Brewer Fanatic

Cat Problem

Bikeage77

My girlfriend has a cat that's 3-4 years old. It's trained, we clean the litter box regularly (every couple days). Yet every once in awhile, it goes into this assault mode where it'll urinate on stuff (mostly the bed), 2-3 times in a week. Then it stops for awhile, then it starts again.

This normally only happens when she leaves her bedroom door open and we're watching tv in the other room. But sometimes it'll pee on the clean clothes basket while we're asleep, and it just becomes a huge waste of money and time (paying for the washer).

She thinks it's because he's a stubborn, I think he's a jerk. We both agree that it's not any kind of disease, but neither of us know what to do.

Does anyone have any tips? Scolding a cat is like spitting in the wind. But it's getting frustrating. Thanks for any help.

We have two cats now, but before we got the second one we lived in a very small apartment and our older cat would pee in the bathroom sink every once in a while. She's kind of a crabby old-lady cat so we passed it by as she's upset about being in such a small apartment. When we bought a house we had no problem with this anymore...until we got another cat. If the litter box wasn't spotless or for some other reason she would continue to pee in one of our bathroom sinks on occasion. I found a product online called CatScram that has a motion sensor on it and emits a sound that only cats can hear that they apparently don't like. I put this on the bathroom counter so if she jumped up on the counter it would make the sound and she would take off. It seemed to do the trick so we kept the CatScram device there for a few weeks and then moved it to a different bathroom. Everything was going well until yesterday and there was pee in one of the sinks again. I put the CatScram out again so hopefully that will do the trick.

From what I've experienced, cats are very fussy animals. If anything ticks them off they'll let you know about it and it doesn't pay to yell at them or punish them in some other way because they won't learn...even though I know she does stuff on purpose just to get me mad.

My nice lady friend and I have three cats, one old lady who's 13 (my lady friends'), and two kittens (sisters) that are 3 (one my daughters' the other my lady friends'). The old bird has had a real digestive problem for quite some time, and she'll go in spurts where she vomits and then is unable to control her bowel, and spends the next half hour or so pooping in various rooms. Delightful, indeed. Then, one of the kittens apparently got the idea in her head that if the oldest can crap wherever, so can she. And the other kitten? Well, she just likes peeing on rugs and clothes, if they're on the floor.

I just love them to pieces, I tell ya.

The old bird, well, she does have a digestive problem. Took her to the vet and they, naturally, recommended the most expensive food on the market, and a rather pricey medication that we have to somehow plow down her throat everyday. We've tried various new foods, each boasting something good for the cats' digestive system, but it really seems like she just goes in phases. We've passed on the medication, and are now pretty well resigned to just a)cleaning up after her and b)getting the wood floors in A.S.A.P (easier to clean).

The kittens? Well, it could be anything. Which is the only moral I can pass along. Cats are, duh, finicky. Any little thing can set them off, any little change, even if it seems minute to us. There are various items that can be bought to curb such behavior, and some work (see above posts), but more often than not, in my experience, if a cat's unhappy, they'll find a way to make you unhappy.

Geez, hard to tell from my post that I actually like cats. But I do. 'Course, I also like Ned Yost. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/ohwell.gif

our neighbors across the street let their cat(s) out for the night most evenings. Over time, I've noticed that our yard is getting torn up by the cats. I'll explain: in Arizona, most yards are decorative gravel, and not grass. Underneath the gravel, they put a nice layer or two of black plastic. But our front yard has several areas where the black plastic is showing through the rocks and, in several cases, torn up and out of the ground so it just blows in the wind like a flag.

I know it's the cats as one evening I heard the "scratching" sound that cats make in the litter box. I got up and walked to the window and there he was. I scared it away.

We also get dead birds in our yard occasionally as well as (rarely) cat poop.

It's a "problem" because it is destroying my property but it's not that big of a deal at the same time. There are times that I'd like to complain to them, but they're a couple of older retired ladies and what can I do? Make them buy me more gravel for my yard? There are times that it's aggravating seeing the cats "hunt" and "sneak" around our yard or on our block wall in the back yard and I'd like to get traps and take them to the pound. But, again, it's a couple of old ladies--I don't need to tick them off.

Cats are a problem, that's for sure.

Oh, don't even get me started about how my folks entire house smells like a litter box (3 cats).

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

"Cat problem" is redundant.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p182/kelseyandherdogs/Random%20Shtuff/CautionStupidDogsLiveHere.jpg

Speaking of redundancy...

The cats I've had all have responded well to cat nip. If you rub some cat nip between your fingers and rub the sides of your bed/around your bed with it, the cat might well no longer want anything to do with peeing there. Same thing for scratching posts... rub cat nip on anything they scratch, and they do not scratch it anymore.

