Brewer Fanatic

Scott Karl interview

splitterpfj

Splitter,

great interview. Being a teacher, I can only imagine how difficult it was to prepare the right info and questions. I enjoyed it. I know Scott had a pretty good year in AAA for the Pirates his last season (probably around 2005), but retired after the season, so I figured there was a reason

Great interview, and a good read.

I thought Karl had a reputation for being a little headstrong during his days. . .not the nicest guy in the world.

But he represented himself very well, and seems to be a good guy.

Thanks for doing the interview and posting it here.

If I remember right, Scott Karl was part of my rotation on Dreamcast while playing World Series Baseball. Could be wrong though...

I'm pretty sure I had that game, and remember Karl being a Brewer on the roster. My memory is pretty hazy of that, though. Anyway, nice interview. You did a good job asking him relevant questions that weren't just the usual rehash stuff that some of these interviews sometimes get into.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

This makes it harder for me to dislike Karl as a person, but as a player he's one of my least favorites. My most vivid memory was Uecker calling a game during one of those nightmare seasons, with Karl continually going to full counts. Ueck was pretty brutal, wondering aloud why Karl didn't just groove one on the first pitch, instead of nibbling and grooving one on 3-1.

It was probably the most brutally-honest I've ever heard Ueck (at least in a story not involving Tyler Houston).

A couple years ago Jeff Cirillo was asked to name his least favorite teammates ever. Without pausing he said Scott Karl and iirc, Phil Nevin.
Karl wasn't among them. Cirillo mentioned Jeff Juden, Phil Nevin and Juan Acevedo.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Great interview, all kinds of tidbits in there. The 28-man roster after the strike giving him his shot, the 4 major league Brewers coming out of Hawaii, the back-to-back home runs he hit -- all good stuff I didn't know before reading the article. Thanks!
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

I was a huge Scott Karl fan back in the day. I never knew why he totally lost it, but I remember the results getting ugly quickly when he did. Too bad. A couple Scott Karl memories:

- a great spring training day in the JS with an article talking about how the up-and-coming Karl had some of the same attributes as Greg Maddux; same day was a great article about Darryl Hamilton and how he just played the game smartly and had lots of promise -- he was another of my dearest favorites in those days

- I own a game-worn road #42 with Karl's autograph. Bought it at the Brewers' Clubhouse in Brookfield Square. Last Brewer to regularly wear #42. Since it was autographed, I figured I could splurge the $200 it cost at the time. The first and only other jersey I ever bought was Darryl Hamilton's.

- I remember going bonkers when Karl hit the homer on the road, then I just happened to be at his next home game when he hit #2. Hooked right around the RF pole.

Thanks, Splitter. Cool interview.

• 3 months later...

Archived