Brewer Fanatic

Elias Rankings, maybe

And That

This is kind of fascinating. This guy has apparently figured out the mysterious and outdated Elias Rankings for potential free agents.

Take a gander. The free agents to be are in bold, the free agents with options are in bold and italics.

Sheets and Sabathia are both Type A.

Cameron is a Type B. The Brewers would have to decline his option, offer him arby, have him decline arby, and then sign with another team to garner a pick. Ray Durham is not a Type B.

This doesn't list relievers yet.

After further review of the list, Edmonds wouldn't give the Cubs any comp whatsoever, and if his resurgence is somewhat legit, he'd be an interesting option as a lefty power bat for the Brewers, especially if they aren't willing to pick up Cam's option.

If they're not sticking with Weeks (or if they'd like to have a vet-type off the bench), Grudz also wouldn't require the Brewers to give comp. Jeff Kent had a decline this year, but also could be an interesting option there.

Peavey,

I'm pretty sure they believe Jeff Kent is done for his career with some type of a knee injury he just suffered.

I really like the idea of bringing in D. Lowe to fill out the rotation. Lowe-Gallardo-Parra-Bush-Suppan is a pretty solid rotation, obviously not as good as Sabathia and Sheets at the top, but it would fit the budget very nice and would gain 4 high picks (hopefully 2 first rounders and 2 sandwich) without losing any kind of a pick. I really hope they pick up Cam's option, there's no way you can trust Edmonds to play even 100 games next year, where Cam seems to be a solid lock for at least 140 (without being suspended for 25). Is it possible for Heether to be a utility player next year? some kind of combination of him, Dillon, Lamb, Nelson?

I've begged for Loretta for years, but he seems happy in HOU.

Lowe is on record as saying he wants to play "out East, where they get excited about baseball". He is also from the Detroit area. He'll be a tough sign.

Heether might spend time in MIL, but it seems unlikely without an injury or three.

They made a revision and Derek Lowe is now a Type A.

Then I'm much less enthusiastic about it, but still interested. The Brewers need help in the staff next year, and where they are relative to the young players suggests that this offseason it might actually be worth giving a first to get the help they need to keep competing.

If Wolf actually ends up a B, that turns the Astros trade around. I still find that hard to believe because he's basically a guy who missed half a season and hasn't been dominant.
I'm a little confused by this. From what I can tell, Wolf has made 29 starts this season. I wasn't sure if you meant how he did not pitch well at the beginning of the season with San Diego or if you were referring to previous seasons?

I agree with the fact he hasn't been dominant, but in the 8 starts with Houston, the Astros are 7-1. What is more confusing is that his era is almost a full run lower, has yet to give up a home run in the "Juice Box", and has only 3 quality starts in the 8 he's made playing with Houston as opposed to the pitcher friendly San Diego.

Based on the fact he is going to be considered a type B and coming off a $4.75M salary, I wouldn't mind seeing the Brewers take a flyer on him for a 1 year with a team option for 2010, that is unless they are able to find the money to keep Sabathia or Sheets.

Lowe is also a Boras client. He'll go to whatever team gives him the contract that we the fans will shake our heads at the most. At 35 years old, I'm sure he knows this is his last chance to really cash in.

If that doesn't become as big of an obstacle that it usually is, I too would be all for Lowe coming to Milwaukee, as losing a draft pick doesn't bother me as much since in that scenario (losing Sheets & Sabathia) the team would be picking up 2-4 other early ones.

Another interesting name I noticed on the list was Brad Penny. He is currently listed as a type B. Obviously, anyone with a shoulder problems in the throwing shoulder is a huge risk. But the 2007 numbers were good and maybe the injury lowered his asking price into a neighborhood the Brewers feel a risk is worth taking. Any ideas on what kind of a deal he gets this off-season?

Seeing as Penny is the top starter listed on the type B, maybe I shouldn't have spoke so soon on his inability to move up. Theoretically, he can move up to type A with a few bad/below average permformances by one of the guys directly ahead of him, correct?

I'm a little confused by this. From what I can tell, Wolf has made 29 starts this season. I wasn't sure if you meant how he did not pitch well at the beginning of the season with San Diego or if you were referring to previous seasons?
Rankings are based upon the last two seasons and he missed half of 2007 with injury. Usually to overcome that you have to have a really big season.

After further review of the list, Edmonds wouldn't give the Cubs any comp whatsoever, and if his resurgence is somewhat legit, he'd be an interesting option as a lefty power bat for the Brewers, especially if they aren't willing to pick up Cam's option.
Forget Edmonds. His resurgence is a complete mirage. His HR's are almost all "wall scrapers", many of which are to left center in Wrigley which is the shortest alley in all of baseball (it actually measures shorter than it's listed distance). He also doesn't cover any where near the ground he used to. He still has value to the Cubs because his stroke is perfect for Wrigley but anywhere else, he's pretty much done.

I know Ibanez is an A, but his is the type of bat this team really could use.

Garland as a B is certainly intriguing to me.

Ibanez is the one guy i really want. Ive liked him for the last couple of years. Obviously i want CC back, but if he walks, id be more then happy with someone like a Garland and Ibanez. I like that idea JB

P.S. who the hell is CJ Wilson?

Well according to mlbtraderumors.com, Eric Gagne would still be a Type B. I see no way we would offer Arby's to him, let alone arby, but I do find it humorous. Also of note is Brian Shouse's Type B status. I didn't know he had accumulated enough service time to file for FA.

Archived