Brewer Fanatic

2009 Brewers On Deck Event

Dmiles23
I'm very surprised nobody has started a thread on this yet. Here is the link with the information. But to sum it up, it has been moved to January, they are charging $15 to get in, and up to $25 per autograph. I personally think this is stupid. Nothing can be free any more I guess.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, as I understand, even some minor league teams charge admission for events like this, so I see no reason why the Brewers can't. They need to find as many revenue streams as they can. I know people hate when something that used to be free now costs money, but a lot of the same people complain when the Brewers don't sign anyone to a big contract. Can't have it both ways.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

It is nice that by buying an autograph ticket, you're guaranteed to get an autograph. Beats standing in line for an hour and getting nothing.
I totally agree with this. I think doing it this way will make it more organized and not as chaotic. I would totally be willing to pay $15 for the event and then $25 for Braun. That is fine by me.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Here's what I got in the ol' inbox:

PLANS FOR NEW "BREWERS ON DECK" JANUARY EVENT ANNOUNCED; TICKETS ON SALE TOMORROW

MILWAUKEE- The Milwaukee Brewers today announced plans for a new format for the "Brewers On Deck" event, set to take place on Saturday, January 24, at the Midwest Airlines Center in Milwaukee. This will be the first time that the event has been held at the Midwest Airlines Center, and marks a change in moving to January (in recent years, it was scheduled at Miller Park just prior to Opening Day). Autograph sessions, photo stations, clinics and opportunities to acquire the latest Brewers merchandise are just a few of the many attractions that will be taking place at Brewers On Deck, which will run from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m.

Brewers On Deck follows the sold out "Bob Uecker's Brewers Winter Warm-Up" variety show, scheduled for the night before at the Riverside Theater.

"By moving Brewers On Deck to January, we will have a full weekend of baseball events for fans in the middle of winter, and we expect a full roster of players to participate" said Brewers Executive Vice President - Business Operations Rick Schlesinger. "The event will be a fan festival of activities with opportunities to interact with Brewers players and staff throughout the day."

Autograph sessions will be staggered during the event, and autograph tickets - ranging from free to $25 each - will be available on the day of the event only. There will be 250 autograph coupons available for each player and coach at the event. Cash will be the only form of payment accepted at the pay stations in the autograph area, and purchases will be limited to one ticket per fan at each of the staggered sessions. Additional details regarding the participants in the autograph session, schedule, and ticket availability will be announced at a later date.

A number of Brewers players and coaches will also be available for photo sessions throughout the day at Brewers On Deck. Players will be available in various 30-minute sessions beginning at 11 a.m. and continuing until 3:30 p.m. Fans are advised to bring their own cameras. Photos with Brewers players will be free.

Other attractions will include a Q&A Stage where fans will be able to interact with players and coaches; baseball clinics where children can pick up baseball tips from past and present Brewers, and a merchandise store with the latest Brewers apparel. Fans will also be able to purchase Brewers Grab Bags, with contents ranging from bobbleheads and other promotional items to game tickets and opportunities to be on the field to hold the Famous Klement's Sausage Race finish line.

--more--

BREWERS ON DECK, Continued

In addition, baseball concessions, interactive games, highlight videos, and music will be featured at Brewers On Deck. Representatives from the Brewers Minor League affiliates will be present, giving Brewers fans a glimpse of the future.

Tickets will go on sale tomorrow at 10 a.m. at brewers.com, the Miller Park Box Office or by calling the Brewers ticket office at 414-902-4000. Advance tickets will be $15 for adults and $9 for children 14-and-under. Adult tickets at the door will be $20 and $15 for children. Children two-and-under will be admitted free.

A portion of all proceeds from the event will benefit the Make-A-Wish Foundation and Brewers Charities.

FSWisconsin, Newsradio 620 WTMJ and The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel are serving as media partners for Brewers On Deck.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

Well, getting a baseball fix in late January makes a lot more sense to me than waiting until the weekend or the day before the season begins. However, it would be a bummer to fork up $30 for two advance tickets and then have to sit here in Madison because of icy roads or something. (I wonder what made the Brewers less worried about players having to travel to Wisconsin during winter. You'd think the 2007-2008 winter would have scared them off for even longer.)

I'm not into autographs like many of you are, so that part is not the draw for me. But a mid-winter baseball fix, that could work. Maybe Brewerfan posters could wear their bf gear and we can flash 3TO symbols at each other or something. Though with or without gear, I seem to be identified by at least one of you at every Brewer event I attend. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/ohwell.gif

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Kinda disappointed they're changing this. I'll freely admit, I'm a sentimental softie when it comes to baseball and my Brewers, but I loved going to the event right before the opener. There was just something exciting about walking around the park for the first time after a long winter, seeing the grass and the bunting up, and sitting down just to look at the field before the players came out for BP, thinking about what might happen on that diamond during the next six months. For me, it was a way to take in the start of the season without the chaos that is Opening Day.

Like I said, total softie, but I'm proud of it. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I don't mind so much the charge to get into the event, but I think charging for autographs on top of that at a team event like this is ridiculous. I'll never pay for an autograph, unless maybe it's a charity type event. At least the photos with players will be free. I think my son would rather have that anyways.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Yeah, I agree with Marc. I loved going the day before the season started just for the fact that it seemed to get me ready for the season. Back in Miller Park after 6 months, looking at all the new things in the park, and watching some BP... it just got me ready for the season. As for the paying part, I can see them doing 1 or the other, either paying to get in and free autographs or free to get in and pay for autographs. For the last few years I've taken a couple under-privileged kids with me to this event. They are HUGE Brewers fans, but can not afford to go to games. They always had a blast. Last year paying wasn't bad because you got to see a game. Now it's $40-$45 for an event that doesn't include any onfield activities and an autograph. That's my biggest beef.

