Brewer Fanatic

TV Shows that should be cancelled

Bikeage77
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Simpsons: The episodes have gotten lamer and lamer. All good things must come to an end -- it's about time.

American Idol: It's going to be around for a long, long time. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be cancelled.

According to Jim: Do I even need an explanation?

Desperate Housewives: The first season was excellent, but it's become too outlandish since.

Family Guy: It's losing its luster.

Two and Half Men will be regarded as one of the best sitcoms of this decade (The Office, Scrubs, etc.), but I think it's close to running its course. On the other hand, South Park has been brilliant for the past 12 years. Some may not like the shocking, potty humor, but it never fails to entertain me.

Lost is dead to me. I watched season 1 of Grey's Anatomy and enjoyed it very much. Season two ended terribly and I couldn't even get through season 3. I stopped watching the Simpsons over a decade ago but found the first 5ish seasons brilliant.

Family Guy: This show got stale after the 4th season. Seasons 1-3 were great, 4 was decent, and everything since has been AWFUL. I rarely laugh out loud at all if I watch an episode of Family Guy. It's a bad sign for a show if they become self-referential in the 4th season.

Simpsons: It's reached the point of no return. There are good episodes here and there, but it's not worth it any more.

Scrubs: Did anyone see the last episode of season 7? That was the worst Scrubs episode I've seen in my entire life. Things don't seem to be getting any better for it.

"Deal or No Deal" (assuming it's still on - I don't even know)

About the only shows that my wife and I watch together religiously are House, The Office, and The Apprentice. We also watch Curb your enthusiasm when it's on. We use to watch ER, but stopped watching that about 2 years ago (I kept falling asleep during the show..they basically ran out of realistic ideas). I think this is the last season of ER..right?

I like Frank Caliendo (spl?), but yes, Frank TV is awful. Once in a while I catch him on one of the comedy channels on XM radio.....and for whatever reason, he's much funnier on radio.

My wife and I watched "24" for the first time last year. I realize it's Hollywood...but it's a bit too dramatic and unrealistic for me. Jack gets around very quickly. According to the show, it appears that you can get anywhere in LA in less than 15 minutes. The whole concept of the show is based in it happening in real time, yet I think they do a poor job at it. For example, aside from how fast Jack gets from place to place, it's 6am in the morning, yet the shadows appear as if it's noon.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I think I'd cry if Parental Control was cancelled. That show is through the stratosphere on the "Uninentional Comedy Scale." I've never seen a show more obviously scripted/staged before.

I think you mean Remote Control starring Ken Ober...boy was that a great show.

We should start a topic. Which cancelled shows should be brought back...

According to the show, it appears that you can get anywhere in LA in less than 15 minutes.

The show's producers have admitted that they have to break reality for the travel stuff, as it just wouldn't work with actual LA traffic timing.

Lost shouldn't have made it this far. At least they've got a timeline for ending.

Much like the Terminator show I mentioned before, CBS has advertised Eleventh Hour to annoying levels, so again I won't be all that upset if/when it gets cut.

I recall reading that the Prison Break writers had designed the show to run for three seasons when they originally conceived it. Obviously some changes have been made. The first season was outstanding--my favorite show at the time. I got behind in my watching some time during the second season and haven't picked it up since, mostly because I've been too busy. I'd like to pick up the DVDs and "catch up" some time, but I'm disappointed to hear that the show has dropped off.

Scrubs was great until they decided to make all the characters over-the-top. JD went from being "quirky and a little nerdish" to "flamboyant," Elliot went from being "a little crazy" to "completely insane," and so on. The season finale last year was kind of lame, although I read that it wasn't intended to be the season finale, but NBC wanted it that way, so they showed it out of order with the other episodes. I will watch the episodes on ABC just to see how it wraps up.

Yeah Scrubs got pushed around heavily by NBC and teh writers strike. NBC was going to dump it last year but just to stick it to ABC they didn't.

As to the cancelling of the Simpsons, yeah it has problems but given that you're going to get some sort of bad Fox sitcom replacement its not like the alternative is better.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

South Park -- More of a political commentary than a cartoon anymore.

Simpsons -- Just plain awful at this point.

Family Guy -- Still have some decent ones, but I don't watch the new ones unless I have nothing else going on. I used to make sure I caught it.

24 -- I don't care if it's not *realistic*, it's friggin tv.........who cares? I loved this show for several seasons, It's just that it's getting to be more of the same season after season.

Most reality TV shows. -- There's not very many that are all that creative anymore. Survivor sucks, and most of the "we all live in a house together and are sick of each other" shows........I just don't care for em.

That being said, I do really like Mythbusters. Another guilty pleasure of mine is Destination Truth on Sci-Fi. You can tell almost right away that the host thinks all the crap they send him to find is complete bunk, and that's what makes it so funny.

Lost = The Baconator or a Double Whopper. I look forward to it, totally enjoy it and then after its done swear that I will never eat/watch one again. But come the next time I am just as excited, like women forgetting the pain of child birth. It can't end fast enough but I do need the closure.

American Idol I feel will lead this country closer to the reality of Idiotocracy.

Ty Pendington and the rest of his crew can die in a fiery bus crash for all I care.

