Brewer Fanatic

2009 Brewers On Deck Event

Dmiles23

We are going to the event at the Riverside on Friday night. However, the event on Saturday doesn't seem really appealing to me. While there are a few other activities going on, It seems to be be pretty much centered around autographs.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dmiles, i see what you mean, but i got him at the lot last year 4 different times, and i only went 7 or 8 times...

on a side note, shouldn't this thread be in the trading post?

it seems like every time there are threads like this in the MLB forum it turns into a discussion of how stupid autographs are...

We are going to the event at the Riverside on Friday night. However, the event on Saturday doesn't seem really appealing to me. While there are a few other activities going on, It seems to be be pretty much centered around autographs.

I'm going to both. The Winter Warmup Friday night sounds cool, we'll see. It says on the ticket that no photography is permitted but I'm going to try to take some anyway.

So has anyone heard what the Saturday event is going to be like? I wish they would make some announcement of what's going on other than the autograph times and what else there is to do. I've never been to the Midwest Airlines Center, but I'm guessing that when the doors open at 10, it's going to be a mad dash just like at Miller Park... only with more confusion because people like me are much more familiar with Miller Park than the MWA Center. I just REALLY hope they sell the autograph tickets in advance of the player signing so people can walk around and see what else is going on and not stand in line the whole time.

billyhallfan wrote:

it seems like every time there are threads like this in the MLB forum it turns into a discussion of how stupid autographs are...

Well, up to and including this post, the only mention of said topic was yours. A couple folks have said that they wouldn't pay for autographs, which I don't believe means they think autographs are stupid, just that they won't pay someone to write their name on something. For free? Sure.

This is not in the trading post because nothing is being traded.

I have 1 more question that is kind of off topic but someone may know. Does anyone know the hours of the Brewers Box office at Miller Park? Is one even open? I'm heading to Milwaukee Friday, and was hoping to save a little $ by buying the tickets Friday instead of Saturday, but can't find the box office hours anywhere. Thanks.

So has anyone heard what the Saturday event is going to be like? I wish they would make some announcement of what's going on other than the autograph times and what else there is to do.

Here is the brewers.com information about the overall event.

I'm a little torn yet. We haven't ordered tickets in advance because I was reluctant to have $30 go down the drain in case of disruptive winter weather on the 24th.

I'm usually all about the Brewers Charities Rummage Sale and the memorabilia vendors. But $40 at the door means $40 less available to spend on whatever merchandise is available. I assume the parking is not free at the Midwest Airlines Center, which just adds to the cost of the day. I think we'll decide on Saturday whether to go.

I'd call the Brewers' ticket office at 414-902-4100, or their main number (414-902-4400) to see if it's possible to buy On Deck tickets at Miller Park.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Does anyone have more information regarding the Friday night event. I know Uecker is the MC and they are going to have a comedian and "skits". We are taking our son and my only worry is about the family frendliness of it. Does anyone think I should be concerned?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Anyone also remember when Prince backed out last minute for the season ticket meet and greet and autograph appearance because he was unhappy about his contract? Luckily for the Brewers, Ryan Braun was nice enough to fill in for him (and this was before Braun signed his deal). I notice parallels here. I believe Prince won't do anything above and beyond the requirements the organization lays out for him. Hence, the statement I gave earlier in this thread.

Thanks Hawing, I called the ticket office and they said you can buy tickets to the Saturday event at Miller Park Mon-Fri 9-5 at the home plate ticket office, window 6. So if anyone else was curious, that's the answer.

BREAKING NEWS - now what do you have to say about Prince??

BOB UECKER'S WINTER WARM-UP AND BREWERS

ON DECK MEDIA INFORMATION

FIELDER ADDED TO WEEKEND ACTIVITIES

MILWAUKEE - Brewers first baseman Prince Fielder today confirmed his attendance at Bob Uecker's Winter Warm-Up and Brewers On Deck events as baseball action heats up this weekend in Milwaukee.

A number of photo opportunities and media events will be taking place from Thursday through Saturday. The events open to the media are summarized in this advisory. Any questions should be directed to the Milwaukee Brewers Media Relations Department, 414-902-4500. Please note this schedule is subject to change.

STAGE 4

11:00 - 11:45 a.m. - Rickie Weeks and Prince Fielder, $25

That's awesome that he's going to be there. But thinking about this, and I know this is a conspiracy theory, but I wonder if him not originally going to be there had anything to do with him possibly being involved in a trade? In one of Haudricourt's blogs this morning, he wrote that Melvin dismissed the notion of trading Fielder, and then a couple hours later he's added to the list of the On Deck? I know this is probably wrong, and has nothing to do with each other, but it's an idea. Maybe Melvin had told Fielder that they were listening to offers for him, and then just recently assured him he would be in Milwaukee in '09.

Oh well... Good deal. And hoping he shows up looking more like a football than a bowling ball.

I think it's great for the fans that Prince will be there! I commend him for taking the time to be there during the off season. I apoligize for the negative statement I made against Prince Fielder on this thread.

I do, however, stand by my statement that I made regarding Prince being a baby for backing out of the season ticket holder event because he was unhappy about his contract. But, kudos to Prince for coming in this Saturday and it raises my opinion on him a decent amount. However, according to TH's blog, it appears that Prince has changed his tune in participating in these events only because his contract talks are progressing positively. Whether that is coincidence or not can be debated and only Prince knows the real answer to that. The bottom line though is that Prince is coming to the events this weekend and that is a very positive thing.

To "And That": My point was that Prince was being a baby because he wouldn't do beyond of what was required of him (referring to the backing out of the season ticket event). He made a commitment to being there, and it was advertised to the season ticket holders, but then he renegged because he was unhappy about his contract. I never called him a baby for doing what was required of him. That obviously makes no sense and you need to read closer what it is I am posting before you criticize it.

I have been reading and posting on this board for several years. I have seen many people state many reckless things and incorrect things, yet I can count on my hand the number of times people have apoligized for anything.

I also think it is funny that people on this board are ready to jump down my throat when I am, or other people are, wrong on something, yet I only believe one person commended us when we broke the huge, breaking story on Yo last year. In fact, I remember many people on this board being mean spirited when we posted the scoop until it was proven to be true, of course.

If anything, I hope it reduces some of the lines for other players.
I'm sure it will. I would assume Braun and Fielder tickets will sellout first. Then probably Hardy, Uecker and Hoffman. Just my opinion. I feel pretty safe getting Dave Bush and Gamel/Salome.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I never called him a baby for doing what was required of him. That obviously makes no sense and you need to read closer what it is I am posting before you criticize it.
Ok, let's follow the logic train:
I believe Prince won't do anything above and beyond the requirements the organization lays out for him. Hence, the statement I gave earlier in this thread.
Prince Fielder is the biggest baby in the world!
So what you are saying is that since he won't do more than what is required of him' date=' he is a baby. Therefore, he is a baby for doing only what is required of him. Therefore, he is a baby for doing what is required of him. QED.
I have seen many people state many reckless things and incorrect things, yet I can count on my hand the number of times people have apoligized for anything.
I'm preferential to GorillaGrams myself, but I won't hold my breath.

Here was your original response to me: "Even if what you say is true (and it is just a guess on your part), Prince Fielder is a baby because he does what is required of him?"

Nice try on the sematics. No one is ever a baby for doing what is required of them at their work. Again, obviously that makes no sense. My point was, and I thought it was stated rather clearly, that when you make a commitment to do something above and beyond the call of duty at your work and in the spirit of goodwill and then you renege because of your contract, that makes you a baby in my opinion. Especially in Prince's situation, when he is really doing nothing but hurting his fans.

Please continue to do all of the algebraic logic you want to twist the logic or change the meaning of my intentions if you wish, hipster.

Again, my apologies to Prince for referring to him as a baby for not attending the events of this coming weekend.

Here was your original response to me: "Even if what you say is true (and it is just a guess on your part), Prince Fielder is a baby because he does what is required of him?"

Nice try on the sematics. No one is ever a baby for doing what is required of them at their work. Again, obviously that makes no sense. My point was, and I thought it was stated rather clearly, that when you make a commitment to do something above and beyond the call of duty at your work and in the spirit of goodwill and then you renege because of your contract, that makes you a baby in my opinion. Especially in Prince's situation, when he is really doing nothing but hurting his fans.

Please continue to do all of the algebraic logic you want to twist the logic or change the meaning of my intentions if you wish, hipster.

Again, my apologies to Prince for referring to him as a baby for not attending the events of this coming weekend.

Seems pretty clear BCR. Not sure if I agree or not, but its almost besides the point. Really, I'm just not sure why all the negativity towards you on this post.

My point was, and I thought it was stated rather clearly, that when you make a commitment to do something above and beyond the call of duty at your work and in the spirit of goodwill and then you renege because of your contract, that makes you a baby in my opinion.
Actually, your original point was:
Prince Fielder is the biggest baby in the world!
Which is the sum of your initial post. If you want to be clear, it helps to explain things along with a random blurt, instead of just randomly blurting "THAT DUDE'S A BABY!" and whatnot.

My final post on the subject is - baseball players have contracts to play baseball. It's great when they do go above and beyond their contract to help in their community, or sign autographs for money I suppose. However unless they have it in their contract with the club that they perform these non-baseball services, they aren't obligated to do anything other than play baseball. I think some sports fans have a very strong sense of entitlement in terms of getting autographs, trying to be buddy buddy with players, getting pictures taken, etc. What a player chooses to do with his time away from the field should be no one's business but his own. If a player doesn't like signing autographs, great. If a player decides that he isn't going to attend a function he isn't obligated to attend because of what ever reason, great. That's his right. It doesn't make him a baby, it just makes him a functioning adult.

What bothers me is when people try to assign their own reasoning (which may or may not be true) as for what a player does, or does not, do and then attempt to pass it off as a legitimate gripe. So and so player missed an autograph session because of his contract, so and so player doesn't want to play here any more because people boo him, so and so player dislikes Canadians and will never play for Doug Melvin and Gord Ash again. Conjecture is alright as long as the person doing the conjecturing is making is very clear he doesn't actually know what is going on with any certainty. When you start getting in to "Player did X because of Y" without a qualification of no certain knowledge, you start muddying the discussion. This is a great place to talk baseball - I'd rather it not get in to guessing the details of player's personal lives to try to figure out if there is any relations to their actions with the club, however tangential.

Archived