Now I'm going to complain about autographs. It really bothers me that it is getting harder and harder to get free autographs. Players rarely sign autographs before games any more. They won't sign certain items or in certain places. I understand it's all about the money, but come on!! Do players who are making millions of dollars really need an extra $6250($25*250 at the event)? Players are becoming less and less accessible to the fans, and in my opinion, that's not a good thing. I think the Brewers do a pretty good job of making their players available to the fans with events like Autograph Fridays and the block parties. But I wonder what it would be like if the Brewers didn't do events like that. To me, the fans are the reason these guys are raking in tons of money to play a game. Many fans live their dreams through these players. I know I'd take a pay cut from what I'm making now to play baseball and get payed for it. And the players seem to more and more arrigant and less and less thankful to the fans. Sorry... I'll shut up now.

i for one am glad they are doing this, ya, the money sucks, but i could not, and cannot stand sitting in line for 8 hours, and then not being first in line, for whoever i want to get an autograph of, because i don't run as fast as everyone else, autograph fridays, any session, it is a mad sprint, and i'm glad that i can run, because if i couldn't, it would be hard for me to participate in stuff like that, i like the new set up, i've actually done emails suggesting something similar in the past...not that my voice had anything to do with it, but im glad it is being changed from the mess it was...

If anyone thinks the money will eliminate the lines, I think they're wrong. For some of the players (Braun and Fielder especially, plus Sabathia if he is by some chance under contract at that time), paying $25 is a real bargain compared to what professional memorabilia/autograph retailers charge for their signings. I'm not saying that it's anywhere near worth it for me, since I have pretty good luck on my own, but there will still be quite a few people in line early for tickets for the big-name players I'm sure.

I don't mind so much the charge to get into the event, but I think charging for autographs on top of that at a team event like this is ridiculous. I'll never pay for an autograph, unless maybe it's a charity type event.

A portion of the proceeds are going to charity. I don't know how big that portion is, but at least that's something.

I think it is important to note...

A number of Brewers players and coaches will also be available for photo sessions throughout the day. Players will be available in various 30-minute sessions beginning at 11 a.m. and continuing until 3:30 p.m. Fans are advised to bring their own cameras. Photos with players will be free.

I think charging for the autograph is just trying to turn some of the professional autograph seekers (looking to turn a profit) away in favor of regular fans.

I think charging for the autograph is just trying to turn some of the professional autograph seekers (looking to turn a profit) away in favor of regular fans.

I agree with that totally. And honestly, I think getting a picture with Braun would be cooler then getting his autograph. I got him on a ball already, I think I'm going for a picture with him.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

My only concern would relate to the last On Deck event that was scheduled in January: it was snowed out. I remember Ned talking on the radio about fans who "battled" to try to be there.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

My only concern would relate to the last On Deck event that was scheduled in January: it was snowed out.
Agreed. We didn't make the trip for that snowed-out event (which I think was the second year it was held at Brookfield Square), but since it was a free event, we just shrugged and moved on.

I can accept an admission fee for the event, but I'm reluctant to pay $30 for two tickets this early on - not because I'd rather pay $40, but because it'll be the week of January 24 before we have any idea what the weather will be like that day. $30 could otherwise cover one of our terrace box games in 2009.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I just looked at the announcement again; I'm surprised a senior price isn't mentioned. I wonder if there is one and it isn't mentioned, if one was considered but rejected, or if they didn't think of offering one.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I agree with that totally. And honestly, I think getting a picture with Braun would be cooler then getting his autograph. I got him on a ball already, I think I'm going for a picture with him.

i don't, i think it is a way to make money on something, plain and simple...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The brewers announced the autograph schedule for On Deck. here is the link

AUTOGRAPH SCHEDULE (subject to change)

STAGE 1

11:00 - 11:45 a.m. - Ryan Braun, $25

12:30 - 1:15 p.m. - Trevor Hoffman, $25

2:00 - 2:45 p.m. - Corey Hart, $10

3:30 - 4:15 p.m. - Tony Gwynn, $10

STAGE 2

11:30 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. - J.J. Hardy, $10

1:00 - 1:45 p.m. - Yovani Gallardo, $10

2:30 - 3:15 p.m. -Todd Coffey and Manny Parra, $10

STAGE 3

12:00 - 12:45 p.m. - Dave Bush, $10

1:30 - 2:15 p.m. - Jeff Suppan, $10

3:00 - 3:45 p.m. - Carlos Villanueva, $10

STAGE 4

11:00 - 11:45 a.m. - Rickie Weeks, $10

12:30 - 1:15 p.m. - Mike Cameron, $10

2:00 - 2:45 p.m. - Mat Gamel and Angel Salome, Free

3:30 - 4:15 p.m. - Taylor Green and Casey McGehee, Free

STAGE 5

11:30 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. - Mark DiFelice and Brad Nelson, Free

1:00 - 1:45 p.m. - Ken Macha, $10

2:30 - 3:15 p.m. - Vinny Rottino and R.J. Swindle, Free

STAGE 6

12:00 - 12:45 p.m. - Bob Uecker, $25

1:30 - 2:15 p.m. - Tim Dillard and Mitch Stetter, Free

3:00 - 3:45 p.m. - Mike Rivera and Eduardo Morlan, $10

No Prince...anyone surprised? But it is nice to see Hoffman and Gamel attending!

I know they can't have everyone, but also no Bill Hall, McClung, Kendall, or Alcides Escobar. I was also hoping for coaches, especially Willie Randolph (and Don Money would have been cool). There's always the block parties. Regardless, I'm looking forward to it.

Archived