Brewer Fanatic

Dodgers' pitcher Chad Billingsley slips on ice, fractures leg

TooLiveBrew

Per CBS Sports:

LOS ANGELES -- Dodgers pitcher Chad Billingsley had surgery on Saturday after fracturing his leg in a fall at his Pennsylvania home.

Team spokesman Josh Rawitch said that the 24-year-old Billingsley slipped on ice outside his house in Reading, Pa., and suffered a spiral fracture of the fibula in his left leg on Friday.

He had surgery to put a plate in and will be in a cast for two weeks. Rawitch said the surgery went as expected and Billingsley should be ready to throw by spring training.

Rawitch said the surgery was performed by Dr. Paul Neuman, an orthopedic surgeon in Reading, after consulting with team surgeon Dr. Neal ElAttrache.

Billingsley was 16-10 with a 3.14 ERA this past season. He lost Game 2 and Game 5 of the National League Championship Series against the Philadelphia Phillies.

Ow.

[insert deer meat joke here]

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

kind of stinks as I was counting on Billingsley to be a future ace in my Diamond Mind league. He still can be, but this isn't going to help matters in any way. Unless it's like "Rookie of the Year" (the movie) and he's able to bust off 157-mph fastballs due to freakish leg strength acquired during the healing process.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

While possible, half these bizarre injuries are just covers for contract voiding activities.
"Slipping on ice" in Pennsylvania in November doesn't sound all that bizarre. Slipping on, say, an ice cube on the floor of his LA condo, would be much more so.

This still makes me wonder how the Brewers are willing to risk bringing players to slippery Wisconsin in January for the On Deck thing.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

hawing wrote: This still makes me wonder how the Brewers are willing to risk bringing players to slippery Wisconsin in January for the On Deck thing.

eh, they're not china dolls. The rest of us manage to walk around without breaking bones or tearing ligaments most of the time, why couldn't pro athletes do the same? Billingsley getting hurt is a freak accident, not a reason to not allow players to live or visit places where there is snow and ice.

Archived