Brewer Fanatic

Melvin's "Christmas List"

Hey guys,

Not sure about you all, but with "Black Friday" (day after Thanksgiving shop fest) coming fast the females are ramping up the heat to get a Christmas list out of me...and since the amount of teams and interest is ramping up for CC it seems that our GM will be soon making some big decisions for 2009. So in order of preference I've laid out my own X-mas list for Mr. Melvin. Feel free to post your own or provide feedback on mine. Happy Holidays http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

1. Resign Ben Sheets for 3 years $36m, with a club option for a fourth.

2. Trade JJ Hardy & Carlos Villeneuva to the Giants for Matt Cain, Dave Roberts, and Alex Hinshaw.

3. Trade Mike Cameron to the Yankees for Ian Kennedy.

4. Sign Kerry Wood for 3 years $25m.

5. Resign Gabe Kapler, Russ Branyon, & Craig Counsell.

6. Trade Jeff Suppan and Bill Hall to the New York Mets for Brian Schneider and Luis Ayala.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your list would definitely upgrade the rotation, but you really downgrade the offense. Cameron is much better than Roberts, Hardy is much, much better than Escobar (currently) and you seem to be looking at a Branyan/Counsell 3B platoon. It seems like a lot of noise that doesn't necessarily make the team better, at least for next season.

I know you mentioned it briefly in your post, but shouldn't re-signing CC be #1? That seems to be far and away the top priority right now.
That is definitely debatable.

I am not sure if I would be ecstatic or depressed if the Brewers sign CC for 5 years and $100 million.

How can anyone say they would be upset if we signed CC? That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I would be pissed if we signed Sheets to that 3 yr./$36 mil deal that is listed above. That would be a horrible move. In fact, I would question all 5 of those moves, except for the Suppan/Hall trade, which would never happen.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

How can anyone say they would be upset if we signed CC?
Start a list of how many $100 million dollar pitchers saved a franchise.

My list of how many $100 million dollar pitchers ruined a franchise will be twice as long.

Ignoring the ramifications of a $100 Million contract is naive. You may support signing him - however, you have to accept there is a cost/benefit factor.

How can anyone say they would be upset if we signed CC? That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
That's a statement of opinion, it's hardly fact. I for one would be upset because we'd be on the hook for 25%+ of the payroll being tied into one player, which I don't feel is good roster management, especially with the young talent on this team... I'd rather keep 3 players for the 20-25 million than sign 1 player for that price tag. I've said it before but we should be targeting preFA top of the rotation pitchers as they have the best value for the production as opposed to declining FA pitchers who are still productive but expensive, and their best days are behind them.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Sabathia, at 28 years old, certainly doesn't fall into the "declining FA pitchers" category, though. You certainly can't say his best days are behind him. Could he suffer some severe injury next year that derails him for the rest of his career? Sure, but the chances are remote.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I think that by the end of a 6 year contract CC would be starting to decline.

That is certainly a lot of turnover on your list. I will admit I am not on board with that much turnover on our roster.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

He will be declining by the end of the contract and he will take up more than 25% of the salary. These deals are not about the first 2 or 3 years, but the last 3 years. The shorter the deal, the better for the Brewers, as they mitigate their risk significantly if they can shorten the contract length.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Signing Kerry Wood for 3 years/$25 million would be insane. He's pitching with a partially torn rotator cuff, has a balky back that acts up every now and then, he's only middle of the pack as a closer and he's never been healthy for 3 straight seasons in his entire career.

I think they can do without Branyan and Counsell. Those ships have sailed.

Dave Roberts? Please. He'll be 37 next year and hasn't been effective in 3 years. I'd take Melky Cabrera any day. I might even take Gwynn over Dave Roberts.

