Brewer Fanatic

Questions about Non-Contact Infrared Thermometers

InsomniacInkRoss

My newest toy in the t shirt printing world a non-contact infrared thermometer

It came with very little instructions, which is fine, because it's pretty basic. Point, hit a button, thats what the surface temp is.

I have already figured out it doesn't work on overly shiny things, but I was wonder about how fierce of an angle you can have it and still be accurate. Anyone know? Have experience on the matter?

We use them at my place of business and yeah they don't work with metals very well, I'm told because of the reflectivity. They do work well on our rubber and ceramic pieces though. I can do some raw testing to see what happens with one when I go from a 90 degree angle to a surface, to a smaller angle. It will probably not be until this afternoon though.

I checked the single point one we had at work, at 90 degrees to the heated workpiece (temp controlled) I was getting 140 degrees F. At 45 degrees to the workpiece aiming at the same spot and keeping the distance away approximately constant, it read 137 degrees F. At 130 degrees I read 129 degrees F. As I went to 5 or 10 degrees, it read about 100 degrees F.

So I would say that yes angle of measurement is going to effect reading accuracy. But I would say if you stayed 30 or higher of an angle to the surface you are reading you aren't going to have a variance of 10 degrees.

Hope this helps.

Archived