Brewer Fanatic

Brewers in on Gagne? - Final: to Boston

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love the Brewers to get Gagne. I just hope they don't mortgage the farm for him.

ESPN was just talking about "tweeners" - those teams that are in playoff contention, but are at a crossroads of playing to win now or building for the future. The teams they mentioned were Colorado, Arizona, and St. Louis. It seems as if the Brewers are in that situation, too, even though they have been in 1st place pretty much all season. Don't want to give away too much and sacrifice the bright future, but you want to try to make a run now, since the opportunity is there.

BTW, Olney just said it is looking more like Gagne to Boston. We'll see.

Quote:
This kind of sucks. If we could have gotten Gagne for little more than Gwynn and we didnt that is just awful. I really hope Boston is at least giving up something good.

Isn't this assuming quite a bit? If the Sox gave up Del Carmen or Hansen, its the equivalent of the Brewers givng up a player of Villanueva or Parra-calibur. Personally, I don't think I'd like that one bit. I don't even like the team giving up Gwynn for Gagne. Posters here are biginning to act like Packer fans did on draft day, ready to tar and feather Doug just like Ted Thomson.

Would the Nationals be interested in Gwynn for Cordero? Cordero got off to a bad start, but since May 15th he is 17 for 20 in save situations and more importantly in the Month of July he is 7 for 8 with a 1.38 ERA.

Quote:
Posters here are biginning to act like Packer fans did on draft day, ready to tar and feather Doug just like Ted Thomson.

How so? I disagree, no one is getting mad, just disappointed. I haven't seen a single "oh this is bull crunch, Doug" type posts.

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

Bowden from Washington is a crack-pot. The guy wants 3 players that can contribute for Cordero.

More like Gwynn, Vargas, and another player.

If that person is a reliever, you are really thinning your depth.

Although you do control Cordero for a couple of years....

Quote:
Would the Nationals be interested in Gwynn for Cordero?

We'd need to add more, but you'd think they'd be interested in Gwynn. Right now they're trotting Nook Logan and Ryan Langerhans out in CF.

The silver lining is that Gagne wants to close. Not sure how important that is to him though.

If he wants to close, he may end up in Milwaukee. That would be huge if we only have to give up Gwynn and a prospect (Escobar or Dillon are my guesses).

Go get em Dougie!!!

I have to admit I would be disappointed if Brewers didn't add any pieces today. While I think the potential is there to be a good team, I still feel they are a player or two away from being a playoff team. Not saying Gagne is that guarantee player, or even Dye for that matter, just saying it would have been nice to see them add somebody. Still an hour and a half to go, I'm still keeping hope!

Quote:
Bowden from Washington is a crack-pot. The guy wants 3 players that can contribute for Cordero.

More like Gwynn, Vargas, and another player.

If the third player was someone from the minors like Jackson, I would do that trade in a heartbeat!

It would setup a great backend of the bullpen for this year with Turnbow, Linebrink, Cordero, and... Cordero, allowing Gallardo and/or Villanueva to stick in the rotation (at least until Sheets gets back). We could also then let CoCo and Linebrink walk for draft picks at the end of the season and still have a nice setup/closer situation with Wise/Turnbow and Cordero next year.

I agree with that. But I have a feeling the third player would be Wise or Turnbow. I could live with it being Wise. Just too fragile.

The key, to me, is whether they trade Rauch or not. If they do, they'll want someone to close next year. That would seem like Turnbow.

If they don't trade Rauch, he'll likely close next year. So, ZJ would be a possibility.

Just grasping at straws...

While I would have loved to have Gagne, I'm not sold on Chad Cordero. When has he ever pitched in a pennant race?

Besides the bullpen, the other glaring weakness is at 2B and I think people are overrating the ability of Graffanino and Counsell to solve the problem there without creating another hole on the bench.

I'd be all over the Royals trying to get Mark Grudzielanek and/or Reggie Sanders.

Well things certainly make a lot more sense now. Reading between the lines I think it's clear that the primary reason Gwynn was acceptable to the Rangers was not long lasting love (my previous reading of the evidence), but rather that the Brewers had the best offer on the table that couldn't get vetoed. Further the speculation that Gagne might not grant picks (which makes sense with the injury lost year) means he is practically worthless to hold onto.

Now Gagne's agent picks up on the rumors and takes a look and realizes that not closing in Boston is still probably a lot better payoff than not closing in Milwaukee and signals his client might be willing to do that if properly compensated.

Quote:
While I would have loved to have Gagne, I'm not sold on Chad Cordero. When has he ever pitched in a pennant race?
When has Francisco Cordero? When has Turnbow, or Wise, or Villanueva? That doesn't mean anything to me.

Quote:
The deal isnt done yet! Dont lose hope!

If Gagne finds Milwaukee or New York more distasteful than Boston, he'll just waive his no-trade clause though. I don't know what he has against Boston (why it's in his contract) but I have to imagine he'd rather play for the strongest team out there.

According to the foxsports article, "The Rangers would receive left-hander Kason Gabbard and an additional player or players in the deal, sources say."

If that is all that they needed, I would have much rather traded the Inman package to the Texas for Gagne rather than for Linebrink.

Archived