Brewer Fanatic

College Basketball 2009

heresrobin
  • Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Marquette and Buzz Williams really have impressed me this year. It's sad though to think that after this year, there will be at least a few down years before MU will be good enough to make a run in the big east...
I wouldn't go that far... top 15 class coming in, plus much more size to be able to compete. They'll be a younger, but more balanced roster.

With the talent he has coming in, I have a hard time thinking they'll be down for a few years. Next year, maybe... but I'll worry about that next year http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Enjoy this group while they're still here!

It's amazing that George Thompson's scoring record has stood for 40 years, but 3 guys on this team will likely pass him. McNeal and James should easily pass him this year and Hayward has a good chance of passing him next year. Add in Matthews and this team has four of the top 10 scorers is MU history.

It seems like all the close games Wisconsin has pulled out the last few seasons are evening out this year. Bilas kept saying last night that the team doesn't have an identity yet, and that seems right. They're a mess. They aren't very good defensively and they don't have any offensive firepower.

Bohannon is playing very poorly and the playing time he's getting right now is more than he deserves. If he isn't hitting shots he doesn't really bring anything to the table. Hughes is talented but can be incredibly frustrating too often. Leuer has disappeared the last month. I like what we're seeing from Jordan Taylor, but the fact that he's playing so much and getting the ball in crunch time isn't exactly a good sign.

On the bright side, Marquette is really looking like a great team that is a threat for the final four. They're very enjoyable to watch; it seems like they've really taken a big step forward under Buzz.

where's the best place to go to check out their recruiting classes. i had no idea marquette has a top 15 class coming in.
www.muscoop.com

www.marquettehoops.com

Both great sites, MUscoop has a wiki with an absolute ton of info. Anything that happens also hits the message board, its a great site. Marquettehoops is part of Scout.com, so they also have a lot of recruiting info.

With struggling Georgetown coming in and then road games at DePaul and South Florida, Marquette has a legitimate shot at starting 10-0 in conference. I'm still waiting for Georgetown to turn it around so tomorrow's game kind of worries me, though MU has been playing really well obviously.

If they can win @Villanova, chances are they will start 13-0, with a pair of home games against Seton Hall and St. John's. I think Marquette is due for a letdown in the near future, but if the stars align, they could be flirting with the #1-2 ranking in mid-late February.

Huge game tonight in Green Bay. The Phoenix take on #11 Bulter. UWGB has won 11 of 13, and have always had an outstanding record at home. Coach Kowalczyk is still searching for his 1st big time win in this program, and is on the cusp of his 1st breakthrough season. I'm not sure he is a bigtime coach, but I still hope he becomes one. He does things the right way, and holds his players accountable as people. I'll be there in person tonight, I hope its a huge crowd for a marquee matchup.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

im really looking forward to the louisville/uconn game tonight. lets hope these big east contenders keep wearing each other out so when MU faces it's gauntlet later this month, these other teams will have little left in the tank!

plus it would really help if MU already has 1 of the top 4 seeds locked up after only 13 or 14 games and thus earning the coveted 2 bye games in the big east tourney...

What Buzz has accomplished so far in his time at MU (even when under Crean) has been nothing short of amazing.

First is the recruiting. The last 2 years it seems all the big signings came from him, especially the big and swing men. Then he takes Crean's players and actually gets them to outperform what the did under Crean. He has controlled James and made him more of a true point guard, McNeal has continued right where he left off, Lazer has done the same, and he has gotten Mathews involved finally since Crean never called a play for him. Now they have 4 guys on the court capable of scoring 20+ points any night. While they are still undersized (a player like Goaty or the Lopez brother last year really shows their flaw) you have to like their chances in the Big East and in the Tourny due to that dynamic offense and timely defense.

And then the new recruiting class...how Buzz got those guys to commit to a program that was starting over with an unproven coach I will never know. Just think what he will be able to do once he has a proven track record.

Time will tell, but right now I don't think anyone is missing Crean.

Oh, and doesn't Buzz have a commitment from a 7' Canadian who converted from hockey just a few years ago. Supost to be a freak athlete, but still very raw.

I don't see it on ESPN, but maybe he is part of the 2010 class or something? Anyone remember this, it was in JSOnline a while back?

I havent been following this thread at all, but Bruce, the guy you are talking about is named Liam McMorrow. I think he is with the team this year but ineligible to play.

I am really getting excited about the NCAA tournament, excited enough to consider taking one of my two weeks of vacation this year during the first week of the tournament. This is so much better that how college football ends. Before the bowl season, you look at teams like Oklahoma, Florida, USC, Texas, Penn St, Utah., Alabama, and say well....i can see any one of them beating any other team, but you have to settle for the BCS crap and wondering afterwords who is really best between USC, Florida, Utah, and Texas. With basketball, you have all these amazing teams.....UCONN, Louisville, Pitt, Duke, UNC, Oklahoma, Marquette, and you can see any one of those teams winning it all. But with basketball, those teams all have to beat each other, and you end up with some awesome matchups. Last years Final Four was great, and I am really excited about this years as well. Wouldn't it be awesome if somehow 4 Big East teams made the Final Four?

Green Bay upsets the number 11 team in the nation, the highest ranked team the Phoenix have ever beat. Free throws won the game for them (over 90%) and the student section is on the court.

My brother being one of them. He called from the court. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Props to Buzz Williams. I was very leery of the hiring at the time, but he put together a fine and experienced coaching staff around him. The team has not only avoided skipping a beat, they are playing outstanding ball even though there isn't a player of any quality on the team that is taller that 6'6. Mix in the stellar recruiting class that on paper is a great mix of need at PG and some badly needed size, i'm very impressed.

I'm sure the team will go through some growing pains next year, but if this recruiting class lives up to the hype, Marquette will be able to stay among the upper half of programs in the powerful Big East conference.

Archived