Brewer Fanatic

Giants Sign Edgar Renteria for reals

He's only 33; that's not nearly old enough to be a Giants FA position player!

I assume Khalil Greene becomes an expensive bench player.

(Edit: Why did I pull up the Padres? One 'San's as good as another, I guess.)

Considering their on-roster options include Ivan Ochoa (.511 OPS), Ryan Roehlinger (.309), and Emmanuel Burriss (.686), the bar isn't set especially high for Renteria to be an improvement.

• 2 weeks later...
The Giants are dumb! This guy is so inconsistent. He moves from team to team. I can only conclude that the Giants are not serious about getting better.
They may not be serious on getting better but they sure are serious at getting older.

Now, Handicourt is reporting there are reports the Giants are ready to move on CC. What is their payroll going to be this year? Zito and CC would be over 40 million a year for two pitchers. Add the money already spent on Affeldt, Howry, and Renteria and this team is defintely a buyer in free agency right. Handicourt alludes to the Renteria signing as one that would show CC the Giants are serious about getting better but I really do not see this signing that way. This seems to show they are not that smart when it comes to free agency and CC would have to live with that for 5 years.

Even if they were to sign CC, that offense is still pretty darn pathetic. Pitching is the least of their concerns. If they want to spend the money, they should be going after Tex, Manny, Burrell, and Dunn, that is a much bigger need IMO. They have a rotation capable of contending in the NL West but their offense is barely capable of contending in AAA and I highly doubt an aging Renteria is a solution to that problem.

I had heard that the Giants or somebody had inquired about Hardy, but that Melvin quickly said he was unavailable. I figured it might be Melvin posturing.

That is because the Giants offered Sanchez for Hardy and not Cain. The Giants reportedly wanted Fielder and Hardy for Cain.

Brian Sabean is 31 flavors of stupid.

Sabean is a hard GM to figure out

Yea he was blessed to have a roided up Bonds, but he did put enough around Barry to win lots of games over multiple years. That said, he's made some extremely head scratching moves as GM, stock piled old players when he should have started rebuilding, gave out maybe the worst contract n baseball history to Zito, and seemed to take pleasure in making sure that many years he wouldn't have a first round pick. Yet, he's often drafted quite well, especially at finding young pitchers even though his free agent signing wiped out draft pick opportunities. Now he's back adding more aging vets to a team that should be getting younger.

The feeling around SF is that Peter Magowan didn't let Sabean do his job, and they're hoping this new guy Neukom will be better

I don't know though, that doesn't account for the Renteria signing. I have no real problem with some team signing him for 2/18.5, just not the Giants.

Archived