Brewer Fanatic

Iribarren and Rottino...What's the future hold?

joepepsi

Iribarren seems to have some on base skills, he's a lefty, still fairly young though time is running out. He doesn't run and doesn't have power. Still, could he be the Brewers version of Mike Fontenot? Can he play 2B everyday if Rickie were traded? At least for a season, with a veteran backup? If so why did he play 100 games in the OF in AAA this season? As an OF'er he has almost no value, right?

Vinnie was sent down to Nashville right before Opening Day told to prepare himself as the next Brewer starting catcher. How did that work out? He'll be 29 next April. He's always hit pretty well for a middle infielder. Last year as a catcher, his numbers went down noticeably. Still, if he hit 250-260 in the majors and maintained some of the obp, he'd make a nifty backup catcher. On the other hand, Rivera already is a nifty major league backup catcher.

So, what's the story on these guys' future? What's to become of Hernan and Vinny?

It's pretty simple. They have to win jobs in spring. If they don't they will be exposed to waivers and if not claimed, they will either accept an assignment (if the Brewers want them) or be released.

Hernan probably has more going for him. If Counsell isn't brought back, and no other veteran infielder is brought in, then he has a decent shot at the 25th roster spot. He's certainly not hurting his cause by raking in winter ball. He also has a minimum salary and they are going to have to save on the bench.

I think the handwriting is on the wall for Rottino. It was telling that Salome seemed to be the choice when a 3rd catcher was used in September. Salome is undoubtedly going to be number 1 catcher at Nashville to start the year. Rottino has to beat out Rivera. It's possible he could, but the way Rivera handled the inactivity last season, why change? It's not like Rottino is all that young or that he's significantly cheaper than Rivera. If Kendall got hurt and missed substantial time, then they'll bypass either Rivera or Rottino and go to Salome anyway.

Iribarren actually has decent speed. His problem is getting good reads and jumps on stolen base attempts, but he has always hit his fair share of triples, and led the Southern League in that category in 2007 IIRC. He currently is hitting extremely well playing in the fall/winter Venezuelan League, hitting .337 while showing a good eye at the plate, slugging above .500 and having more success on the basepaths. As JB noted, he's a left-handed hitter, and has enjoyed a lot more success against RHPs, which would be a valuable asset for the Brewers bench. Him playing the OF was an attempt by the Brewers to maximize his value through versatility. He has hit at every level he has played, and could be a valuable (and cheap) bench option for the '09 season.

I'm not sure if he's an everyday option for 2B or CF, but he's the closest thing to a prototyipcal leadoff hitter that the Brewers have in the upper levels of their system.

They had an interview with one of the Brewers minor league guys last summer on 1570 in Appleton. Can't remember off hand if it was Money, I think it was, he gave a basic run down the AA team. According to him Solome was great at everything except calling a game. He may have the offensive side down but he apparntly still needs work on his defense and game calling.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I don't want to sound like a jerk since I know Vinny gets some love here, but I really don't see him fitting in the Brewers future. I think his best bet would be another organization...especially if he sticks at catcher. If they move him, he may have a chance.

I think the handwriting is on the wall for Rottino. It was telling that Salome seemed to be the choice when a 3rd catcher was used in September. Salome is undoubtedly going to be number 1 catcher at Nashville to start the year. Rottino has to beat out Rivera. It's possible he could, but the way Rivera handled the inactivity last season, why change? It's not like Rottino is all that young or that he's significantly cheaper than Rivera. If Kendall got hurt and missed substantial time, then they'll bypass either Rivera or Rottino and go to Salome anyway.

Good points here JB. What I find interesting is that Rottino's versatility (don't forget he can handle some IF duty as well) actually pits him a bit against Iribarren as well. The Hurricane's LH status obviously helps him intangibly, but I can't imagine there's that much difference in talent. I don't mean that as a knock at either player, either -- I think both Hernan & Vinny could contribute in a part-time role

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Rottino... may not be the future starting catcher, but he is going to be a valuable bench player at worst. Considering he was learning a new position full-time, I'm not holding his dropoff against him. Salome may beat him out as the starter, but Rottino becomes the Brewers' backup 1B/3B/LF/RF/3rd catcher. The team could do MUCH worse off the bench, and has. If Escobar is Counsell's replacement, then that's three out of six positions on the bench filled.

Figure Irribarren competes with TGJ for the backup CF job. Then that leaves two more from whoever the Brewers hav. Call it the other half of a Hall/Branyan platoon and Brad Nelson.

So, that makes the Brewers' bench:

Rivera ©

Rottino (C/1B/3B/LF/RF)

Escobar (SS/2B)

Hall (3B/SS/2B/CF) or Branyan (3B/1B/LF/RF)

Nelson (LF/1B/RF)

Irribarren (CF/2B)

There's too many guys (all younger) ahead of Rottino at his other positions for him to stick as a backup anywhere but at catcher. He doesn't hit well enough to backup at corner OF or 1B and McGehee and or Heether are much better bets at 3B. McGehee can even catch in a pinch too.

Frankly, he is what he is and that's a AAA player. At age 29 unless and until he puts up a monster year somewhere, he's likely to stay a AAA player for the duration.

I like the idea of Irribarren filling the backup infielder/CF role next year, as he adds some needed skills and is cheap. He should definitely get a long look in Spring Training.

I see Rottino as more of a third catcher/utility guy than a backup catcher, so I think his future could be determined somewhat by what happens with Bill Hall. If we pick up a full-time 3B, or move Hardy to 3B, then Billy would be the "super-sub" and Rottino may not be needed. If Billy is platooned, that would take up a bench spot, leaving less room for Vinny. However, if Billy could be traded and a full time 3B put in place, then Rottino could fill the backup 3B/ third catcher role. Of course, the fact that Kendall plays somewhere around 200 games a season and has decent OBP and baserunning skills may make having a 3rd catcher completely useless.

Depending on how things go at other positions, both Vinny and Hernan could provide inexpensive but useful bench players. If we spend a lot of money on pitching & 3B, it's nice to know that money can be saved elsewhere. However, if we fill our pitching holes through trades, we may have extra money to spend, in which case we may be able to pick up a more proven player for the bench, and Vinny could play elsewhere next season.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Poor Vinny. I just can't see him on the Brewers. He doesn't hit well enough even though he's versatile. I think the Brewers should do him a favor and let him go. Someone always needs a guy like this and he may get a couple of years in the Bigs. He's such an uprigth guy, good effort, good organizational warrior--set him free with your best recommendation Dougie.

I agree. He needs to go to a bottom feeding team that is willing to hand back up catching duties to whoever has the best Spring. Going back a few years he would have been a better option than Keith Osik, Bennett, Bako, Moeller, et al. For these fringe guys, too much of it is about being with the right organization at the right time. Then when you get your break it's good to .450 for two weeks. That usually gets a couple more shots in the majors.

Rottino's problem is he is not good enough. As hard as it is to say he isn't.

Irrabarren's problem is Week's is blocking him and you need your utility middle infielder to play SS unless you go with just one backup OF but IMO that is severely limiting the power off your bench.

I guess I look at last year's stats and AAA stats of

Hurricane's .277/.329/.341/.670

Rottino's .260/.313/.392/.705

Neither of those are screaming "I need to be in the Major Leagues"

What I find interesting is that Rottino's versatility (don't forget he can handle some IF duty as well) actually pits him a bit against Iribarren as well. The Hurricane's LH status obviously helps him intangibly, but I can't imagine there's that much difference in talent. I don't mean that as a knock at either player, either -- I think both Hernan & Vinny could contribute in a part-time role
Rottino and Irribarren play entirely different positions.

Rottino: C/3B/1B/LF/RF

Irribarren: 2B/CF

Their versatility is more accurately described as complementary than competitive.

Those Rottino stats are cherry picked. If he is a bench player, he will not be a full time catcher. 2 previous Nashville years:

.314/.379/.440/.819 and .289/.363/.446/.809. Much better than you give him credit for. He should be able to produce an adequate amount for a bench player. I wish some of the big team players had those OBP numbers.

I hope Vinny gets a shot and I'll leave it at that.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived