Brewer Fanatic

Crisp to Royals for Ramon Ramirez

JohnBriggs12

Being reported as a done deal. Royals basically gave up what is an equivalent to Carlos Villanueva. Should be good deal for Boston.

Now, the interesting part is that it makes either DeJesus or Teahen expendable. Cubs were rumored to be dangling Pie for one of those guys but now Royals have Crisp, that's not such a great offer.

Where do Royals have a hole? 2B is where. Weeks for DeJesus anyone?

Its certainly a curious move if they dont plan on trading DeJesus. The Brewers need to jump on this, but if you trade Hart, do you put DeJesus or Cameron in right?

I still like Hart. I'd like to see them try to trade a prospect for Dejesus and then turn around and trade Cameron for some bullpen help.

Its certainly a curious move if they dont plan on trading DeJesus. The Brewers need to jump on this, but if you trade Hart, do you put DeJesus or Cameron in right?

I still like Hart. I'd like to see them try to trade a prospect for Dejesus and then turn around and trade Cameron for some bullpen help.

I don't think the Royals would take a prospect for DeJesus. Obviously if the Brewers acquired DeJesus, they would trade Cameron. I don't see Hart as the match. The Brewers need to get a guy to play CF so they can trade Cameron and his $10 million salary. The Royals still have Teahan in RF. Weeks makes more sense for them and the Brewers. Sure the Royals wanted to add power in corner OF but Weeks is a 15-20 HR guy at second base and all they have there now are no power guys like Estaban German. It fills their 2B hole, and it gets the Brewers a leadoff hitter.

I would gladly take David's .360 + OPB left handed bat on this team. .360 isn't spectacular but it is still pretty darn good. Perhaps he would suited to hit 2nd in the lineup behind Weeks since he got caught stealing 8 out of 19 times last year. He has also struck out less than 85 times in each of the last 3 years with 500 or more AB's. He has got decent power as well.

I would still hesitate to part with Weeks, however I think I would be alright with it since he would be going to the AL. If Weeks ever gets his Ave up he will be an OBP monster. I don't know if the Royals would want Hart since Crisp would create a big OF log jam even if DeJesus is traded. 2nd base is their major area of need though and they could always use more pitching. Maybe we could convince them that the Hurricane can be good? Hernan and Villaneuva + a lower level prospect like Lintz, Siedel, or Wright? Would they do Weeks for DeJesus straight up?

Agreed, Stevo, and neither fits in with Melvin's mold of 'buy low/sell high'

DeJesus or Teahen are intriguing candidates, but neither one is really a huge difference-maker. Teahen's 2008 was actually pretty bad, even with normal BABIP numbers.

Teahen 2008:

v. RHP: .252/.314/.394/.708 (.290 BABIP)

Overall: .255/.313/.402/.715 (.306 BABIP)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I am not really crazy about trading either Hart or Weeks for DeJesus. Both have higher ceilings in terms of value.

Both may have higher ceilings but neither has as much value now to this Brewer team as does DeJesus. There's also no guaranty they will ever get to their ceilings and even if they do how the Brewers are going to afford them when they do.

DeJesus on the other hand is fine where he is and has a very reasonable contract through 2011 ($14.3 million remaining).

I have never seen DeJesus play. So these are just guesses. But I am guessing there is a reason that the Royals traded what seems to be a young (27), effective (2.64 ERA), and controllable reliever (4 years under arby yet) for Coco Crisp to play CF when they already had DeJesus who didn't even play there full time last season.

Crisp had a worse BA, OBP, and Slugging in a much better lineup than what DeJesus had. Plus Crisp is older. So why would they trade a pre arby bull-pen arm and take on a 6 million contract obligation to replace what appears to be a better player.

Maybe I am wrong. Maybe DeJesus is the cat's ass in CF however i would not be willing to part with Weeks or Hart to find out.

Crisp had a worse BA, OBP, and Slugging in a much better lineup than what DeJesus had. Plus Crisp is older. So why would they trade a pre arby bull-pen arm and take on a 6 million contract obligation to replace what appears to be a better player.

I think it somewhat speaks to what they think of DeJesus defensively. Joey Gathright, who has almost no power and isn't the threat on the basepaths you would think he should be given his speed, actually received more regular playing time in CF last year, so if they feel DeJesus is better in LF, they may have wanted to get more of a true CF.

Although I agree that I don't completely understand this deal for the Royals, nor did I think picking up Mike Jacobs made much sense, at least not as an everyday option at 1B. These two moves allow Billy Butler to play DH, where he probably fits the best, and moves Jose Guillen back to RF on an everyday basis. They're one acquisition away (a middle infielder) from pretty much having their 2009 team set on paper, although you do have to question how much better they got with these pickups.

It does obviously make one of Teahen or DeJesus available, and hopefully Doug Melvin is exploring both of those options, since they both would have places on the Brewers (Teahen could move back to 3B).

I think it somewhat speaks to what they think of DeJesus defensively. Joey Gathright, who has almost no power and isn't the threat on the basepaths you would think he should be given his speed, actually received more regular playing time in CF last year, so if they feel DeJesus is better in LF, they may have wanted to get more of a true CF.
That is what I was trying to get at. Do the Brewers really want to trade away Hart or Weeks for someone that his prior team found very questionable as a Center Fielder. Now I don't know DeJesus's outfield ability but would he be an upgrade in CF over Hart? I have no idea. And if he wasn't would we still want to trade Hart for DeJesus?

Again I have never seen DeJesus play, but does he have the arm to play RF. I noticed just looking at his profile he has only 51 AB's in RF over the past 3 seasons compared to 500 as a LF and 1,000 as a CF. Also shouldn't we expect more value out of a Right Fielder. DeJesus will be 29 to start next season and has never had an OPS over .820.

I guess I am just playing Devil's Advocate here. I would definitely take him on this team but exactly what are we willing to give up? I also want to make sure he's not another Johny Estrada. Looks great on paper then you get him on your team and you can't wait to get rid of him.

And Dejesus isn't an upgrade over Hart. DeJesus isn't better than any of the current Brewer outfielders. Yes he's left handed but that really doesn't mean much. He only is preferred to Cameron because of his contract where he's signed going forward and is cheap.

I would not be surprised if the Cubs complete a deal in the very near future and acquire Teahan. In the meantime, everyone around us is making moves or at the least posturing to make moves except for us. I have this sinking feeling that this team will remain relatively unchanged except for the fact that we will have lost our 2 ace pitchers and a solid closer from this past year.

I would not be surprised if the Cubs complete a deal in the very near future and acquire Teahan. In the meantime, everyone around us is making moves or at the least posturing to make moves except for us. I have this sinking feeling that this team will remain relatively unchanged except for the fact that we will have lost our 2 ace pitchers and a solid closer from this past year.
Consider me unbothered that the Cubs are going to get Teahan, especially if they give up Pie.

I really wouldn't be concerned about the Cubs getting Mark Teahen and the Brewers not doing anything as of now. Like it's been mentioned, I can't see us making any major signings before the arbitration deadline at the end of the month.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Archived