Brewer Fanatic

Mike Lowell

In his most recent column, Ken Rosenthal lists four teams to whom Boston may attempt to trade Mike Lowell, if they are able to sign Mark Teixeira, and thus move Kevin Youkilis back to third base. His list includes Milwaukee.

To be clear, Rosenthal merely lists four teams, there is no real connection to any of them, this was just his speculation as to who may have interest, etc.

Do I think Mike Lowell would make the Brewers better than they currently are? Yes.

What would I give for a 35-year-old, who is owed 12M in each of the next two seasons, and is coming off hip surgery? Not much, until I see him play.

Lowell has a limited no-trade clause, I have no idea how the Brewers are affected by that.

I think if Lowell's healthy enough, he totally wastes a Hall/Branyan platoon. The only way a Hall/Branyan comes close is if they're both healthy and produce at their career-best levels. I wouldn't bet on that.

Acquiring Lowell would enable the Brewers to move Cameron for other assets. Plus they could probably dump some salary on Boston (Suppan? Hall?) to get Lowell. Assuming Lowell's healthy (not a sure thing, of course), his production stands to be greater than Cameron's with a better BA, comparable if not better OBP, and the equivalent of ~80 fewer Ks. Lowell's also a better defender at 3B than Hall or Branyan. Makes me wonder what the down side is.

Granted, the whole thing could turn out entirely differently with the injury variable. But if no other earth-shattering deals come up, I'd go for it even if it meant Gamel spent some time on the pines in Milwaukee. More likely Gamel starts at AAA and proves his elbow's healthy and he's found his mojo again. If everything goes optimally, then the Brewers are in a position to deal from a depth of quality assets.

Career .278/.343/.467 hitter. Branyan a career .234/.335/.491/.826 hitter vs righties and Hall a career .278/.355/.493/.848 hitter against lefties. I'd take the Branyan/Hall platoon plus the few million saved for a bullpen arm or something.

Lowell vs. Cameron:

- Similar bats, I think favoring Lowell (assuming he's healthy).

- Fairly similar salary.

- Probably better odds of finding a LH-hitting OF that meets the Brewers' stated needs than a LH-hitting 3B out on the market (figuring it's more prudent to count on Gamel starting the year in AAA after his elbow issues).

- Lowell a better fielder at 3B than Hall/Branyan.

Hall couldn't hit after last June when about all he faced was lefties. I believe Hall has proved that he can't really be counted on anymore and would benefit more by a change of scenery.

My plan:

1. Trade for Lowell. Dump salary of Hall (preferably, or Suppan, I suppose). Red Sox can afford a $6M very versatile backup IF. Or take one of Boston's decent young pitchers in exchange for taking on all of Lowell's '09 & '10 salary.

2. Re-sign Branyan as reserve corner IF. Insurance for Lowell's health. LH power bat. Respectable D at 3B. Can start for prolonged periods if healthy.

3. Sign Punto as reserve middle IF and potential starting IF #5 (real PT threat to Weeks if needed, too). Solid D. Significant starting experience at 3B, SS, & 2B.

4. Trade Cameron to Yankees for something decent -- Cabrera & Hughes would do nicely & possibly be realistic given how much they're interested in Cameron. Don't touch Cano on account of his obscene future salaries. Get the Yankees to take Suppan (or Hall if the Red Sox take Suppan for Lowell). They'd pay $10M for a #4 or #5 starter most years anyway.

Lowell, Bucholz and Ellsbury for Prince and Billy Hall.

Unless Lowell comes with Ellsbury (who could play CF and lead off - while batting from the left side) - I'd pass.

I think I'd consider this, too. Including Prince might get us a 4th decent piece back in the deal, too, and Boston's got the resources to contend with Boras' inevitable salary expectations for Fielder.

The Brewers have options for 1B. None are as potent as Fielder, but most stand to have some degree of respectability.

Lowell, Bucholz and Ellsbury for Prince and Billy Hall.

Unless Lowell comes with Ellsbury (who could play CF and lead off - while batting from the left side) - I'd pass.

I think I'd consider this, too. Including Prince might get us a 4th decent piece back in the deal, too, and Boston's got the resources to contend with Boras' inevitable salary expectations for Fielder.

The Brewers have options for 1B. None are as potent as Fielder, but most stand to have some degree of respectability.

you don't think the Red Sox would be catching the worse end of the deal in that one? i don't see that they'd do that; it's like one starter for three.

Ellsbury had a down year. (.729 OPS)

In 16 major league games this year Buchholz had a 6.75 ERA. (And while still young, he isn't that young. He is 24)

Lowell is a salary dump - and would allow them to move Youk to 3B.

I don't believe the Sox would do the trade. However, before the Coco trade - I thought Ellsbury might be available. (Coco had a better year) I am just obsessed with Ellsbury as he perfectly fits the Brewer's needs.

Acquiring Lowell does have it's merits, but it really depends on what else is done during the offseason. This seems like a supplementary move, one that fills the void at 3B while sending some bad salary back.

If the Brewers sign a FA pitcher or trade for one, a Lowell for Suppan deal is one that I'd consider.

Also, I realize some people have a love-fest for Branyan, but the guy simply can't stay healthy. Counting on him for the major part of a platoon is extremely risky especially when the backup is Hall vs. RHP. Branyan seems to be good for a 2-3 week hot streak and then below average production prior to injuring himself. He's definitely an option I wouldn't dismiss, but I feel more like he's more of a last resort.

You're kidding me, right. If you followed baseball at all, you would have realized that this past year was his first full year in the bigs.
Thanks Ned Yost.

Ellsbury burst onto the scene last year with a .903 OPS in 127 PA.

This year he had a .729 OPS.

And while he was sitting on the bench during the ALCS, Coco was putting up a 1.092 OPS.

I completely stand by my statement. His value was higher after 2007 than after the 2008 season.

I wonder if we could get a Corey Koskie deal on Lowel.

I would much rather get a discounted salary on Lowel than just throw in Hall and his Salary.

I wonder if Boston would be willing to eat 16-20 million on Lowell. That would make next years infield very formidable with Hall getting the Super Sub role back.

I agree with And That. I don't really care what handed Lowel is. I just care that he can hit right handed pitching. And a .299/.351/.491 line over the last 3 seasons against right handers pretty much says that he can hit them. Test the back, make sure it is a go, then get the deal done.

Since the purpose of the Red Sox trading Lowell is to save money and open a spot for Texiera, I'm not sure they would be willing to pay that much of his salary. He is set to make 24 million dollars over his age 35 and 36 seasons, and is coming off surgery on his right hip for a torn labrum. From various reports I've seen, he is expected to be fully recovered sometime this winter, before spring training, but that is always a major question mark.

A healthy Mike Lowell would solve our 3b problems and be a good proffesional #5 batter that would be able to protect Prince in our lineup. I would be willing to take a chance on him if it meant they would pick up a portion of his contract, and we would only have to send a mid to lower level prospect.

Would I trade prospects for Mike Lowell? Heck no.

Would I trade Suppan and Hall for Lowell and a reliever? In a heartbeat.

Last year showed us that having Cameron in center field really helped our team defense. Moving Braun off of third didn't hurt either. Adding Lowell would help us defensively, big time. He may not have the range he used to, but Hall and Branyan aren't near the defender Lowell is.

He would make a little contact too. Hall and Branyan together could whiff 200 times.

So that is the only way you would do that trade? I see no reason why the Red Sox would pick up both of their contracts, Mike Lowell has been a very valuable player, and is expected to be fully recovered by spring training.

I think the best case scenario would be to acquire him for a mid-level prospect, and have them pickup a small portion (4-8) million of the contract.

I'm interested to hear what people think it would take to acquire Lowell, and if you think it would be worth it?

VS RHP

Lowell .277/.340/.459/.799

Branyan .234/.335/.491/.826

VS LHP

Lowell .287/.354/.493/.848

Hall .278/.355/.493/.847

I guess I would stick with Hall and Branyan at 3B. It wouldn't cost us players for Hall/Branyan at 3B like Lowell would.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived