Brewer Fanatic

blackberry users - especially Us Cellular

zingsheim

Hi gang, Who uses a Blackberry? I have US cellular and have thought about getting one. Is it worth the 25 extra bucks a month for email and internet service? I wanted the basic one without the extra package, but with US cellular if you get a blackberry you have to get the 25 extra email internet package. I don't know if it's worth the extra 25 a month. The phone is a blackberry pearl, and would be free after a 70 $ mail in rebate. Thanks for the info.

Aaron

I could be missing something, but I thought the whole point of a blackberry was to have e-mail and internet.

I don't have a blackberry, but do have a smart phone (Moto Q) through US Cellular, and I really like having the e-mail and internet features.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I like my Pearl (which I unfortunately bought long before this whole 'free' thing http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif ) quite a bit- the downside is no full keyboard, so you have to double tap some letters. That's the only real thing it's missing. It's also nice and compact, unlike the Curve, so it doesn't feel like you're holding a laptop to your head when you're making a call and actually fits into your pocket like a normal phone.

But the major reason to get a blackberry is e-mail and internet access, which I love having. Though if it's free, I guess it's not necessary. As a warning though, if you decide to go with the 'step down' plan that limits you to like 4 meg per month, be very careful. 4 meg goes REALLY fast- it's like 1/10th of what I use in terms of internet in a month- and I think if you go over, they might hit you with overage charges.

I have a Blackberry that I have to use for work once in awhile, and I hate it. The interface is annoying, the applications aren't particularly great, and the selection of third-party applications is rather uninspiring. I don't know why anybody would actually *choose* be such a workaholic that they need their email in their pocket.

Used to have a PalmOS Treo that was decent, though.

I travel a lot for work and having the email access is really nice. Some of my co-workers have different phones that accomplish all of the same tasks and don't seem to have as many random problems as my phone does. My biggest complaint is that my version is a bit bulky and occasionally I forget to lock the keys (which leads to some awkward phone calls from my pocket. This is particularly neat when my boss is getting a bunch of 2:00 am phone calls while I am out at bars.) I've just now gotten good at using the internet and some of the extra functions the phone provides. Overall I find that it is worth while.

I have a Curve for work, but wouldn't think to buy it for personal use. Not a huge fan of the interface. Haven't seen the new touch-screen one in action though, which I understand caters more toward the non-business user.

We will be rolling out the Storms once they get to market. Launch was Friday but it always takes a bit. But I hate how they give nicknames... each company gives it nick names, but they are all series based.

7300 series - built like a tank. Really big, but side button scroller thing. It's just to big, otherwise no complaints.

8800 and 8300 - Thinner, but the scroller ball can be a bit weird at times. No real downer except BBOS is a bit clunky at times, the 8830 rocks if you live some place with reception issues. The quad band makes a world of difference.

8200 Pearl - Size is nice, but that double tap is a pain in the butt. If you just want to use it as a phone with some extra email features (But don't email a lot off it) it works fine.

Anyways, you may have to activate the service but then you can kill it. Just make sure you don't access the internet as they are going to destroy you with charges. As far as ranking smart phone OS's... I'd go..

1 - iPhone (#1 Personal. I know it's trendy, but it's a really well built interface, and it just works)

2 - Blackberry (#1 Business phone, BES is very robust and never fails).

3 - Treo with Palm OS (Seems to handle the platform better, but it's to old to be really handy, and the phones are very bulky)

4 - Something

5 - Windows Mobile. I'm sorry but Windows Mobile platform SUCKS. It doesn't handle multitasking very well, and the phone simply crawls to a hault at times if something hangs. It's a horrible horrible implementation.

Archived