Brewer Fanatic

Melvin's comments from Jsonline

Why would the Dbacks drop him though?

Well, since it doesn't look like the Dbacks will re-sign Byrnes (Arizona is stacked with OF depth), there are stories/rumors that they are willing to listen to offers for him. However, they don't have a lot of incentive to trade him, since they are fighting for a playoff spot themselves. I can't see the Dbacks trading their (arguably) best player this year, just because he might walk after the season.

Quote:
its been said and ill repeat it...win now is an attitude you need to have....cards and cubs both now will spend freely and even if the brewers improve.... what makes any of us think that next year will be any better if not worse....you gotta take what is withen reach and the playoffs are withen reach right now...and yet might not even have a chance next year

It's that sort of attitude that can ruin a small market team for many years. The Cubs can afford to trade prospects as they can just reload in free agency. Also both of those teams are veteran teams so "win now" makes a lot more sense for them.

The Brewers are a young team, the core of which should remain together for at least a few years yet, and should improve as they get older. So we have much more reason to expect that this team will continue to contend and improve than we do to worry that they won't. On the ESPN chat, one of their correspondents said that he had a hard time finding holes in the Brewers right now, current form not withstanding, and wouldn't be surprised if they decided to stand pat. So it isn't just me that's saying it. While I'd like to see some moves, to go into a "win now" mode in the first year all of these players have been together is nothing short of panic, and a panic move never turns out well.

I agree I think you have to keep the young Core the team has put together. That core does not include Prince, however I wish it did.

Everyone knows as soon as he can he will bolt to a big market club (Yankees, Red Sox, Mets,etc.) We will just not be able to afford him.

So lets try keep the real core that we can like Braun, Hart, Gallardo, Hardy, and Weeks. Sign these to long term deals as soon as we can. Along with Billy and the right free agents and up and comers through the farm system I believe we can be a team that can contend for several years.

Archived