It might not work, but a bed peeing cat is better than an anything dog in my book.

Cat stories

I live with a girl and a cat. This is her cat, and I like cats, but this cat is something else. It has no tail, which means you can't grab the thing when it's trying to run from you.

Cats are jerks, and they know they are. Smoochie in her life has pooped on the kitchen table, jumped into a bag with $200 of Godiva chocolate and peed, and many other things including seeking out my hoodie that was on the floor and pooping on it. There was plenty of other floor space to pick, but specifically sought out my hoodie.

Her current deal is if we don't let her outside, she will poop right in front of us. It sucks, but poop is dry and easy to clean. Until she starts peeing everywhere, I am just going to put up with it. Pee I will not tolerate.

So yeah, cats are jerks. I think Smoochie is lonely though, I think you should get at least 2 cats if you can't be with them all the time, otherwise they will go crazy.

Throw the cat away. Seriously. Or just have it "accidentally run away" on purpose, if you get my drift. I'd say that 95% of the arguments I had with my girlfriend were about her cats. Now that the cats are long gone and we have a trainable dog that does what you tell it to, my relationship with the lady is wonderful. I'm living the dream right now.

Take the cat to the vet. It could have a urinary tract infection that flares up, causing it to not want to pee in ther litter box because they will start to associate the litter box with the pain. Nothing, I mean nothing smells worse than cat urine.

My wife basically thinks cats are the spawn of satan. They are pure evil. That and she is pretty allergic to cat hair another menace.

When I grew up on the farm we probably had about 10 cats at any given time but they lived in the barn and just ate random stuff, I don't know that we ever actually fed them, I suppose we would give them milk every now and then. I would personally much rather have a medium sized dog as a house pet rather than a cat. They just seem to get on my nerves. It is fun punting them every once in a while only to see them always land on their feet. So they do have some entertainment value

We have always owned a cat and I'll agree they are a gamble.

We have had cats that pee all over the place and others that would never think of doing that. Some cat's hate people, others can't get enough attention. The cat we currently own is the best behaved, most friendly cat we have ever had. The day we brought it home, when it was a little kitten 8 years ago, it headed straight for the litter box downstairs. It's a black and white male. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it, but I'm sure the next cat we get will also be a black and white male.

I don't understand the cat owners that let their cats just roam the neighborhood. Why even have a cat? It's like calling the neighborhood rabbits your pets. Not to mention that these people seem to be completely unaware or, more likely, they do not care that many people do not like cats and do not want them roaming in their yards. We put our cat on a leash when it wants to go out.

I'll never be a dog owner. I don't want dog poop all over my yard and I don't want to look for and pick up dog poop in my yard.. I don't want to take the dog for a walk. Not only would I feel obligated to clean up after it, but I'm not into taking walks when it's 5 degrees with 20 mph winds in the middle of January. I think people who don't clean up after their dogs when taking them for a walk are unbelievably inconsiderate of others (it's on the same level or worse than the people who throw their cigarette butts out the window when driving). Same for those who tie their dogs up outside and then let them bark it up for hours.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

i dunno, the obvious thing is to keep the door closed at all times, but she won't do that, cuz she likes it when the cat sleeps in her room..

Blame her for peeing on the bed and needing the cat to blame it on. Then you can force her to make the huge sacrifice of keeping the door closed to prove it was really the cat. Even if it doesn't work I bet you end up sleeping on the couch so problem solved anyway.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Take the cat to the vet. It could have a urinary tract infection that flares up, causing it to not want to pee in ther litter box because they will start to associate the litter box with the pain. Nothing, I mean nothing smells worse than cat urine.
This is what I was going to say. My sister's cat had the same issue and it turned out it had particles in the urine or something. The prescription was a special brand of food. But that stuff's kind of expensive, so letting it run away might be a better idea.

Not to hijack the thread, but, ironically, we had to take the old lady to the vet tonight, as she was peeing or pooping blood. I'm no vet, but I'm pretty sure that's a bad thing. She's always been a thin cat, but she's actually lost 2 pounds in the last 8 months...that's alot. As the vet was explaining the potential courses of action, there was only one option, as far as my nice lady friend and I were concerned: pay the $300 or so to have them keep her overnight, get some fluids and hopefully food into her, and make all the necessary tests.

I realize and understand the hatred of cats, but pets, no matter what, are a part of family. My nice lady friend has known this cat longer than she's known me. I've had plenty of angry moments with this cat...she can and has been the epitomy of "[expletive deleted] cat".

And there's no way we're just gonna give up on the old goat.

(edit: language --1992)

Archived