Brewer Fanatic

Powell: possible Braves announcer?

sgtcluels

Maybe all of those replays on ESPN where he has been falsely represented as Bob Uecker finally got to him http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

There have been long threads in the past debating the worth of the TV commentators past and present, but I don't think anyone would debate what Jim Powell and Bob Uecker bring to the Brewers broadcast. I've gotten so used to Powell since he took the job that I can't imagine anyone else doing what he does at as high a level. Don't leave.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would definitely miss JP if he left. I've very much enjoyed his PBP abilities, even more than Uecker. I always have hoped when Uecker decided to retire Powell would become the full time PBP guy.

I really couldn't blame him for taking this opportunity if it is officially offered to him, though.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I think we should offer Powell 6/$140M to stay. I men PBP announcers rarely get hurt so the contract is low risk.

Seriously though, I would hate to "hear" Powell leave. I don't listen to radio much, but he is very good and his weekly show has very good interviews.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

if it came down to CC re-signing with the Brewers or Jim Powell stays with the club . . . it's Powell all the way.

I really was tempted to just do a one-line all-blue "eh, he's okay," to compliment other's gushing man-love comments, but I decided to go against the route.

Jim does check out the site (I don't know how much during the off-season) and I'd venture a guess that he's already checked out this thread. He could leave Milwaukee for a bigger (not necessarily a better) market, earn more money for his family, and return closer to his collegiate stomping grounds. Or he could stick around, continue his already impressive work with the Brewers, take over for a Hall of Fame legend, and continue building his own (Hall of Fame, likely) legacy as the new Voice of the Brewers for the next 50 years.

Jim, I guess what it all comes down to is the slogan of those old Alcoa commercials, "You make the call!" Whatever the answer is, I suppose, it won't be a "wrong" answer, despite what many Brewer fans will say. Good luck (if this rumor is true)!

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

My suggestion to the Braves? Leave JP alone and promote your AAA radio announcer....Tony Schiavone?!

I suppose that after putting up with Bobby Heenan and having to constantly avoid being power-bombed through a table by Kevin Nash, the leisurely pace of Braves baseball would be a nice change of pace. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I usually think, when the Brewers are winning, about how much Uecker has suffered over the years, but at least he saw some of the good times. Powell deserves to see a good stretch just as much, especially since he kept the fires burning during the lean times with reports from the farm in a way that I never heard while living in the Chicago, New York, Houston and Baltimore markets.

What's the highest civilian honor awarded by the Brewers, the equivalent of the Order of Lenin? Maybe rename the press box cafeteria for Powell?

Anyway, no need to compare Uecker unfavorably to Powell. Now, if you want to compare him to Santo, go right ahead.

Powell is the best period. At this point I like him even more than Scully. Easily the best Brewers' announcer ever. I'm really gonna miss him. Just goes to show you how Milwaukee cannot compete in the marketplace. Geez, this is depressing.

Not much that I can add that hasn't already been added. I work nights during the week in the summer and there is absolutely no way I could survive my job if I didn't get to listen to Bob and Jim. The combination is absolutely magic. With Bob's stories and Jim's insight and play calling abilities its always great work.

Archived