http://www.japantimes.co.jp/images/photos2008/sb20080729j1a.jpg

Meanwhile, veteran Takahashi moved a step forward in his bid for

a major league switch at 39 years old.

''I got a call from my agent. I can say that more than one club

has made me offers,'' said Takahashi, who holds a 66-87 record with

five saves and a 4.23 ERA in 14 seasons -- all with the Hiroshima

Carp. He was 8-5 with a 3.50 ERA in 21 games, including 20 starts, in

Takahashi said he plans to meet with his agent this weekend and

will likely get a clear-cut picture of the offers on that occasion.

According to baseball sources, the Chicago Cubs, San Diego

Padres, Milwaukee Brewers and New York Mets are among the major

league clubs that appear interested in acquiring Takahashi.

39 years old with a 3.50 ERA last year in Japan?... Just doesn't seem like it would translate to MLB success.

Yeah, would be kind of a weird move. Only thing that might make him more attractive than an American middle reliever is he might make it easier to make a play on Japanese free agents in the next year or two while he's with the club.

Melvin doesn't have to wait around to bid on a closer. CC only affects whether or not we trade for a starter.

But Melvin does have to wait around to see how much money we actually have available to spend on a closer, and that's directly tied to CC's decision.

IMO we shouldn't be waiting around to find a closer. That is a huge need. We have no one on our roster that I would be comfortable with closing games for us. Please, no one suggest McClung, Villanueva, Bush, or anyone like that. McClung has control problems, and I actually like him as a starter, especially if we don't get CC. Bush has to be a starter either way, and Villanueva is too good in his role to move him. We NEED to look at outside options for closer.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

IMO we shouldn't be waiting around to find a closer. That is a huge need. We have no one on our roster that I would be comfortable with closing games for us. Please, no one suggest McClung, Villanueva, Bush, or anyone like that. McClung has control problems, and I actually like him as a starter, especially if we don't get CC. Bush has to be a starter either way, and Villanueva is too good in his role to move him. We NEED to look at outside options for closer.
Who's available, and what would you be willing to give up?

IMO we shouldn't be waiting around to find a closer. That is a huge need.

There are two HUGE things holding them back, though. Again, CC determines how much money they have to actually spend on one. They're not going to get into a bidding war for someone without knowing how much money they can actually spend.

And if they're looking at free agent closers, whether a closer is offered arby or not will probably play a huge role in who the Brewers go after. They have to wait another 2 weeks or so for that deadline to pass.

Who's available, and what would you be willing to give up?

Hoffman and Wood are both available, among others. I think either could be had for a not outrageous salary.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I get that, I would just like to see something about us talking to some closers. I would consider Wood and Hoffmann for sure. I think Hoffmann is a better fit, and won't be offered arby. He could also come at a decent price for a 2-year deal. I think we could afford him and CC. I really don't like the closers available by trade. I would go after Hoffmann personally.

Replacement for Shouse? Is retaining Brian's House not as much a done deal as we might think? 66-87 record and 4.23 ERA (which are both fine measures if they were earned in relief) are not good at all. Pass. Just 'cos he rebounded a bit in 2008, you can't be all Holy Carp! because he played for the Carp.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

I think Hoffmann is a better fit, and won't be offered arby. He could also come at a decent price for a 2-year deal.
Link that he won't be offered arby? It doesn't even matter, because if we sign him or any other type A free agent now, we lose our pick.

66-87 record and 4.23 ERA (which are both fine measures if they were earned in relief)

A pitching win is never a fine measure. And relievers ERA's are tied a little more into their fellow pitchers with inherited runners being credited to the previous pitcher, so it makes an already weak stat (at predicting future preformance) a bit weaker.

I find it hard to justify the Brewers spending 7-10 million on 1 inning at a time, and spending big money on the bullpen in general. There were some very interesting articles written this past season about the trap of spending big money on bullpens as performance usually fluctuates greatly from year to year. I came up empty on a quick google search, but I know they were linked here originally so maybe someone will remember them and post the links.

My disdain of defined bullpen roles aside, I just don't see money spent on FA bullpen pitchers as good value. If I were going to prioritize where I'd like the Brewers to spend money on FAs it would go position players, starting pitchers, and then the bullpen. We're dealing with a payroll cap for the Brewers right around 90 million, so anytime we're discussing paying a single player 10% or more of the team's total available payroll I'm going to want maximum value for the dollar. I realize that the Brewers were to the point where a single marginal win mattered in 2008, but I'm not sure that will be the case in 2009 depending on how the roster shakes out. With some internal options available on the roster now and in the upper minor leagues, I'd rather not drop significant money on a closer this off season. As far as the position being a huge need, it's realistically the 4th or 5th priority for Melvin behind 2 spots in the rotation, 3B, and the middle infield. I know people will argue against Weeks being an issue, but Melvin clearly thought he was as he traded for Durham and SS only becomes an issue if Hardy is moved for pitching.

If it came down to it I'd rather give Aguilar a shot before signing Wood (people are seriously considering him? Injury history anyone?) and Hoffman. I'm certainly not into giving up anything in the way of draft picks to acquire a FA closer either given their marginal impact, as Peavy stated, I'd stay away from anyone who was offered arbitration.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I think Hoffmann is a better fit, and won't be offered arby. He could also come at a decent price for a 2-year deal.
Link that he won't be offered arby? It doesn't even matter, because if we sign him or any other type A free agent now, we lose our pick.

He made $7.5 million last season, so he would be awarded a minimum of $6 million in arbitration. The Padres had given him a $4 million offer, but withdrew it because they don't want to pay him even that. It'd be pretty surprising if they offered him arbitration after that decision.

He made $7.5 million last season, so he would be awarded a minimum of $6 million in arbitration. The Padres had given him a $4 million offer, but withdrew it because they don't want to pay him even that. It'd be pretty surprising if they offered him arbitration after that decision.

But if the Brewers hurried out and signed him before the arby deadline, they'd absolutely offer him arby.

Well the arby deadline is December 1, so we can get something going there and then sign him if he isn't offered arby. Not that hard to do. There is no way the Padres will offer him arby after offering $4 million per year. So if we wait until December 1 we should be good to go. If CC hasn't signed with anyone by the arby deadline, and Melvin doesn't act, we will probably lose out on early shots at some free agents. So, I hope CC decides soon.

If CC hasn't signed with anyone by the arby deadline, and Melvin doesn't act, we will probably lose out on early shots at some free agents. So, I hope CC decides soon.
CC won't be deciding soon. The Dodgers look to be taking their sweet time with dealing with Manny which is their #1 priority and CC is the back up plan. Until Boras and Manny return with their demands to the Dodgers CC is going to be waiting for the Dodgers to make their bid on him along with the Angels who are waiting to hear from Teixeira another Boras client before talking with CC. The Giants are also interested in CC. I doubt the Giants really make a serious offer to CC though but maybe they will. I believe Melvin will lose patience with CC and rightfully so you can't be held hostage when the team needs to fill other holes.

I'm hoping over the Thanksgiving weekend CC will let Melvin know what it would take to get him to play for the Brewers but CC is still waiting on the left coast teams to make an offer. I don't see that happening since Boras is taking his sweet time with Teixeira and Manny.

Does anyone else think Dayan Viciedo would be a much better risk to take? Ramirez got a 4 year / $4.75 million contract from the Sox last year. If we are going to toss a few million at a foreign player, let's make it the 19 year old 3B with tremendous upside.

Archived