Brewer Fanatic

College Basketball 2009

heresrobin

I heard Jay Bilas make the point on the radio yesterday that when Big Ten teams play in the tournament, when games are officiated more tightly, teams scored more. I agree that sometimes Big Ten basketball games resemble their football counterpart so I went back to last year and looked at the numbers.

2007-2008

Wisconsin in conference points average- 65.5, in their 3 tournament games they scored 71,72,56

Michigan State- 66.7, 3 tournament games- 72,65, 74

Purdue- 68.6, 2 tournament games- 90, 78

Ohio State in the NIT:

In conference average, 65.2, NIT games- 84, 73, 74, 81, 92

So there is a small increase in scoring outside of the conference in tournament games and Ohio State and Purdue saw a pretty big jump. There may be many factors for the increase because it is a small sample but my theory is that the Big Ten game is more physical due to the officials letting the players play. They may be playing better defense only because less fouls are being called.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just over two years, ago #1 Wisconsin and #2 Ohio State played each other. Remember Illinois in 2005? I don't recall people ripping on the Big Ten a couple of years ago. It comes down to preference -- I look at the 38-33 score and cringe. Is that bad basketball? When both teams shoot under 30%, yes, that's bad basketball and they've embarassed their conference, IMO. There are no flashy teams in the Big Ten. The ACC has Duke, UNC, and Wake; the Big East has Pitt, UConn, Louisville, and Marquette, and all of those teams are better than Michigan State and Purdue. I prefer an up-tempo, transition game, closer to what we see in the NBA, but to each their own, I suppose.

craigharmann,

As most of us MU fans felt, Crean simply couldn't coach athletes. He always tried to play disciplined, slow, grind-it-out Big Ten style with a small athletic team in an athletic league. Williams has adapted his system to meet his players. Crean's style will likely thrive in the Big Ten over time, but it appears this move has been best for all parties.

I'm watching the Marquette/Georgetown game. Wow, they have done a great job of playing team ball. I wonder whether Tom Crean would rather be at Indiana or still at Marquette. I really think Sweet 16 is possible for the Warriors.
I am sure Crean would rather be at Marquette this year when they will be really good, but next year this team loses McNeal, Matthews and James. They are going to struggle pretty bad.

I would say anything less than a Sweet 16 birth for marquette would be a big disappointment

Great win for MU today.

I don't think MU will struggle that badly next year. Yes, I definitely think there will be a drop off from what they are this year, but they have a very nice recruiting class coming in with some good guards as well as some big men. And I think that Hayward will be huge next year, along with Butler taking a more prominent role on the team.

I don't think MU will struggle that badly next year. Yes, I definitely think there will be a drop off from what they are this year, but they have a very nice recruiting class coming in with some good guards as well as some big men. And I think that Hayward will be huge next year, along with Butler taking a more prominent role on the team.
In that conference I do think they will struggle. McNeal, Matthews and James all play over 32 minutes a game and score a little over 50 points a game. They are also the only guys averaging over 1.3 assists per game. Not mention they lose Burke who though not great still gives them 20 minutes a game. Hayward is going to have to be huge next year for them to stay with the likes of Louisville, UConn, Pitt, and the others.

Yeah, definitely an unfortunate loss. They had about a six point lead with about six to play, but couldn't do anything after that. Also, MSU decided to make almost every shot from that point on. Would have been a real nice win for UW.

the badgers were due for a loss like that against MSU. they have stole a couple from them in recent years, including a 10 point comeback in 2 minutes and last year's BTT game where they were basically out of it in the second half.

i really want to see them play in the BTT again. losing to MSU leaves a bitter taste in my mouth

Nothing like a nice 32-9 run to end the game. Losing to MSU is similar to the Brewers getting swept by the Cubs in my mind, I can't stand Izzo.

As long as Marquette finishes in the top 4 in conference I'm happy, so Villanova really needs to lose another game somewhere here. I'm praying for 1 win in the next 3, and anything more would be fantastic.

i have heard some ticket prices are up over $200 a pop. unbelievable for a college game in february

Yeah -- student section tickets are going for a premium today. I was lucky enough to steal one from a good friend for only $35. The campus is buzzing today, and I can't wait to get down there!

I just left the Marquette campus and its almost like you can feel the energy from everyone around there. Been looking forward to this game for quite a while. Should be a real close game. Hopefully they can get Thabeet in foul trouble and pull out the win.

They just said James is out indefinitely with a stress fracture of the 5th Metatarsal bone in his foot.

From what I can find, that could be anywhere from 3 weeks to 6 months depending on the severity and if he needs surgery or not. Major, major blow for their remaining season, especially the NCAA tournament. Sucks even more is he did it on what was a simple drive to the hoop, he planted on the foot, came back and came up limping and that was it.

Couldn't have come at a worse time...ouch.

Edit: They keep showing James on the sideline and you can't help but feel for the guy. I've been pretty hard on him the last few years, but you can see he's been crying. Likely due to the fact that his season is probably over. He's a senior on what could be a Final Four team and he's going to have to watch it from the sideline. Tough way to end a career for a guy that while he has his faults, was certainly a very, very good player for MU the last 4 years. Let's hope he has a miracle cure or something.

Marquette played hard, but just wasn't enough tonight. I might be biased here, but that was some of the most 1 sided officiating that I've seen in a long, long time. Especially in the second half. Thabeet had an obvious second foul with 8 minutes left in the first half, not called (announcers were all over it). Then in the second half, Marquette got called for 4 straight "touch" fouls. I say touch because two of them were a clean block or no contact whatsoever. Marquette also got called for 3 very borderline charges.

One more thing...why does it seem like Marq/WI always, always get the game of a season/career from guys? Vasallo from VT went nuts on WI, Price tonight shot about 70% and had near 40 points, that big guy from Iowa who was a 15% 3 point shooter knocks down 2 in the last 5 minutes of a close game. I guess that's only 3 examples but it sure feels like a lot more.

I don't think anyone would've beat UConn with Price shooting the way he was. He's already a great player, throw in the fact someone 6 inches shorter is guarding him for most of the game and he's bound to go off. Villanova is down 8 right now to DePaul at halftime, that would be huge for Marquette's chances to maintain a top 4 seed in the BE tourney if DePaul somehow holds on.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I wonder what kind of pro Thabeet will make? Seems like they don't utilize him enough on offense.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I wonder what kind of pro Thabeet will make? Seems like they don't utilize him enough on offense.

He doesn't have the strength to be a great center in the NBA. In the Uconn and Pitt game a couple weeks ago I believe it was Thabeet got dominated down low by a more physical center. He was getting moved back and was just being pushed around by a smaller center height wise. He needs to bulk up if he wants to become a good center in the NBA.

Archived