Brewer Fanatic

John Garland

GoudaBrew

Link

This is the second time I've read that Garland is "predicted" to be signed by the Brewers (the first time by MLBTR). I have to ask why? Garland seems like Suppan, V. 2.0 to me. Considering Sheets might cost less (in money and years), I would 100% much rather go that route.

I guess I'm in the camp that feels you should only pay significant amounts of money on top-notch pitching, not league-average talent.

Anyone like Garland as a Brewer, or heard that he's on the Brewer's radar?

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

I personally would like to see Garland as a Brewer for a 3 yr/32 mil type deal. He would benefit from a move to the NL after being in the AL for so long. After Sabathia, Burnett, Lowe, and possibly Sheets, I think we will start seeing teams more reluctant to dish out Silva, Marquis, Washburn, Suppan type money for middle of the rotation starters. This should make Garland available at a reasonable price.

I personally would like to see Garland as a Brewer for a 3 yr/32 mil type deal. He would benefit from a move to the NL after being in the AL for so long. After Sabathia, Burnett, Lowe, and possibly Sheets, I think we will start seeing teams more reluctant to dish out Silva, Marquis, Washburn, Suppan type money for middle of the rotation starters. This should make Garland available at a reasonable price.

Garland is 29 and has logged more than 190 IP in each of the last 7 years (4 times over 200) and got paid $12 million last year. I don't see him getting paid less going forward.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Yeah Garland is a fine pitcher, but I don't think he's worth near the money he'll get. Would he be any better than Bush/McClung/Villanueva? Probably not much. I'd rather spend that money on a guy who can be a 1-2 in the rotation.

GhostofQuantrill

Jon Garland doesn't excite me, that's for sure. However, assuming the Brewers cannot re-sign Sabathia or Sheets, that leaves a huge gap in the starting pitching rotation. Also, Gallardo is coming off injuries from last season (yes, I know Gallardo pitched at the end there, but he was used sparingly). Another durability guy like Garland might fit nicely with a Gallardo/Parra/Bush/Suppan rotation.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Garland is this years version of Suppan. He will probably get 4 yrs because of his durability but he is an avg pitcher at best. My biggest fear is giving a guy like this a contract similar to Suppan where we are stuck with avg to below avg performance for big money. Please Melvin stay away from guys like Garland. We need to either keep Sabathia which is highly unlikely or sign Sheets which is a gamble im willing to take. Unfortunately I have a bad feeling Melvin will get desperate and overpay a guy like Garland which will not help this team at all.

I'd rather the Brewers play every game with cats in their pants than pay someone like Garland 12-14 million over 3-5 years. That would be wonderful to run Suppan and Garland out there on back to back nights while paying them more than Sabathia is making. I'd rather run out Sabathia and McClung for the same amount.

I second the preference for cats in their pants.

Garland = Suppan Version 2.0

Unless he is next to nothing cheap, I wouldn't even consider him. And he won't be, because he "knows how to win."

He'd probably be our 5th best starter at 12+ million a year.

The point is that McClung really is the definition of a replacement level pitcher. Yeah I'd want him over Garland at his price but he's still not exactly a good 5th starter.

Which is why players like Sabathia and Sheets should not be viewed as expensive. An ERA of 2.90 vs. 4.75 is a large difference in talent, but if one of those guys gets 22 million (sabathia) or 15 million (Sheets) why pay Garland 13 million? This is what I dont understand about baseball economics. There really should be no reason that guys like Garland get paid what they do. I would think that if GMs just applied themselves a little more that they could find similar talent of much, much, less thereby freeing up money for the real talent.

Archived