Brewer Fanatic

Guns N' Roses "Chinese Democracy" November 23rd

BrewCrewForever

5 days away from an album that has taken 14 years, numerous studios, band members and millions of dollars. Are you getting it? Are you excited?

I know its not the original GNR, but it is still Axl singing and writing the songs and he has a bunch of good musicians with him. I'm getting it and I am pumped.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I've never heard of an album with so many delays... so much time has passed I still don't believe it'll actually happen. I heard the song in passing on 88.9. Sounded sorta like Use Your Illusion era to me, only not as epic and hence not as interesting. Just my initial thoughts though.

I would have been excited 14 years ago, heck even 10 years ago. But too much time has passed and my tastes have changed drastically since middle school and high school.

To me, Axl Rose was seen as a dinosaur at the dawn of the grunge era, and we've gone through 3 or 4 different revolutions of rock and roll since then. What does that make him now?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I haven't been this excited since The Spaghetti Incident? !!!
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

First off, I am getting it. I've got the entire GnR catalog, so this is a must.

I'm really interested to see the numbers this album moves. I can't decide if anticipation is so great that it will be a huge mover or if apathy set in years ago waiting for this album and no one other than the diehards grab it. Based on the Best Buy promotion, I'm guessing they're anticipating decent sales.

Also, remember to go to Dr. Pepper's website on the date of the album release to get your coupon for a free 20 oz. bottle of Dr. Pepper. I'm sure many of you know the story, but some bigwig at Dr. Pepper made an announcement earlier this year that if Chinese Democracy were released in 2008, he'd give everyone free Dr. Pepper.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I really am not excited by it. I still enjoy a lot of the classic G'n'R (I actually wasn't into them as a kid in the early '90s, since they seemed to be the band that all my friends jabbered endlessly about, and I became apathetic about them...but I got into them later), but I am not excited about this. I'm somewhat curious to hear the instrumentation, but Axl's attitude is such a put off that I think it will be hard to get into a lot of the songs. I don't plan on buying the album, but if I hear any singles that I like, I might download them off itunes or whatever.

Fun fact: Former Replacements bass player Tommy Stinson has been with the band ten years already. Kind of puts in perspective how long this thing has been going on for.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I heard one song and thought it was terrible. I can't put my finger on really what Axl and cronies are trying to accomplish. As mentioned, without Slash there may still be some great solos overall by Buckethead (assuming he's still in), but not the same way Slash did to give it that GnR sound.

Axl makes me upset because there was rumors to be a Replacements tour, reunion, whatever, and he wouldn't let Tommy Stinson be a part of it because they needed to go on tour. Then it was cancelled like 10 days into the 30 day tour.

For those diehards picking it up who have not heard anything yet, search around on google, you can listen to one or two of the songs online on various webpages. It may change your mind.

Of the two single already released "Chinese Democracy" and "Better" I like them both, but "Better" is a much better track. I have read a lot of reviews from various publications thus far and all are positive. People always want to complain about no Slash but the other players that have played on this record: Buckethead, Robin Finck, Richard Fortus and Bumblefoot are no slouches. I have only heard a demo version of "There Was A Time" and can't wait to hear the finished product but I don't know how anyone can't be impressed with the guitar work in that song. To me, yes having Slash and the other original Guns would be cool but when I think GNR I don't think Slash, Izzy and Duff. I think the lead singer, the guy who writes and sings the songs. That is Axl. Just my opinion.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Wow, I'm really in the minority. If the local Best Buy stores will be open at midnight on the 23rd, I will be there. I cannot wait for this album to come out.

For those who haven't heard them yet, wait until you hear Better, I.R.S., and Madagascar. It will make you change your mind about the album.

Wow, I'm really in the minority. If the local Best Buy stores will be open at midnight on the 23rd, I will be there. I cannot wait for this album to come out.
I'm with you, if a Best Buy in the Milwaukee area opened at midnight I would be there.

Even the lead singer of the Eagles of Death Metal who HATES Axl Rose has heard the finished record and said it is very good and well done.

Chuck Klosterman gave it an A-. He is as hipster as it gets.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Chuck Klosterman gave it an A-. He is as hipster as it gets.
Chuck Klosterman loves any and all metal, so this is right up his alley.

That said, with all the build-up, all the delays, and all the hype due to the build-up and delays, that this album is getting any positive attention at all is rather remarkable.

I had no idea that GNR was doing another CD until seeing this thread. I liked then briefly while in high school, haven't listened to them in many years though. Last time i saw Axel Rose on TV, he looked liked a walking dead person and his voice was horrific. Hopefully for his sake, he's cleaned up some.

Archived