Brewer Fanatic

Pick the UFC 91 winner: Randy Couture vs. Brock Lesnar

TracyThom

The title says it all. Lesnar is bigger, stronger, faster, and a better wrestler than Randy Couture. However, Randy has a huge experience edge and Lesnar's chin is unproven. I see Lesnar making a mistake like he did in the Frank Mir fight and getting caught in a submission hold.

My prediction: Couture wins by tapout in round 1.

Randy Couture > Heath Herring.

I think the UFC wants Lesnar to win. I think they really wanted Couture to come back to specifically fight Lesnar, and is probably getting a huge payday from it. Sooner or later Couture is going to retire. My head tells me that A) There is no way Lesnar deserves this fight at this point. B) Couture is such a better fighter than Lesnar it's not even close. C) Couture IS 45 years old. D) Lesnar outweighs him by 50 pounds or so. So...this will definitely be an interesting fight.

Like I said, Lesnar in no way deserves this fight right now, so I'll pick Couture.

What happens if Lesnar wins? Does he fight the winner of Mir/Nogueira? Say Mir wins that one, then Mir/Lesnar II has Lesnar as the champ? That just seems backwards to me.

I said I'd pick Couture, but I'm far from confident in that pick. I will say though, that with all the crap I've heard Lesnar (and Dana White) talk about Fedor Emilianenko, it's a shame he'll never join the UFC, because he'd destroy Lesnar...that I am confident in.

UFC wants Lesnar to win so bad because he's such a big name and a big draw. They're going to pick a lot of opponents for him that he can beat. After watching his first fight i thought i'd start rooting for him, but he was an undeniable jerk after winning his last one that i can't root for him anymore.

NDOG44 wrote:

What happens if Lesnar wins? Does he fight the winner of Mir/Nogueira? Say Mir wins that one, then Mir/Lesnar II has Lesnar as the champ? That just seems backwards to me.

The winner of the Frank Mir/Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira match will be crowned the Interim UFC Heavyweight Champion. That match was set up when Couture was having the contract dispute, saying he wanted to leave the UFC. The winner of the 2 fights (Couture/Lesnar and Mir/Nogueira) will then meet to unify the 2 Heavyweight Titles.

Don't forget...Lesnar needs to cut about 5-7 more pounds. If you try to do that too quickly you will be weak (any of y'all that wrestled in HS can attest to this)....
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

One can certainly argue the fact that Lesnar didn't earn this fight (yet), but that was a heck of a victory. I hope Nogueira beats Mir, just for the sake of seeing him and Lesnar square up.

I know 2nd hand info doesn't carry a lot of weight around here, and I understand that. I do happen to know pretty well one of the fighters that Lesnar trains with, and speak on a regular basis. All I can say from what I've been told and seen is that despite the obnoxiousness, Lesnar takes this extremely seriously, and puts a ton of work into being the best at what he does. It won't surprise me to see him go on a Liddell like run, unless Dana White somehow convinces Fedor to come to the UFC.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Anybody that still compares Lesnar to Kimbo Slice is just being ignorant. Is the guy an obnoxious jerk? Well yeah, but he can fight. It's going to take somebody better than anyone in the current UFC heavyweight division, which is honestly pretty weak right now, to beat Lesnar. That being said, in MMA, anyone on any given night can get a lucky knockout or submission on anyone else, but Lesnar defends well. Did give Randy his back in Round 1, but he's so much stronger than Randy, he was able to just pull him off.

I'd love to see him get 3-4 more fights worth of experience under his belt (and maybe a little humility) and then see him fight Fedor. Fedor would most likely win, but I think it would be entertaining as heck.

Don't discount Gabriel Gonzaga RoCo. Or Fabricio Werdum, who beat Gonzaga twice...or Antonio Nogueira, or Frank Mir, who beat Lesnar already. I just think when you're 220 pounds like Couture, that's a tall order to take on Lesnar, as it showed last night. But when you're 250 plus, with experience, Lesnar is not as lethal. Dangerous, but not lethal. Just look at the Lesnar/Mir fight, Lesnar was winning, but Mir beat him because of superior skills AS A WHOLE in MMA.

It was a good fight, I thought Couture would grind it out because of his experience and just because how good he is. But when Brock lays a few licks on you it's tough to come back from that. Brock is a flat out beast.

I forget the fighters but what about the knock out I think in the third to last fight? That was a nasty uppercut!

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

That was Jeremy Stephens. There were a bunch of good fights last night. Gonzaga was impressive. Kenny Florian was impressive. Dustin Hazelett was impressive. Matt Brown and Ryan Thomas put on a pretty good show. Great night all around. I love MMA. I really can't wait for one night that has: Forrest Griffin vs. Rashad Evans; Frank Mir vs. Antonio Nogueira; and Rampage vs. Jackson vs. Wanderlei Silva. That's going to be a great event too.

Archived