25%+ of the payroll being tied into one player, which I don't feel is good roster management, especially with the young talent on this team...
Just playing devils advocate, but you could argue that having young (cheap) talent is one of the reasons you CAN afford to have a high percentage tied to one guy. Obviously they won't stay cheap for much longer so we'd likely always have a number of pre arby guys filling out our roster. It would only work if we had continued success developing position players, we'd have to deal a lot of established players approaching FA and use younger guys to replace them. Escobar-Hardy, Cain-Cameron, Salome-Kendall, Gamel- Prince or Hart, if not 3rd, Green- Weeks or 3rd. Maybe some of those guys dont turn into everyday players, maybe others I didnt mention do. But, that's 6 of 8 everyday spots(including Braun) filled for relatively cheap. It scares me to have that much money in one player but I don't think it would be automatic doom like some do.

How can anyone say they would be upset if we signed CC? That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I would be pissed if we signed Sheets to that 3 yr./$36 mil deal that is listed above. That would be a horrible move. In fact, I would question all 5 of those moves, except for the Suppan/Hall trade, which would never happen.

I would much much rather have that Sheets deal than Sabathia for 5 years, $100M. Not even close in my book.

I would much much rather have that Sheets deal than Sabathia for 5 years, $100M. Not even close in my book.

I'll loosely second. I think we would be making a mistake if we don't capitalize on the apparently weak Sheets market.

The risk in pitchers is all about the length of the contract, the odds of Sabathia staying healthy for 5 years are probably about the same as Sheets staying healthy for 3 even though the injury history and age of the players makes that seem unlikely.

I'd rather have Sabathia for five years than Sheets for three, even if the amount is significantly more. Sheets is a #1 pitcher, but Sabathia is a bonafide ace. That's tough to come by, and if we can sign him for not completely insane money, I don't see how you can criticize the Brewers for doing so. There's a risk in signing all players to multi-year deals, but Sabathia's health record is very good. Sheets is not.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

They are both pitchers though. Pitchers get hurt at a very high rate. Just over half the years and less than half the money for pitchers that are pretty close to equal in talent. I would take Sheets easily.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

It'd be great if CC was a Brewer next year, and no one would be happier than I, but I just do not forsee it. Hope I'm wrong, but almost all signs point to that being the case.

I just think it's a fantastic opportunity to get a #1 pitcher in Sheets while the market is soft on him. He started the AS game for the NL and was clipping along rather nicely. Our only shot at retaining him was for this exact scenario to unfold. I think it's worth the gamble even though his injury history is there. I'm hoping he accepts arbitration and goes out with a big chip on his shoulder...I think he'd pitch angry and win a bunch for us.

The Hardy, Villy trade to Frisco proposal was in an effort to beef up our rotation (Cain), balance the top of our lineup (Roberts), and add a really nice young arm to the bullpen (Hinshaw). Roberts is intriguing to me as he's a lefty with a decent career OBP and very good speed who's offensive stats could've been weighed down by playing in pitchers parks (SD & SF) the last 5/6 years. Cameron is a decent player, but doesn't fit in our lineup unless we're ready to give up on Hart or Weeks (only two potential leadoff hitters). To me it's tough to do either as Hart was an AS and Weeks looked a lot more relaxed at the plate once moved out of the lead off spot. I realize going with Escobar is a risk. I think JJ is a really nice player and would be missed, but to obtain talent you also have to give some up. I think JJ's at or very near his ceiling both offensively and defensively and has not had a great injury history as well. Rather sell high (see Bill Hall's value from two years ago?).

I'll withdraw the Wood proposal and substitute it with one for Trevor Hoffman for 2 years and $16m. I did not realize Wood was that damaged of goods. With that bad shoulder he consistently threw 96mph and had a really good save conversion rate (34/40 - 85%), and especially so if you pull out the 2 or 3 he blew to the Crew (up over 90%)?

Appreciate the dialouge, and keep it nice. Sorry for missing Ayala as a FA. Pipe dream to get rid of Suppan's contract, but if there's one place he might be able to land it's the Mets maybe.

Archived