I think I'd cry if Parental Control was cancelled. That show is through the stratosphere on the "Uninentional Comedy Scale." I've never seen a show more obviously scripted/staged before.
I couldn't agree with you more. The staging is why I watch that show though. None of those kids are that clever to be coming up with off-the-cuff insults like that.

I also enjoy watching Next, because some of the things said on the bus I find absolutely hilarious. Date My Mom is staged, I find that show funny as well.

"Entourage season 4 was pretty stale from what I saw. I don't have HBO anymore, so maybe 5 is a bit better. Hopefully, because the first 3 seasons were very good."

Entourage's comeback this year has been incredible. The hour and a half block of True Blood and Entourage is probably my favorite right now

Yeah Entourage this year is awesome. I am not a huge fan of True Blood, but Entourage, Californication and Dexter plus football make my Sundays pretty rockin'

I was a huge Simpsons fan from all the way back to the Tracy Ullman show days. But have to agree, I just don't care if I miss the show anymore. The last number of seasons seem lame and uninspired. I just think they have covered everything and have nothing left for the family to do. I was even disappointed in the movie, not enought time spent in Springfield and the great cast of characters available there.

I watched the first season of 24 on DVD and really wasn't that impressed. I just found the situations way to improbably and illogical that I was yelling at the TV. How many stupid moves can one daughter make in a day? I haven't watched any of the other seasons but may give it a try because it should be a show I would like.

I still like South Park, I think the show has gotten better and more interesting with their own take on current events and making fun of themselves.

I tried one episode of My Own Worst Enemy, not surprised it was cancelled.

I wish almost all the reality shows on TV would be cancelled starting with American Idol and Survivor but they won't because they are too profitable.

I never liked Two and a Half Men so don't care about that one if it is gone.

I am really having a hard time thinking of a show I regularly watch that needs to go. Maybe CSI, I know there are some cast changes coming and it is definately needed. The current plot line is starting to drag (I haven't watched the last 2 episodes yet). I guess I like shows about crime solving or science until they get all preachy or decide we need to know more about the love lives or love triangles, or personal demons of the main characters. The crime solving becomes secondary to the character stories and bam, it is a soap opera. That is usually what ends a show, the writers get backed into a corner and start coming up with ridiculous plot lines. Give me a show about cool science, crime solving, and leave it at that, wrap it up in an hour and move on to the next week.

I'm glad the Shield is wrapping up, I hope they come up with a better ending than the Sopranos did.

Battlestar Gallactica is another I am glad is wrapping up. The last season started to get too weird and philosophical making the show drag a little.

Lost got a little hard to follow with the future timeline but they'll have me to the end because I gotta know what in the world this was all about.

agreed, South Park is still funny. and yeah, I've seen a couple episodes of Kath and Kim, and it's horrible; not funny at all.

David Letterman could be canceled. His interviews have gotten pretty dull, and Paul Schaefer has gotten pretty annoying.

I don't watch any regular shows except 24, but I have recently seen episodes of Family Guy and South Park that had me laughing hysterically. The Family Guy one was about 9 days ago and had the reference to being in a space ship as like being in a snow globe...I dropped my jaw in shock, then couldn't stop laughing.

The South Park one aired a few days after the election and had Obama, McCain, Palin, etc as part of an Ocean's Eleven-type robbery plot, with the campaigns being a massive cover to allow them access to key locations in Washington, DC.

I have never been an avid South Park fan, but I do occasionally love how quickly they take current events and weave episodes around them.

South Park - Should come on as a feature show only 3-4 times a year. They just don't have enough material to do a show every week

The Office - Nowhere near as good as even 2 years ago. The further they get from Dwight/Jim conflict the less interesting the show is.

ESPN - Reformat into a regional sports, get rid of the poker

MTV - all of it. There is nothing music about it.

CSI - all incarnations

Law and Order - all incarnations

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Prison Break - I loved the show for the first two seasons, but lost interest near the end the last season. Lots of shows go in circles, but this one takes it to a new level.

The Simpsons - Just put it out of its misery already.

American Idol - I'm just sick of hearing about it.

MTV (Everything) - Listening to Paris Hilton's my new BFF(my roomies gf comes over and watches it) makes me want to hurt myself .

According to Jim - Comedies that aren't funny shouldn't last this long.

30 Rock, anyone? Let me preface my comments by saying that I enjoy the show and even own the first two seasons on DVD, but Season 3 has been an appeal to the lowest common denominator with all of the guest stars. I'd rather see the show cancelled and wrapped up nicely like Arrested Development than see the quality dip.

30 Rock did this last year as well. Start the season with guest stars to build ratings (Seinfeld, Buscemi, Schwimmer, etc) and then do the same thing with the last couple of episodes as well. They usually integrate the guest stars well, but I agree that last week was a miss. I'd still be irrate if they canceled it though.

What is the deal with Kath and Kim? Has there ever been worse marketing for a show? All I know about it is it ends the same every week with Mollly Shannon and Selma Blair sitting on lounge chairs talking.

David Letterman could be canceled. His interviews have gotten pretty dull, and Paul Schaefer has gotten pretty annoying.

It's funny, I was watching Letterman the other night and thinking about how different he is now than he was 15-20 years ago. I loved it when he use to go out on the street and goof on people. I'm not sure what Paul Schaefer's deal is. I don't know why he feels need to interject into just about everything Letterman says. It's almost like he's lampooning himself and the stereotype of talk show side-kicks.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived