Brewer Fanatic

Melvin's comments from Jsonline

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=639964

Quote:
Despite the recent acquisition of reliever Scott Linebrink, Milwaukee Brewers general manager Doug Melvin remains concerned enough about his overworked bullpen that he spoke Monday to the Texas Rangers about closer Eric Gagne. Melvin would only say "no comment" Monday night when asked specifically about his interest in Gagne. But he regularly shoots down trade rumors if they are false and did not do so regarding Gagne. "I'm talking to three or four clubs about different things," said Melvin, who will continue to explore deals until the 3 p.m. non-waiver trade deadline today."I'm not going to comment on specific teams or players. It's fair to say I'm looking to improve the club."<hr>

who could those players be, I wonder.

Cool, we may not be done.

I'd love a Gwynn for Gagne deal, and I'd have to imagine Gwynn is out best trade piece. I'm not sure how I'd feel about giving up one of our three young starters, but for a 2 month player, I'd be pretty dissapointed.

If we were to let Gagne, Linebrink, Cordero for FA if we do get Gagne, we could have 7 1st round picks.

That could be huge, or it could be disastrous. Imagine going the budget route!

Still, I think it'd take a lot to get Gagne, so I can't see it happening.

People are counting 1 st round picks way too early. You only get 1st round picks if a the team signing the player is good and its the highest rated player they sign. For example if the Yankees sign Linebrink he could easily be the third highest FA they sign (assuming he gets classified type A to begin with). So now the 1st round pick is a 3rd round pick.

Next, Gagne is likely not to be type A. Its based on two seasons and Gagne pitched 2 inning in 2006. He'll be lucky to be considered type B.

For example if the Yankees sign Linebrink he could easily be the third highest FA they sign (assuming he gets classified type A to begin with). So now the 1st round pick is a 3rd round pick.

But you ARE guaranteed a sandwich pick. So the value of even that situation is that you get a 1st/3rd for 2 months of a guy.

But yeah, it's far from a lock that Gagne will be type A.

I don't buy that it would take Gwynn, plus a player, plus a pitching prospect for Gagne. Or, if it would, that the Brewers would even consider this for one second.

Sorry, but we sat here last year talking about how little we would get for Lee considering that he was going to be a free agent and it was unlikely he'd be back. I'm not sure how this is any different, beyond Gagne having even less value to the Brewers than Lee did to teams chasing him last year.

Gwynn has some good value in his own right. I'm not overrating him, but he plays CF well, hits for average, and has some ability on the bases. A two month rental for a closer (who may not even close here) is not even close to Gwynn, another player from the roster plus a pitching prospect IMHO. Not for the Brewers.

Gagne, for the Brewers, is pure luxury. With Cordero, Turnbow, Linebrink and Wise already, the Brewers need another bat or an upgrade in the rotation a lot more than yet another one-inning guy.

Sorry to have this outside of the main Gagne thread, but I wanted to respond to this one comment directly.

Last offseason, Justin Speier, Chad Bradford, Roberto Hernandez, and Danys Baez all signed FA deals with new teams as type A FAs.

Teams also recieve a 1st round supplemental for type B FAs. Mike Stanton and Jamie Walker fit that category last offseason.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

"A two month rental for a closer (who may not even close here) is not even close to Gwynn, another player from the roster plus a pitching prospect IMHO. Not for the Brewers."

Well, we'd really be getting 2 months of Gwynn plus the 2 high draft picks we'd get as compensation after Gagne leaves.

Is this the first year with the revised performance percentages?

Good call Peavey. This year I believe the Type A classification changes from the top 30% to the top 20%, with Type B moving from the top 30-50% to the top 20-40%.

And I believe the ratings are still based on the player's last two years in the big-leagues, as I'm not sure where Gagne would fit since he missed almost all of last year.

it depends how deep the draft would be, as to what we'd get with the picks.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

The question about Gagne's status as a Type A or Type B free agent I would think would only help the Brewers to aquire him. With Linebrink everyone kind of assumes that the Brewers had to give up that much to get Linebrink and those two picks. If there are questions about what level free agent Gagne is it is only going to temper his value, trade wise.

Could it be possible that Gagne will cost less than Linebrink? Probably, IMO. Gagne is a much better pitcher but has injury problems. Has questions about what level of free agent he will be. Is on a team that isn't competing this year.

Jayson Stark is saying nothing new on the Gagne front yet, and the Brewers are still just as much in it as Boston. They made it seem as if Dye to Boston was done, essentially freeing up Gagne to the Crew.

Wrong thread, I'm pasting into the Gagne thread, sorry.

ESPN are now reporting Gagne to Boston (been keeping one eye on their live chat). I know a lot of you were loving the idea of Gagne, but I was dreading giving up too much, so I'm pretty relieved (no pun intended).

I'd much rather we spend our resources (if we're going to spend them) on a starter who can eat some innings, letting the quality guys we already have in the pen rest up a little every now and then.

Quote:
I'm starting to think with only an hour 20 left that nothing will be done.

I think you're right. But to be fair to Melvin, he's probably hearing a lot of offers that make no sense for the team or require him to mortgage the future for this season. We're all excited about this season being "our" year, but this is a very young team and what should be just the first of many contending years, so giving up the farm to "win now" is a little less attractive. That being said, I was surprised at how much he surrendered to get Linebrink. He must have had some negative (or less than glowing) reports on Inman.

its been said and ill repeat it...win now is an attitude you need to have....cards and cubs both now will spend freely and even if the brewers improve.... what makes any of us think that next year will be any better if not worse....you gotta take what is withen reach and the playoffs are withen reach right now...and yet might not even have a chance next year

Archived