Brewer Fanatic

New from Jayson Stark (Sheets, Cameron, closers)

Among the tidbits...

Roy Oswalt is lobbying the Astros to sign Ben Sheets, but so far they don't seem willing to spend this winter.

Stark wonders if the Brewers will deal Cameron to New York, or whether Melvin's recent remarks regarding the Yankees' "over bidding" for Sabathia may indicate an issue between the two teams.

The market this winter may actually be tough for closers....that is...for the closers themselves.

http://sports.espn.go.com...jayson&page=rumblings

I'm not sure I buy the whole "the Brewers aren't going to trade Cameron to the Yankees because they overbid for CC" argument. I think it has been way overblown. I recall reading a clarification from Melvin, in essence saying he wasn't surprised at the offer. What he was surprise about was that two hours after the offer was made it was breaking news on ESPN. I think Stark and other "club officials" are reading way too much into it myself. But what do I know. I'm just an avid Brewer fan.
Follow me on Twitter

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If the Yanks came with a good deal for Cameron, I doubt Melvin would turn it down. I mean, he can't really be "upset" that NY offered $140 million, can he? He had to know that they only chance the Brewers had was for CC to take a major discount to stay with the Brewers.

The closer situation was very interesting based on that article... I was hoping the Brewers could get Hoffman for $6-7 million for 2 years, but perhaps they could get someone better if no one is buying...

Edit- clarified the "good deal"

Invader3K[/b]]It depends on who you think is "better" that is on the market, than Hoffman, though. I doubt the Brewers are going after K-Rod. Maybe Kerry Wood is a realistic possiblity, though.

Yeah, Kerry Wood did cross my mind. Although I'm still a bit leery about the injury situation. Of course it would be sooo sweet to have Wood close the game at Wrigley after Marmol blew a save. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Although rather than "better", maybe I should have said equal, but younger?

Would you take K-Rod at the same deal Coco got from the Reds? 4yr-46mil (if my memory serves me right)?

Quote from the Jayson Stark article:

First off, it's great news for a team such as the Mets, who appear to be the only big-budget shopper looking to plow major dollars into a closer. So the odds of K-Rod's being able to get his rumored price (five years, $75 million) are sinking by the day. "I'd be shocked," said an official of one team in the bullpen market, "if he gets five years at this point." But even if Rodriguez has to scuffle by on a three-year or four-year deal at $13-14 million a year, the good news for him is: At least he's still looking highly employable.

If he does take that small of a deal, I doubt he takes it with the Brewers (small market curse), but the article was where I got the idea. No way would I want him at $70-80 million.

Would you take K-Rod at the same deal Coco got from the Reds? 4yr-46mil (if my memory serves me right)?

I personally wouldn't. I don't think the Brewers should be spending huge money on only one part of their bulllpen this off season. I'd rather sign a guy like Hoffman for a much more modest 1 or 2 year deal. K-Rod could just as easily only have one more good year, then suffer the typical "closer's curse" that seems to haunt so many of these guys. Then you're still on the hook for $30 million+.

If the Brewers are going to sign one guy to a huge contract, it should be a starting pitcher or a big bopper type LF or 3B (and even that is debatable).

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived