Brewer Fanatic

ESRB(videogames) goes to more detailed ratings

logan82
The ESRB has expanded the ratings on their website(link) to include a paragraph long description of what is found in the games. I would avoid them if you can because they are detailed to the point of almost having spoilers. I thought this might be interesting to parents and teachers who normally don't play games and I wasn't sure if it has been in the news at all. There is also a website called What They Play that goes into more detail and is parent oriented. It gives a rating for what ages that seem appropriate regardless or the actual ESRB rating.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I think this is a great tool for parents and it comes on the heels of yet another study linking violent video games and teenage agression (Article). I just hope parents take the time to research the games they buy for their children or maybe even sit down next to them for 30 minutes and watch what their playing. Hopefully something like this is another step in the right direction. I don't think increased warnings ever really hurts anyone.

I got carded buying Fable 2 a few weeks back which was a major shocker for me since A) Fable is such a cartoony game that I didn't think it carried a "Mature" rating and B) I don't carded for alcohol 75% of the time anymore. Either way, it's good to know someone is taking the ratings seriously. And I guess Fable does have some adult themes considering you can murder your gay husband in front of your children and then fart about it.

Archived