Brewer Fanatic

2009 Brewers On Deck Event

Dmiles23
On a little lighter note, one time I saw Suppan at the players lot last year and one guy explained to him that the autograph was just for him and he wasn't going to be selling it to anyone. Suppan just looked at him and said "hey, you gotta do what you gotta do, if you want to sell it, go right ahead." I thought that was pretty entertaining that a player really didn't care.
That's because Suppan's autograph is worth $1.25 http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

braun doesn't have a contract, bob mikita just tells him not too...so that the sweet spot is worth more, he has signed ss for free before...i've seen it...

crivitz - first off, i should have said this earlier, welcome to the board, there are a lot of collectors in the trading post, so once you are allowed in, please come in there, you won't have to deal with the people out here in the major league forum that knock the hobby...

I said this earlier in the thread, but I had two things go right for me at that signing. A)I wanted a Helena Brewers bobble signed, with very little room for a personalization to begin with. B) Right as I walked up there, I introduced myself, told Ryan I'm a huge fan, showed him my tattoo and and told him I collect for myself, am a teacher in Milwaukee with no intention of selling anything. Then I asked him if he still had to personalize it, he was like "for you, we'll let this one slide. thanks for the support"

He was very cool about it, and he's been cool the few other times I got his signature. When he first got called up, he signed at Friday's after a game for about 12 people, again signing multiple items during the break, and was really nice about it then as well.

Now that I got a ball and bobble signed by him, the only thing I'd want is a jersey. Which if I had to, I'd go to a real signing for. As it would look silly with my name on his jersey.

Also, think about all the other items you've gotten for free over the years. I have the entire Brewers team, most guys 2 or 3 times on team stuff or individual items that I didn't pay a dime for. Robin Yount, Don Sutton, Pedro Martinez, Willie Stargell, Bob Uecker, Fergie Jenkins, Robin Roberts, Gaylord Perry, Harmon Killebrew, Bob Feller, etc...all sweetspotted, all free. So really, for me to pay a guy's signature on rare occassion, I'm not gonna complain.

I know that this seems sort of random -- but just to recognize an extraordinary effort....

My son sent a card for Hideki Okajima to be autographed earlier this season....

Today we received a large manila envelope which included the following....

1.) A card with membership into Red Sox Nation

2.) Team sched for 2009

3.) A bunch of BoSox stickers

4.) A picture of David Ortiz

5.) A small bag of "Fenway Dirt"

6.) A nice letter thanking us for supporting Okajima

7.) 2 signed cards.

Needless to say, my son is going to be excited to dig through all of this when he gets home from school.

So, I guess my message is, that while we may not always get what we want, I think a lot of teams are definitely trying to make some people happy some of the time.

Archived