Brewer Fanatic

Does anyone think Braun could man center field?

BREWCREW5

I'm worried that if we kept screwing with him by moving him to a different position every year, then he'd end up being another Bill Hall.

Stay in left field, hit 40 HR's and drive in 120 RBI's, and worry about the other 7 positions.

I wonder if back before teh internetz people were asking things like "anyone think Cecil Cooper could catch?" or anyone think Gorman Thomas can play short?

We are all guilty of the video game baseball mentality (including me sometimes) of playing guys anywhere we have a hole. It just does not work that way.

I think he could...but I'd rather not see him moved (except for maybe to RF if we obtain an Adam Dunn type this off-season).

My dad actually used to play amateur baseball, and claims Braun would be a good center fielder. He would know more than I, but I'd still rather not see Braun change positions yet again.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Braun could play CF, but I'd wait a year or two at least and let him learn the OF a bit more. We may have a future CF in the minors (I'm not talking about Gwynn) and we'll have to see how he pans out. I don't see Braun moved to CF this year unless he absolutely has to. I'd rather see him stick there and get more comfortable. I think he could play CF, but like those that followed the Brewers this year know Braun played pretty deep and that wouldn't work in CF. There'd be a lot of balls dropping for hits. I also think Cam made Braun a better OF this year then he really is. That being said Braun is a fine athlete and will adapt to the OF...no need to move him unless we stumble upon some free agent bargains or great trades.

A better option than Hart imo.

After 2008, I thoroughly believe this as well. Braun looked good in LF, Hart looked adequate in RF. If one of the two would ever be relied on to play center for some length, I now think it should be Braun (though I'd still prefer it be neither).

Community Moderator

I don't think so at all.

Braun was definitely sold in LF. However, he isn't as quick as Hart or especially Cameron, so there are balls that both Hart and Cameron make diving attempts at which Braun doesn't get to. This is especially noticeable on balls hit over his head--he plays deep to compensate for it and it doesn't cost you much in LF, but it would in center.

I think Cameron was a great CF for us last year, I don't see why people want to replace him.

Braun has the speed to play cf, but I think he lacks the instinct. He often takes a conservative approach to balls hit to him in lf. You can't do that in cf. He would really have to improve. The only reason he didn't make an error this year is because of his conservative play. I wasn't very impressed by his play in lf, because I feel that he took bad angles on plenty of balls, and should've been more aggressive, much like Geoff Jenkins. Although, Jenkins was injured a lot in his career, so I won't argue. With his arm, I would consider him in rf more than I would in cf. I think he could be better than Hart in rf.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Did you see the two terrible, I mean horribly awful plays he made against the Cubs this year?

Oh yeah, he's not Mike Cameron so no one remembers those.

He's not ready to play CF, he has major problems getting a jump on the ball and reading balls hit right at him.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Braun could play CF. His offensive advantage would probably even outweigh the balls he wouldn't get to. I don't think it would be ideal, though, unless the other OFers were Dunn and Manny. I think Cameron's ability to play CF this year was a boost to the pitching performances the Brewers got this year. I would prefer a good defensive player in CF, unless their offense is so bad that it doesn't make up for their defense (Juan Pierre).

I'm worried that if we kept screwing with him by moving him to a different position every year, then he'd end up being another Bill Hall.

Stay in left field, hit 40 HR's and drive in 120 RBI's, and worry about the other 7 positions.

Or he could be the next Pujols who moved around before settling into 1B or Chipper Jones who got better after he moved back to 3B from LF. Hall had his stats fall because he isn't very good, not because he moved positions.

I think Braun could handle CF but it is more of a strain, increased chances of minor injuries etc. I'm also not sure if he has to skill to stay at CF as he gets older and his physical tools slip some so it might be a short term position for him if he did move.

A better option than Hart imo.

After 2008, I thoroughly believe this as well. Braun looked good in LF, Hart looked adequate in RF. If one of the two would ever be relied on to play center for some length, I now think it should be Braun (though I'd still prefer it be neither).

I wasn't all that impressed with Corey in the field last year either. Maybe its those long legs, but he looked a little lackadaisical out there at times - a little awkward even.

I'm not against trying Braun out there, but I think he needs at least another year in Left before the team seriously considers it. Braun was pretty cautious out there (in my view anyway) last year. Maybe another year in the OF will get him more comfortable trying to make those tougher plays.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm in the same fold of saying Braun should remain a corner OF for now (some allowance for RF if we sign Dunn or simlilar OF). Although our best ever CF went from INF to LF to CF. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

But I'm really curious about the Braun over Hart in CF notion. I know that Hart doesn't have the best of arms for RF, but I've never really seen him worse than Braun. Actually I figured they were pretty equal. And with Hart being the faster runner (no that doesn't mean everything), he would generally be better in CF.

But those are my subjective feelings. Other opinions I've seen for Braun over Hart in CF also seem subjective. Anyone have some numbers to prove one way or the other?

It's video game mentailty to suggest an outfielder could play 2B, SS or 3B. Same goes for a non catcher at C. It's not that crazy to move a good corner outfielder to CF, though. Plenty of corner outfielders can play CF and not embarrass themselves.

Braun only has 1 year of experience in the outfield, though. He'll need a lot longer than that to develop the instinct to be even an average CF. Maybe he'll be the kind of guy who gets 10 starts a year in CF in a couple years. He might have gotten too late of a start to ever be a full time starter there, however.

With his arm, I would consider him in rf more than I would in cf. I think he could be better than Hart in rf.

I agree with PrinceEatMeat -- and especially the above -- I think Braun could play CF in a pinch, but I don't think he has the instincts or skills to play it well. I do think he has a strong enough arm to play RF, and could be a very solid RF.

Initially I thought Hart could be a great CF, but I was not impressed with Hart's fielding at all this past season. I think Braun ultimately will be used like Jenkins was, where depending on who the other OFer is, Braun will play one of the corner OF spots... If in 2 years the Brewers acquire a Carlos Lee type of player, I think Braun will play RF, if the Brewers acquire a guy like Jeff Francoeur, then Braun will play LF.

I just don't get the sense that Braun will ever have the instincts and quick reaction to hold down CF. I do think though that he could become a very solid corner.

I'm sure he can do a decent job in CF, but Cameron is better so we might as well use him for the time being, and worry about it in 2010. Maybe Lorenzo Cain will be able to jump right in, maybe Gwynn will finally develop some power, maybe the ghost of Jason Conti will reappear as a hitting machine, you never know.

On thing that imo gets lost in people reflecting on Braun having a good season in the field at LF is that Cameron's presence in CF gave him such a safety net. Don't get me wrong, Braun was much better than I'd expected/hoped, but Cam bailed him out many a time, and allowed Braun to have to worry about covering less ground than if we had a more average CF beside him.

That said, I do think Braun could develop into an avg or above-avg. CF... but I'm not sure if it's worth the headaches that would come along with his learning curve. His value as a CF would be incredible, though.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I remember seeing something similar this on this board:

2009 runs saved projections in CF:

Cameron ~ +3

Braun ~ -8

Hart ~ -9

Obviously, I'm only guessing as to what was actually posted and I'm too lazy to do actual research on it.

My question is this: Let's say that those projections hold up, and we trade Cameron to the Yankees for whatever. How many runs would Braun gain with his bat over average if he were playing CF instead of LF and lived to projections? A .300/.360/.570 CF would be worth a HUGE amount of VoRP offensively. Would the difference be more than 11 runs?

Archived