Brewer Fanatic

Pedroia named AL MVP

crewcrazy

I don't know that there was anyone that really deserved the MVP in the AL. Pedroia's numbers don't strike me as MVP worthy but it did come at 2nd base which should be taken into consideration. I certainly don't think Mauer, Morneau, or Krod deserved the MVP either so I am fine with Pedroia. Who put Krod 1st? That seems like a major stretch to me that was completely based on the stupid save stat. There were a ton of relievers that were better than him last year.

In 2008, Pedroia ranked 9th in the AL in The Hardball Times's RC (108), 23d in GPA (.281), and 18th in OPS (.869). Somehow I still let the MVP voting surprise/bother me. That's right, AL MVP with an OPS of .869.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm fine with Pedroia. When you add defense and position into the mix he was as good as any of the other choices and certainly better than KRod or Morneau.
Pedroia: 326/.376/.493

Kinsler: .319/.375/.517

Just sayin'....

If you're going to give it to someone for the combination of defense and offense, then why not Joe Mauer, who had a wonderful season. I agree though, no real standout in the AL this year. Except ARod, who had MVP worthy numbers. Unfortunately they were merely average for him.

I have no problems with Pedroia winning this award. The only person with a higher VoRP in the AL was Sizemore, and it was close. If Kinsler had stayed healthy and kept his line, I would probably be voting for him.

I have major issues with Morneau getting 2nd. He wasn't even the best player on his team overall.

Pedroia 2008

Home: .344/.393/.519/.911

Away: .309/.359/.468/.827

I just don't think this was the right guy to win. Those are Coors-esque home/road differentials.

Those aren't that bad. Braun was .987 at home and .795 away. Fenway's not that great a hitters park.

Pedroia 2008

Home: .344/.393/.519/.911

Away: .309/.359/.468/.827

I just don't think this was the right guy to win. Those are Coors-esque home/road differentials.

Those are nothing compared to Coors splits. Often times with Coors you will see splits in the upper 900s and upper to mid 600s. Most players play better at home and .80 points isnt huge, especially since most of that is BA and most likely BABIP.

I'm still baffled as to how Chase Utley could hit .292/.380/.535 and by all accounts play better much defense than Pedroia, not to mention play for the World Series champion, and finish 15th in the NL. You might say Pedroia's .326/.376/.493 tends to be overrated because of the average, but they almost gave the NL MVP to Howard and he's certainly not a high-average guy.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm still baffled as to how Chase Utley could hit .292/.380/.535 and by all accounts play better much defense than Pedroia, not to mention play for the World Series champion, and finish 15th in the NL. You might say Pedroia's .326/.376/.493 tends to be overrated because of the average, but they almost gave the NL MVP to Howard and he's certainly not a high-average guy.
Rob Neyer over at ESPN talks about this also -- http://sports.espn.go.com...710934&name=Neyer_Rob

Makes his case for Mauer - which I happen to agree with. Pedoria's a fine player, but a bit of a stretch as MVP. Kind of a weird year, however, in the AL.

If you're going to give it to someone for the combination of defense and offense, then why not Joe Mauer, who had a wonderful season.

Agreed -- I am not sure what is more valuable than a catcher who wins batting titles.

If Jason Varitek had Joe Mauer's numbers, he would have gotten every single first-place vote. (Hell, they might even have decided to name the MVP award after him.)

Archived