Brewer Fanatic

MIN RP (& Madison native) Pat Neshek will miss '09 (TJ surgery)

TooLiveBrew

Per The Disabled List Informer:

After having undergone five months of rehabilitation, and having thrown pain-free over the past few months, Pat Neshek must now face the reality of undergoing Tommy John surgery on his right elbow. He will be sidelined for the entire 2009 season, and may be ready to return for Spring Training in 2010. An MRI taken on Tuesday showed the ruptured Ulnar Collateral Ligament.

Back in the early part of the 2008 season, Twins reliever Pat Neshek had suffered a partially torn UCL, but he and the medical staff opted for rehabilitation over surgery. At the time, Twins Physician Dr. Dan Buss noted that with rest and rehabilitation that he should be able to avoid surgery. A second opinion by famed surgeon Dr. James Andrews also supported rehabilitation over surgery.

Said Neshek, at the time, "They told me there's an 80 percent chance of a successful rehab, so it sounds like I'm not going to have surgery. I'm looking at trying to get back by Opening Day next year."

So, while the period of rest allowed for the ligament to heal and scar over, apparently the training he was doing over the past few months was slowly stressing and weakening the ligament, leading to the eventual pain he felt due to the tearing of the ligament.

From a fantasy standpoint, those in leagues that count holds can look elsewhere. The setup man for Joe Nathan is probably not going to be determined until late in Spring Training, though there have been whispers that rookie Jose Mijares could fill the role. Other options include Matt Guerrier or Jesse Crain . There is also a good chance that the Twins will go out and try to sign a free agent.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived