Brewer Fanatic

Powell: possible Braves announcer?

sgtcluels

Saw this on BCB. According to the Braves Mailbag, Powell is being considered as a replacement for their play by play announcer. Source

Have the Braves announced who will replace Skip Caray and Pete Van Wieren? They are two broadcast legends who will be missed.

-- Charles S., Birmingham, Ala.

The Braves have not announced who will serve as their new radio broadcast team. Chip Caray will likely continue to do all the games that don't interfere with his television commitments to Peachtree TV and TBS. But it's still not clear who will be working the radio broadcasts.

Currently, the Braves are looking a number of candidates from outside the organization. One name that I've heard is Jim Powell, a University of Georgia graduate who has called Brewers games for more than a decade.

If the Braves are looking for a broadcaster about 25-30 years from now, they may find Tristan Caray as a candidate. Chip's wife, Susan, gave birth to Tristan on Nov. 19 and the baby's proud papa says that everybody is healthy and looking forward to celebrating Thanksgiving with the latest addition to the Caray family.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that would be a big blow as I have really enjoyed the job he has done. I know moving back home would be appealing but I hope the possibility of calling winning baseball here for a while and working with Uecker will be enough reason for him to stay.

Wow that would stink. I have heard few PBP announcers who are as good as calling play by play and as knowledgeable about the inner workings of a team as Powell. From the field to the minor leagues, he is top notch and really takes his job seriously.

I'd like to think the Brewers would try to sweeten his current deal to keep him here. I'm sure Ueck wants to do PbP until he's 90, but the reality is, it may be getting time to scale him back a bit. The organization sure wouldn't want to lose both of these guys in the space of a year or two. It's hard for me to imagine to Powell would leave at this point, but you have to do what's best for your career and family......

Oh my, don't leave us Jim. Jim needs to sign a lifetime contract for monthly blank checks to stay covering the Brewers. The guy is tremendous. I honestly would be shocked if I ever heard another single person that does a better job than either Powell or Uecker. We have the best two radio guys in the business.

Powell fans know that he frequents this forum, so we should probably address our concerns directly to him: Don't leave us, Jim! We can't listen to Brewer baseball without you!

While I've come to terms with the fact that Ueck won't be around forever, I like to think that Powell will.

I could be wrong, but doesn't Powell actually work for WTMJ and Uecker works for the Brewers?

I thought I read once that Powell wanted to keep his independence (and journalistic integrity) - so that he never became a Milwaukee Brewer employee.

I think you're right - it was brought up in an old WTMJ thread about their contract negotiations with the Brewers. And the main thing that made us nervous about the deal was the thought of losing JP.
Gruber Lawffices

I would be seriously upset if Powell left. His play by play is unbeatable. Don't get me wrong, I love Uek, but Powell compliments his style perfectly. That combo is one of the only things that kept me actively tuning in to every Brewer game I could when I was traveling a lot for work during some of the "bleak" years of the organization.

Jim - If you read this PLEASE don't go! You're years of service have made you an integral part of the organization and your presence would not be replaceable.

I would also be very disappointed to see Powell go. He's one of the best and a perfect compliment to Uecker. I'd always figured he'd take the reigns after Uecker leaves as the main guy. Hopefully the Brewers/WTMJ do everything they can to try and keep him in Milwaukee.

I will say it, you can all hate me for it even, but I would take Powell over Uecker.

Ueck is the man, but I'd have to agree with this statement! I would be absolutely devastated to see him leave us. I love his knowledge of the game and how he actually takes time to mention the minors, which is what the Crew is all about, building from within. Uecker doesn't ever mention the minors whatsoever.

Archived