Brewer Fanatic

Crisp to Royals for Ramon Ramirez

JohnBriggs12

I would not be surprised if the Cubs complete a deal in the very near future and acquire Teahan. In the meantime, everyone around us is making moves or at the least posturing to make moves except for us.

Good, and I hope they give up something of value. He wouldn't really help them much, as his value would be enhanced by playing 3B, where the cubs don't need his production. Unless they move Soriano to CF and bench Fukudome with Hoffpauir and Teahan in the corners, and Teahan reverts to 2006 form, I don't see the need for him.

Now, with our muddy 3B situation, I'd like to see Teahan acquired for a modest price, and I'd guess there are several other teams that would make a better fit than the Cubs.

Brian the Automator wrote

Consider me unbothered that the Cubs are going to get Teahan, especially if they give up Pie.

Pie is fallen far short of expectations. The Cubs had the same problem as we did in regards to lack of lefthanded hitters. They are in the process of fixing that problem. Teahan would be a good get for them as he would be for us. Also they went out and got a closer and signed one of their free agent pitchers. On top of that, they might or might not go after Peavy. Right now our starting staff doesn't even come close to the Cubs and I hate to break the news to everyone around here but the Cubs won the central division this last year and are upgrading their team for next year. In the meantime, CC is as good as gone after the huge Yankee offer. Its doubtful Sheets is around next year. Our closer retired and we are not named with any decent free agent in the market. Yea its real early in the process but we have a lot of gaping holes to fill and all I see is other teams making moves. Yea this looks like the making of a great competitive team next year.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/ohwell.gif

But hey I guess we can all cling to the thought of this young team making huge enough strides that we will compete for the central division title while the Cards, Cubs and Astros actually go out and acquire talent.

Yea its real early in the process but we have a lot of gaping holes to fill and all I see is other teams making moves. Yea this looks like the making of a great competitive team next year.

It's 6 days into free agency and 2-3 weeks before historically anything major actually takes place. And other teams making moves? So far the only free agent signing with a new team was a middle reliever to the Giants, and the only other free agent move was Dempster re-signing with the Cubs. It's not like stuff is happening left and right and we're sitting idly by.

Badgerjobob is absolutely right. The Cubs see a need and right away they are out there trying to fill it while Melvin whiffed on every lefthanded bat available last winter. Sure Teahen's numbers aren't going to scare anyone, but look what Edmonds did in that lineup last year on his last legs. Teahen could put up some pretty impressive numbers in Wrigley surrounded by Soriano, Lee and Ramirez. I don't think KC had anything comparable to those 3. Pie has zero options left. It's not like he was being counted on for anything. But I think their number one target is DeJesus.

So what their have been a grand total of 2 FA signings so far (2 relievers no less) and a couple minor if not inconsequential trades and we all of a sudden are panicking? Give the guy some time. Can you blame Doug for not making any moves considering he doesn't know if he is going to have another $20M+ committed next year to CC? He has to figure that situation out first before he gets aggressive pursuing other FA's and trades. Doug makes it sound like he should know one way or the other fairly shortly.

Were really worried about Mark Teahen? The Mark Teahan who had a .715 OPS last year and has declined in each of the last 3 years? Yeah they can go ahead and trade more of their depth for a .715 OPS corner outfielder. We should be encouraging this.

The Cubs see a need and right away they are out there trying to fill it while Melvin whiffed on every lefthanded bat available last winter.

I'm sorry, I think Doug has far more pressing things on his table right now (CC/Sheets) than worrying about getting a guy that didn't hit RHP last season, and has been a very poor option at corner OF for the past two (Teahen)

EDIT: I think [adding Crisp] somewhat speaks to what they think of DeJesus defensively. Joey Gathright, who has almost no power and isn't the threat on the basepaths you would think he should be given his speed, actually received more regular playing time in CF last year, so if they feel DeJesus is better in LF, they may have wanted to get more of a true CF.

Fwiw, the 2009 Chone defensive projections have DeJesus at a +9 for the corners and a +3 for CF. Coincidentally, Mike Cameron's projected identically.

Gathright's at +11 & +4; Crisp +5 & -3

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived