball and its history, and calls a great game, but does so having to carry that mumbling moron he sits next to. The Brewers have had an unbelievable run of radio voices, so it may be a lot to ask, but I really hope Jim stays. Really!

Jim has also slid intothe role of 'helping' Bob out as needed. Not that Uke isn't great and all that...but pretty clear that Jim takes the role of co-star to Bob. That's pretty important to the broadcast.

This is not good news for Powell fans in Milwaukee. For it to be reported in the JS and to have the Brewers respond to the story indicates to me Powell has accepted the position in principle and is either negotiating or waiting for the Braves to make an official announcement.

It is truly unfortunate. I hoped Powell would be around with the Brewers for generations of future Brewers fans. He's a class act and has an awesome tennis game to boot.

As Milwaukeeans/Brewers fans we need to hold ourselves, our business leaders and public officials accountable to making this area more attractive for people to stay or relocate. If we want to be more competitive with other markets, we need to grow our market from a population and educational attainment perspective.

It's a nice area - an area I worked hard to move back to, however there is a fair amount of complacency and acceptance of our current ranking as a small market. More entreprenueralism would be nice as well. There have been many good people that moved through Milwaukee who wished there was more opportunity in the area so they could stay.

Jim Powell is a small piece of our shared world and I wish the Braves option was not attractive to him, but I understand why it is.

As Milwaukeeans/Brewers fans we need to hold ourselves, our business leaders and public officials accountable to making this area more attractive for people to stay or relocate. If we want to be more competitive with other markets, we need to grow our market from a population and educational attainment perspective.
I understand your point, and there is surely ample room for improvement in the realm of attracting/retaining talent around here; but I think the practical and nostalgic appeal of "going home" may be insurmountable in this case. As such, I don't know that I'd consider it as much of a Milwaukee/Wisconsin failure if JP does leave.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I agree with hawing, I don't think this is about making Milwaukee more appealing. If this happens, JP will be going back home while also (I'm guessing) taking on the #1 duties for the Braves broadcast. That's a win-win, and shouldn't be taken as a slam towards Milwaukee or the Brewers. I'm sure if it weren't a significant step up, JP would likely stay here, as he has never had anything but glowing praise for any and everything that has to do with the Milwaukee Brewers.

And you know he's going to keep tabs on the team should he indeed move on. Few know the organizaiton from top to bottom as well as he does.

The Brewers actually do have one thing going for them, and that is an impressive line and overall history of successful broadcasters. Over the past decade +, Pat Hughes, Matt Vasgersian, Darron Sutton and Trenni Kusnierik have all moved on to bigger and better things with significantly greater national exposure. Plus, I've been pretty pleased with Brian Anderson, who has significant national exposure of his own, which makes me confident Powell's successor will be a solid addition as well.

Brewers Broadcast History

Except for spelling Del Crandall's name wrong, calling Eddie Doucette "Ed" when he was better known as "Eddie," and not being set up to account for the fact that the TV booth was dual play by play until Pete Vuckovich, the list seems to be pretty darn accurate.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived